Double Din with GPS?

Photobug

I just bought a new vehicle. The stereo came with a double din stereo that I had trouble getting to work with my Android Phone the previous owner was an Iphone guy. I am considering upgrading the stereo to one that work with my phone. The current charging port on my phone needs replacing to work but before that happened the stereo in my truck worked beautifully to control music, navigation and other features from my phone.

Is there any possible way to tie in a navigation system to a car stereo or any double din stereo that would work well for overlanding?

Are you or were you using Android Auto? Lots of ways to work with Navigation on a double din. Could you elaborate on what system you have now?

Chuck1

Sounds like its your phone (The current charging port on my phone needs replacing to work but before that happened the stereo in my truck worked beautifully )

Photobug

Are you or were you using Android Auto? Lots of ways to work with Navigation on a double din. Could you elaborate on what system you have now?
Yes I was using Android Auto. I have a Pioneer 4200NEX in my truck. It worked nicely when plugged into my phone and also to my wife's iphone.

Because my port on my phone is in need of repair I now use the phone/receiver combo to play music via Bluetooth but I no longer get Android Auto working. So I know the right receiver I can navigate on the roads but can the right receiver work with other apps and navigation?

Photobug

Sounds like its your phone (The current charging port on my phone needs replacing to work but before that happened the stereo in my truck worked beautifully )
I'll have to check further. I was basically exploring the receiver's systems while driving 1700 miles, so I had a lot of time to fiddle. It felt like the receiver was only Iphone oriented.

Most of the standard higher end Double dine receivers by Pioneer, Alpine etc have navigation that work offline, (none of these work if off-road exploring or is comparable to Gaia, OnX, Garmin Overlander / Montana), but also Android Auto, and CarPlay that works online (and some limited offline functionality). Android Auto currently does not support Gaia GPS, though it does on CarPlay. I personally just use a standalone unit and leave the car unit to handle music and phone duties. Nothing in-dash works well enough for real overland navigation.

Photobug

That's a very smart receiver. it should work flawlessly. What phone do you have? Per the Pioneer site, there are connectivity issues with certain USB-C cables. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/...for+newer+USB+Type-C+phones+(including+Pixel)

Yes it works flawlessly when my phone cable was working. Even without my phone cable working it works pretty darn well using Bluetooth to play music and use for phone. I plan on repairing my charging port to work with my new (when I get it) receiver.

The Pioneer is in my truck which i am keeping. I need a new receiver for my new RV. I just went and checked the model number of the current receiver in my new vehicle, it is an older receiver with very limited capabilities. It works with Iphones and only with Androids if I wanted to install a Kenwood app on my phone to play my music.

So a new receiver is in order. I will likely get the current model of whatever replaced my Pioneer provided it is not stupid expensive or someone recommends something else

Photobug

Most of the standard higher end Double dine receivers by Pioneer, Alpine etc have navigation that work offline, (none of these work if off-road exploring or is comparable to Gaia, OnX, Garmin Overlander / Montana), but also Android Auto, and CarPlay that works online (and some limited offline functionality). Android Auto currently does not support Gaia GPS, though it does on CarPlay. I personally just use a standalone unit and leave the car unit to handle music and phone duties. Nothing in-dash works well enough for real overland navigation.

Thanks, kind of what I was expecting, no decent compatibility with Gaia and the like, just wanted to double check before shopping. The current Pioneer to match my older unit is $700, which is more than I want to spend if it does not support other advanced nav features.

roving1

Thanks, kind of what I was expecting, no decent compatibility with Gaia and the like, just wanted to double check before shopping. The current Pioneer to match my older unit is $700, which is more than I want to spend if it does not support other advanced nav features.

Honestly replacing the double DIN with a single DIN and a storage cubby and just using a stand alone tablet is maybe a better option. There will probably be aftermarket stuff that supports wireless Android Auto in the future and Gaia will eventually support Android Auto but I think stand alone is a better option at this point.

The current crop of touchscreen aftermarket radios just don't seem worth the money at this point.

Photobug

Honestly replacing the double DIN with a single DIN and a storage cubby and just using a stand alone tablet is maybe a better option. There will probably be aftermarket stuff that supports wireless Android Auto in the future and Gaia will eventually support Android Auto but I think stand alone is a better option at this point.

The current crop of touchscreen aftermarket radios just don't seem worth the money at this point.

I am a big fan of cubbies but my new ride is few year old high end class C RV, it already has a silly amount of cubbies already.

I really like my double din in my truck when plugged into my phone the full screen navigation and integration with the phone is worth the price I paid for it. At the current price for new model $700, I agree not worth the cost but at $3-400 for a slightly lesser double din model is well worth the cost of admission IMO.

Photobug

Just found out this new feature on the current high end Pioneer.

• works with wireless and wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
The android Auto is awesome. Being able to access all this without having my phone plugged in is a nice upgrade. Being able to access my music, Pandora and navigation all from the car stereo with my phone still in my pocket is very cool. Unless the lesser models have this might be worth the upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier