Down Comforters

Grouseman

Adventurer
Ok, I am going to camp out of CDN 101 trailer. Tent set-up over it. No Roof Top Tent. I will have a queen size bed area. I don't want to use sleeping bags. I will put wool blankets over my sleeping pad for insulation on the bottom of bed. Also I am installing foam insulation board under my metal lid top of the trailer. Now I want to use a down comforter on top. On my next trip there will be temps in the low 30's at night. Where do I get a down comforter that is rated for those temperatures?

krick3tt

Adventurer
I am curious as well and will follow this thread with interest. I use an open sleeping bag with a military surplus type of filled blanket on top when temps drop.
I have not seen ratings for down comforters. Only for sleeping bags so you might use two comforters for the proper temp you wish to maintain. Others may have seen rated comforters and they will chime in for your situation. There are camp blankets and I think Rumple has ratings but I do not recall.

Grouseman

Adventurer
I have not found any rated yet. But I did read somewhere on the site where they used the down comforter instead of sleeping bag. Hopefully they will say I use this one in temperatures in the low 30 or low 20 and I stay warm. My sleeping bag days are over, lol Way to confining for me.

Vogold

We use an Enlightened Equipment Itasca down comforter. Ours has a 20* rating and have been temps in the mid 20’s and sleep fine in a roof top tent. They have options ranging from 50* down to 0.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Ok, I am going to camp out of CDN 101 trailer. Tent set-up over it. No Roof Top Tent. I will have a queen size bed area. I don't want to use sleeping bags. I will put wool blankets over my sleeping pad for insulation on the bottom of bed. Also I am installing foam insulation board under my metal lid top of the trailer. Now I want to use a down comforter on top. On my next trip there will be temps in the low 30's at night. Where do I get a down comforter that is rated for those temperatures?
There's always flannel sheets too.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Over 10-years ago I bought a down comforter from Feathered Friends. Had them add extra down and also a zippered lightweight nylon taffeta cover. I have used it extensively in all the RTTs, the Kimberley Kamper, the Kodiak tent and now the Escape 15A down to upper teens temps and it has never failed to keep me/us warm and comfortable.

It doesn't absorb humidity/condensation like cotton covered comforters and dries quickly if/when it does get wet. The zippered cover is easy to remove for washing & drying.

No regrets and would do it again if I had to. Cry once and get paid the dividends of such an investment for years and years and years.

Grouseman

Adventurer
Gosh that didn't take long. Thanks guys for the info. Maybe there are other brands that also rate their down comforters.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have an almost 5 years old Enlightened Equipment Relevation quilt for ultralight packing. These are more direct alternative for a sleeping bag than a comforter but can second the quality as I've been very happy with it. Feathered Friends is another solid company, can't go wrong with them either.

I suspect that ratings on comforters will be like bags and quilts - fairly subjective.

halseyt

An old Woods 4 star or 5 star down sleeping bag will unzip into a rectangle that covers a queen bed. Very warm and comfy. If you're alone and it gets really cold you can fold it over or zip it closed and it will still be roomy. Another option is a Vietnam Era evac bag. Huge volume and also unzips.

HouseVVares

I made this change for my RTT maybe 1.5 years ago. I ended up getting the comforter from Ikea. They did not have a rating per say but do list several offerings as "warm", "extra warm" and the like. I got the warmest version they offered and have used that many many times down to low 30s F. My setup is a set of flannel sheets and a flannel comforter cover. I often have a wool blanket I add to give myself a bit more adjustability for temperature ranges. Of course you can also use layers on your person to help fine tune as well. It is heavy and bulky but can pack down surprising well into a plastic bin for transport.

My experience is this comforter setup is too warm at temperatures starting around 50F but again there are a lot of other elements you can use to fine tune for temperature ranges.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Down is not a good thing for sleeping in a Vehicle or trailer due to the humidity from our breath, synthetic would be the better way to go because it will keep you warm even if it is wet.

MiamiC70

Down is not a good thing for sleeping in a Vehicle or trailer due to the humidity from our breath, synthetic would be the better way to go because it will keep you warm even if it is wet.
Correct.
like to see how long these guys last inside a car with a down comforter in S. Florida.

OllieChristopher

That is not true at all. That is folklore and a wives tale big time. The only true thing is down does not work when wet. The humidity of your breath is not going to get it wet.

On my next trip there will be temps in the low 30's at night. Where do I get a down comforter that is rated for those temperatures?

I would recommend to get a down quilt. This is the hot ticket for backpacking and they actually have a temp rating. It's a perfect solution for your bed in the trailer. And they pack down small. If you are in the US REI has them:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior