Double Fun @ Anza Borrego

turbodb

Part 1

Oh man, was this going to be fun. A trip like no other (so far). A trip with a twist. A trip that was actually two. Let me explain.

For a while now, Anza Borrego Desert State Park in California has been on my list of places to explore. Like Death Valley - which we've visited quite a bit and recently hiked for three days - it's a great place to visit during the winter because temperatures in the summer can get rather unbearable - so much so that certain roads in the park are closed from mid-June to September. The problem is that the drive to-and-from Anza Borrego is a bit too long to make our normal 6-day jaunts worthwhile.

So you can imagine my excitement when I realized that there was an opportunity to nearly double the length of the trip and cut the driving in half, all at the same time! See, it turned out that my Pops and step-mother were going to be vacationing in Anza Borrego for part of March, and that meant that I could take a page out of @DVexile's playbook and leave the truck in California between trips. We'd drive down as normal; explore for 4 days; fly home... and then reverse the process for a second trip 10 days after the first.

It was glorious! And, not any more expensive than two trips would have been - the cost of flights essentially the same as the cost of fuel to traverse the entire west coast. ?

Having figured this out with only about 3 days before departure, it was with some hasty research and planning that we were ready to go in just the nick of time, and we set out south at 7:00am - a long two days of driving ahead of us to reach our destination.

Time passed slowly but steadily as we drove through the rain and snow towards what we hoped were warmer days - our bags full of shorts and t-shirts. With stops for food and fuel, we made reasonable time - luckily missing traffic in major metropolitan areas as the miles-upon-miles of I-5 stacked up behind us.

Every once in a while, we'd get a nice little sun break.

Eventually we made it to the Bay Area - a short, 7-hour pit stop - before continuing south. Again, food and fuel were our only stops - warmer climates and dirt roads calling our name. As we neared our destination, spring was clearly in the air - the hill sides along the I-5 Grapevine covered in California poppies.

Some taco-truck fixings for lunch and a couple more hours of driving and we found ourselves on the final approach to the park. Not only that, but @mrs.turbodb realized that we could actually make part of that approach on dirt rather than pavement - so we pulled onto our first trail and aired down the tires. The afternoon sun was out, and it was windy!

As is typical for me, I gave the truck a once-over as the tires aired themselves down (I can't recommend a set of automatic tire deflators enough). Usually this inspection turns up nothing, but that was far from the case today. Sometime during our thousand-mile paved journey, the inner boot of the driver-side CV had torn - the telltale grease covering the surrounding area.

That was a bummer - I've been lucky to this point to not have a boot tear on any of my CV axles - but not the end of the world. Our CVs can run for quite a while with a torn boot - so rather than replace it with the trail spare in the OSK, I decided that we'd just let it be for the remainder of the trip, and we'd fix it when we got home. You know, the knowledge of it's imperfection nagging at me all trip! :boink: At any rate, we carried on, this first trail being a nice change from the pavement of the last two days, even if there wasn't anything truly outstanding about it.

As the trail wound around through the rocky hillsides, we got out to inspect a few old homestead sites. In each case, the buildings - and frankly any indication a homestead had previously existed - long gone; still, the stop was a chance to stretch our legs and enjoy the outdoors.

Eventually, the trail afforded us our first glimpse of Anza Borrego Valley - stretched out as far as the eye could see below us. It was spectacular.

It was also, obviously, populated - at least more-so than other places that we've visited - houses and cities evident across the landscape. That's a difference between National Parks and State Parks we figured, as we rejoined the highway for the final few miles down into the valley.

There, we passed through the town of Borrego Springs to fill up on fuel, before officially entering the park and heading towards our first in-park destination - an overlook of the badlands at Fonts Point.

As we'd come to find was the case generally, the road to Fonts Point was easy going. Primarily sand, there were places that were deeper and places that were rough - so it was nice to be aired down - but there wasn't much to worry about, 2wd just fine most of the time. It was just after sunset as we approached the overlook - the perfect time for the lot to be empty so we could setup camp for the night!

Of course, anyone who knows Anza Borrego is likely chuckling our naivete - Fonts Point is a popular place, and there were no fewer than 15 vehicles parked in the lot taking in the sunset. It was immediately clear that this was not going to be our camp site for the night. But we weren't going to miss the badlands and we meandered the final few hundred feet to the overlook. It was incredible - the badlands spread out into the distance, the geometric shapes of each crevice inviting our eyes to explore them.

As the color of the sky changed above us, we obliged.

Eventually we decided that we should take our leave of this amazing place so that we could find a camp site for the night while there was still some light out. I had a nearby place in mind - one that I hoped would be very similar and even perhaps slightly better - Vista del Mal Pais - another, less populated, badlands overlook. Less than 10 miles away, we made our way east off a spur from Fonts Point, and then south again towards the end of the road.

...where we were stymied once again by a white first gen Tacoma - already setup to enjoy the solitude!

But that was fine with us - we'd spotted a perfect spot about a half mile down the road. Sheltered in a side wash, it was just large enough for one truck and would afford us a bit of privacy from the road. As we got ourselves situated, I worked on setting up the tent, and @mrs.turbodb got busy making delicious hamburgers on the Coleman grill. A mostly clear sky above, we sat back and enjoyed the stars as we ate our dinner - happy as could be that it was well above freezing - and discussed our plan for the days ahead...

Don't miss the rest of the story, and all the remaining photos - it'd all be included here if it fit. But until then...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm 90 minutes away and need to get back down there.
If you want to soak in hot springs you can camp for the night in Agua Caliente County Park. Day use is about $6.00 and camping is reasonable. Weekends are pretty intense so a soak and shower and back to the desert across the road works well.

turbodb

Anza-Borrego Part 2 - Fun in the Sun!

We slept well through the night - my only complaint really being that at 55º-60ºF, it was too warm and I woke up a bit sweaty somewhere around 2:00am. It was a simple enough fix to remove one of the comforters from my side, and I quickly fell back asleep until my sunrise alarm went off way too early.

I wasn't sure exactly when sunrise was going to be, so I'd set the alarm for 5:15am. Turns out that 5:45am would have been a better time to catch the morning color. Perhaps a bit out of character, @mrs.turbodb was keen to see sunrise over the badlands as well, so as she got dressed, I took a few photos around camp.

It was a beautiful morning.

The pinks and purples of the desert sky always catch me off guard, and this morning was no exception. As we walked the last half-mile to the Vista del Mal Pais, we marveled at the marbling above us - knowing that by the time we reached the overlook, it'd be but a memory - the sun's movement too quick in situations such as these.

Not that we had anything to complain about when we reached our destination. The badlands stretched far and wide in front of us. Kept company by the owner of the 1st gen Tacoma who'd parked at the end of the road, we spent a good half hour or more just enjoying the view as the sky got gradually brighter - all of us with our cameras at the ready, not wanting to miss a moment.

The rising sun also gave us our first good glimpse of what would become a theme for the trip: wildflowers! While not technically a super-bloom, the desert was alive with color. Purples, whites, yellows, and reds topped off a blanket of green that shows itself only fleetingly each year.

Eventually it was time to head back to camp for breakfast - we had a long day ahead of us and I had a couple things I wanted to do in camp before we got underway. The first was to adjust the spare tire on the rear swing-arm. I'd installed it before leaving home - as always - but as we'd tried to mount the Trasharoo the day before, I noticed that the tire was sucked up against the swing-out. I quickly realized that this was due to the increased backspacing - 4.5" instead of the 3.5" on my SCS Stealth6's - on the new-to-me 4Runner wheels that I was sporting for the first time on this trip in an effort to reduce mud fling. The great thing about the @CBI OFFROAD FAB spare tire mount is that it's easily adjustable - so I zipped off the three lug nuts holding the tire on and moved the mount an inch away from the swing-arm. Five minutes, and I was done.

Next, I wanted to switch up the rain fly on the CVT Mt. Shasta. As I've mentioned, I really dislike the stargazer windows because they take a long time to dry when they get wet. So I worked with Bobby over at @Cascadia tents to get a new fly without the windows (something that new versions of the tent apparently come with now), and this was the perfect time to get it installed. I removed the old one, got the poles in the new one, and was just getting it secured to the corners of the tent when @mrs.turbodb said, "Umm, I don't think you got the right fly." Turns out I'd been sent a fly for an extended series tent and sure enough, it wasn't going to work on my standard series.

That didn't make me super happy, and I grumbled as I re-installed the old fly. Luckily for me, a tasty breakfast of cereal and blueberries had been prepared and helped to raise my spirits once again. Plus, I have no doubt that Bobby will make this right - it'll just have to wait for a future trip!

Soon, we were ready to go, and we headed down Shorty Wash towards Arroyo Salado to see what the day had in store.

The sandy washes were fun to drive in and we made reasonably good time except for me stopping every couple minutes to take pictures. But really, how could anyone resist - the sun was out and the weather was a far cry better than the snow we'd left in Washington!

Now, we were on Arroyo Salado for a very specific purpose - I wanted to see a couple of landmarks along the route. Specifically, I wanted to see 17 Palms, 5 Palms, and Una Palma. Turns out that the first two wouldn't be an issue, but Una Palma is... well... Sin Palma at the moment. :tumbleweed: ?

It wasn't long before we rolled up to 17 Palms and got out to explore. As is the case with most good folks who stumble across these oasis in the desert, we assumed that we'd find both shade and water as we neared the California Fan Palms. As it turns out - like many before us - the second half of that assumption turned out to be incorrect.

Still, it was a sight to behold, and @mrs.turbodb was quick to wander over and start counting the twenty-seven palms that made up 17 Palms spring!

We explored a bit, finding a post of bottle caps and a hidden mailbox stuffed with guest books, which we gladly signed before making our retreat back to the truck.

Even as we left the spring, the spring season was apparent all around us - even the driest cracked desert floor teaming with life - small succulents pushing through and making themselves known.

Windows down and fan blowing in the truck, we were back in the wash - winding our way in and out of the mud/sand mounds that made up this badland-y area. A fun and beautiful landscape to drive - new colorful views around nearly every corner. And it wasn't long before we found ourselves approaching 5 Palms - the tops of the trees visible a few hills away. As we approached, @mrs.turbodb educated me a bit on the trees themselves - turns out that California Fan Palms are the only palm native to the Western United States, and are "left over" from a tropical climate in the Miocene era, some 8 to 20 million years ago! (see Anza-Borrego A to Z: People, Places, and Things by Diana Lindsay)

Don't miss the rest of the story, and all the remaining photos - it'd all be included here if it fit. But until then...

Keep reading the rest here
Anza-Borrego Part 2 - Fun in the Sun!

turbodb

Anza-Borrego Part 3 - Stymied at Sandstone Canyon

We slept well through the night, our location mostly sheltered from the strong winds. What little wind made it to the tent was easily quieted by ear plugs, making for a peaceful night sleep. Most of the night passed uneventfully - a fact we were happy for given the weather report we'd seen the day before. We were right on the edge of a weather system - areas to the west expecting rain all day, areas to the east predicted to be dry.

But then, around 5:00am, a pitter-patter on the rain fly - we hadn't escaped the rain fully. Of course that pitter-patter also meant that there was no need to get up early for sunrise - the clouds in the sky limiting the color we'd have otherwise seen. So, it wasn't until 7:30am - when there was a break in the rain - that we rolled out of bed to take a look around.

Low and behold, the sun was sure trying - there was a rainbow over camp.

Our plan for the day was to start with a hike to the nearby pictographs, but with the break in the rain and no idea what was in store on that front, we decided to partially dry off and put away the tent before setting out. This turned out to be a bit of a wash as the rain sprinkled off-and-on for the rest of our time in Little Blair Valley, and we were going to have to fully dry out the tent later anyway.

With the tent away, we headed up the trail toward the pictographs. It really was a beautiful morning, the rainbow coming and going as the sun streamed over the horizon but under the clouds.

It wasn't long until we reached our destination - a rock along the valley edge where over 2000 years ago, Kumeyaay Indians had stopped to camp, leaving behind a bit of rock art and a few morteros - bowls carved into large boulders used to grind pigments as well as various grains and food stuffs.

An interesting bit of knowledge that @mrs.turbodb shared while we were there was that pictographs are images painted on rocks using some sort of pigment and that petroglyphs are images carved into the rock. Additionally - at least in the Anza-Borrego area - you never find rock art with both geometric shapes and human/animal images in the same area. Weird, but there you go - perhaps it's because the ancient people were respectful of each other's work.

We enjoyed the pictographs a while longer before deciding to head back to camp and get on the road - breakfast-less - towards our first trail of the day and drier weather. And, as we started back, we noticed what I think was a special rock - one with the top stained a dark crimson - the same color crimson as the pictographs. My guess, is that this is where Kumeyaay Indians ground the various pigments that they used for the pictographs. A cool find if you ask me.

The trails in and out of Blair Valley were some of the nicest I've ever driven. A passenger car would have been fine on all of them, and we made great time - stopping only twice. The first was in a small diagonal washout so I could check on the travel of the rear suspension. Everything looked good - the bump stop was nearly touching the frame and I still had a bit of travel on the shock, the leaf was mostly flexed, but still had a little way to go, and the shackle seemed to be doing it's job as well. Nice! (And whew!)

The second stop was very close to the end of the trail, just before we got back on the freeway. Like the yellow blanket we'd seen covering the floor of Little Blair Valley the day before, today we were treated to a purple display along the base of the hills in Blair Valley - making us extra glad that we took a different route out than we'd taken in the previous evening.

At this point, we had about an hour of driving to get to the maze of washes that we'd take north over the next two days. As we made our way east, we drove in and out of rain showers, the mountains keeping them mostly at bay to our south and west.

By the time we arrived at the Carrizo Badlands overlook - where we planned to have breakfast before heading into Canyon sin Nombre - the sky was mostly clear and it only looked better in the direction we were headed. I set about taking some photos of the spring bloom while @mrs.turbodb prepped our breakfast.

And then we were off - a short drop from the viewpoint down into the canyon and we were almost immediately in what I think was the most breathtaking canyon of the trip (at least so far).

Not only were the colors amazing, but so was the geology. The entire area had been uplifted in giant synclines and anticlines, and then crushed and folded into amazing shapes. I wasn't the only one who wanted to stop and get out for a closer look - we were both hopping out of the truck on a regular basis at this point.

To see that geology, and the rest of the story, with all the remaining photos...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thanks . You're a gifted navigator and photographer. Beautiful accounts.
The desert trails are really tuned for smaller rigs. I've gotten some serious AZ pinstripes down there.
Baja on the other hand was used by fullsize domestic trucks by the locals and I've found the roads are wider.

Last edited:

krick3tt

Adventurer
Thanks for this. Used to go out there a lot when I lived in SD. Really was a trip through time for me, it has been many years since I have seen this beautiful place.

turbodb

Anza-Borrego Part 4 - Elephant Knees, Wind Caves, and Dinosaurs

Having gone to bed with the wind howling, it only got worse as the night progressed. Having experienced these extremely strong winds in the CVT a few times now, and knowing that the ladder side of the tent was well-weighed down, I knew that the tent would be OK; my stress level lower than it had been the first couple times we'd been in this situation.

With earplugs in, we slept reasonably well through the night, though we were awoken for a few of the more violent gusts. In the morning, I'd tell @mrs.turbodb that a constant wind was better than one that started and stopped - the non-uniformity being the thing that caused our bodies to wake up.

With clear skies, I'd set my alarm for sunrise, and once again, we both got up to experience it the colorful illumination of the desert sky, starting with a sliver of moon just over the horizon.

Before long, oranges, pinks, and purples made themselves known against the blue morning sky, and eventually from our perch above camp, the sun started to creep down the canyon walls into Hapaha Flat.

It was still very windy, but having skipped dinner we were ready for some breakfast so we fought the wind as we poured our bowls of Cheerios and sprinkled fresh blueberries on top. We managed to keep most of the cereal in the bowl until an enormous gust of wind ripped through the bed of the truck, essentially vacuuming several dozen little O's out onto the desert floor.

Eat well desert rodents!

We got the milk poured and huddled behind a small-cabin-sized-rock to wolf down breakfast before packing up everything in the bed of the truck and getting the tent put away - no small feat with the gusting wind. Then, we had a decision to make - the evening before we'd discovered a pair of Agaves just about to bloom - their stalks climbing 10-feet into the air, their flowers just starting to open. I'd tried to snap a photo just as the sun was hitting the tops of these beauties, but had been 30-seconds or so late.

I really wanted to stick around to get a photo of them when the light hit this morning. And as it turned out, that was just fine with @mrs.turbodb - any excuse to hang around investigating the flowers, a big plus in her book. We had what turned out to be about 20 minutes to wait, so we took in the local flora.

A couple of blooming yucca.

A chollo cactus with a bird's nest.

An unknown cactus with a crown of purple and yellow, and a barrel cactus, bright yellow in the morning sun.

An agave sending up it's stalk - unaware that upon its completion of flowering, the entire plant will die.

And, chollos shedding what I deemed "chollo balls" everywhere. As it turns out, everyone tries picking up one of these balls only once. Except for me - I tried twice. Overachiever or slow learner? :notsure:

And then the sun peaked over the hilltop and just kissed the tops of the agaves we'd been waiting for. With the blue sky, clouds, and hills in the background, I thought it was worth it.

Oh, and just then, the wind stopped. It didn't taper off slowly or gust a few final times - it just stopped. It wasn't the best timing in the world - I mean, it could have stopped 9-hours earlier and we'd have been a lot happier - but we weren't complaining. I changed into shorts and we lathered on the sunscreen, and we hopped in the truck and started down Fish Creek wash just before 8:00am, excited to see what the day had in store - starting with some amazing alluvial fanglomerate.

Having driven much of it the day before, we made quick work of Fish Creek, excited to see what lay ahead on Split Mountain Road, and whatever we'd choose to explore after that. And, it wasn't long before we ran into our first opportunity to get out and explore.

We didn't know what exactly we'd spotted since they were nearly a quarter mile off the road, but as we got closer, I realized that these were some mud caves! We'd not expected them here at all - though there was another trail where we planned to see some - and so we hopped around exploring for a good 15 minutes. Mud caves - as far as I can tell - are formed when water starts seeping down into a porous badland hill (for lack of a better term), and then exits somewhere lower down the hill - sometimes even on the opposite side of the hill. Over time, water flowing through this path excavates the dirt inside and it becomes a cave.

The "problem" is that you never really know where the excavations have happened underground - so walking around near any visible mud cave means that there's a reasonable chance the the ground under you is hollow! I ran into this first hand as I nearly stepped on a few rocks embedded in the mud, before noticing that there was darkness below them - the rocks the only thing between me and a 8-foot drop into a mud cave.

Counting ourselves lucky to have found the mud caves and to have explored the area without incident, we made our way back to the truck and continued down the wash in our normal stop-and-go manner. With a beautiful morning like this, how could we not?

turbodb

Thanks . You're a gifted navigator and photographer. Beautiful accounts.
The desert trails are really tuned for smaller rigs. I've gotten some serious AZ pinstripes down there.
Baja on the other hand was used by fullsize domestic trucks by the locals and I've found the roads are wider.
Great photos! thanks for sharing!
Awesome!!! Great trip.... I love Anza Boreggo. So does "The Beast". He met his girlfriend there:
Thanks for this. Used to go out there a lot when I lived in SD. Really was a trip through time for me, it has been many years since I have seen this beautiful place.
Thank You Very, Very Much !!!!!

Love the pictures - good reading.

Please keep them coming..
Just love the pictures.....
Thanks all! Glad to hear you are enjoying. For photo lovers especially, be sure to click through to the rest of each story/day; generally there are another ~30-40 photos per post that ExPo won't allow me to easily post due to the 20-photos-per-post limit.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The cabin type tents never worked well for sleeping in Baja. Flap factor 10. We upgraded to domes and it went away. I don't know if that's applicable in a RTT. I was leery getting our Northstar popup for that reason but it's been fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior