Double cab long bed Taco vs. double cab Tundra

co_boater

The Taco is a bit smaller but wondering if anyone has any thoughts about off-road-ability between the two. Nothing super burly but they're close spec wise so I'd think the Tundra would make more sense but would love to hear anyone's thoughts here.

Thanks!

I have a Tundra TRD PRO DC that I have been using for off-roading and my DD for 4 years. I love it and wouldn't trade it. But be aware it gulps gas, get the 38 gallon tank, it is wide and long so you have to watch what trails you go on and who you go with If you offroad with a bunch of Jeeps they will go places you can't due to size (switch backs etc) But with the V8 you have lots of power and you can muscle through where others can't. Depneding on what you are planning to add both of them reach weight restrictions quickly (more so the taco).

rruff

Explorer
The Tacoma doesn't have any special capabilities in this respect, except for I think a factory locker possible which you can't get on a Tundra. I hear the 3.5l in the Tacoma could use a regear even stock, and especially if you add bigger tires and weight. There's a big difference between a 3.5l and 5.7l, though the Tundra will use more gas. The aftermarket for the Tundra is quite decent and the Tacoma even better. Tundra will be more comfortable to drive and ride in. When I was looking a few years ago, the price difference was nil... Tundra made more sense for me.

dstefan

FWIW, my relatively well, but not over, built 2nd gen DCSB Tacoma goes anywhere I want to go, but it’s not a Rubicon with 1 tons and 37s. It’s been a great platform for exploring the Southwest and I love it, but looking to move to a Tundra. Why? I need to be more comfortable. At 6’2” with some back issues and wanting to travel more now we’re retired, it’s not going to cut it.

I was going to go F250 with an FWC, but now planning for a built Tundra with a pop-up shell on it. Why? I still want to go places the F250 size will prohibit … and reliability. Yes, I will put a locker in. Gotta lift a bigger/longer truck a bit more so 35s for sure, lose the hitch, bumpers skids etc.

I’d keep the Tacoma for weekend stuff, short regional trips in the Southwest, etc, but I’m going to spend more time on and off road. Your needs should dictate. They’re both good trucks — It’s horses for courses as always!
I will say, having driven a ‘16 Tacoma, I don’t like them as much as the 2nd gens. The new engine and tranny combo just feels wrong. You really have to regear these. Get the best used, 2nd gen Taco and build it as you need, if you want/need the smaller platform. If the Tundra size/payload Is attractive, search around on the off-road capability. I did to convince myself I could go where I want to. There’s a lot of info. One poster on Tundras.com in particular, Joonbug, has pretty convincing videos wheeling a Tundra in some places I didn’t think one could. I would guess a long bed Taco would be similar.

phsycle

Adventurer
The Taco is a bit smaller but wondering if anyone has any thoughts about off-road-ability between the two. Nothing super burly but they're close spec wise so I'd think the Tundra would make more sense but would love to hear anyone's thoughts here.

Thanks!

What type of trails? There are trails I would hate taking a full-size truck on. ie Black Bear Pass. But the comfort of a full-size just can’t be matched by a midsize. So spacious, rides and tows better and not much MPG difference.

Only caveat going Tundra is the poor payload. Like 1,200lbs. Barely a bit more than a Tacoma. But if you can keep that in check, they can handle decent trails. No way I’d put a slide in camper on one. That’s what 3/4 - 1 ton are for.

Doc Foster

Adventurer
As others have said both are capable, it comes down to how much gear are you going to carry? The Tundra is a lot bigger, but only has about a hundred more pounds of carrying capacity depending upon trim level, and is worse on gas mileage. Tacoma will be more limber on tighter trails for sure. Are you putting a camper, shell or tonneau cover on the back? I have owned both, and loved different things about both as well.

highwest

I own a ‘16 DCLB Tacoma and have spent a few days driving an ‘18 Tundra Pro (the small cab longer bed one). From my experience:

Overall length felt the same, not sure about wheelbase though.

Are you going to sleep in it? If you’re tall, check the bed length. I’m 6’2” and barely fit sleeping lengthwise on a platform in the Tacoma’s bed.

Width seems to be the biggest difference, both in driving feel and interior volume.

Interior on the Tundra Pro was way better than the ‘16 Tacoma, but I think the newer Tacoma’s have closed this gap.

Locker in the Tacoma was a big plus to me and comes in handy for added finesse on the trail.

Power is obviously way better in Tundra, but I don’t think the Tacoma is a complete slouch, it does like the higher revs though. I drive it like a truck (slowish, but not gramps-style - I have a fast car for having fun though) and use low range when it’s appropriate - don’t smoke the torque converter. See also, locker/finesse, above. The Tacoma’s way better than the 3.0 V6 Ranger we had before, that’s for sure. I haven’t spent much time driving the 2nd gen Tacomas, but I think that comparison to the 3rd gen is blown out of proportion. The manual 2nd gen I drove most recently seemed very similar to my auto 3rd gen. The manual was obviously better at preparing for upcoming power needs (like hills or whatever). But I haven’t spent a lot of time comparing the two gens of Tacoma.

Grain of salt and all that...

tdferrero

What type of trails? There are trails I would hate taking a full-size truck on. ie Black Bear Pass. But the comfort of a full-size just can’t be matched by a midsize. So spacious, rides and tows better and not much MPG difference.

Only caveat going Tundra is the poor payload. Like 1,200lbs. Barely a bit more than a Tacoma. But if you can keep that in check, they can handle decent trails. No way I’d put a slide in camper on one. That’s what 3/4 - 1 ton are for.
Not sure where you got that payload number from, depending on package, Tundra payload is 1,500-1,700 lbs, and as much as 2,120 lbs. for the Tundra's circa 2015.

phsycle

Adventurer
Not sure where you got that payload number from, depending on package, Tundra payload is 1,500-1,700 lbs, and as much as 2,120 lbs. for the Tundra's circa 2015.

This has been discussed multiple times before here. Look at the door jamb sticker, where you get the actual payload. Brochure numbers you’re quoting are without any options, add-one, etc. I’ve yet to see one over ~1,200lbs.

Same with the Tacoma. None of mine were over 1k lbs. My last was 950lbs, which was lower than my Sienna. ?

rruff

Explorer
I’ve yet to see one over ~1,200lbs.

Mine says 1,405 lb. Oddly the '86 XR5 Xtracab 2wd Toyota pickup had the same payload! But there is no comparison in how much load they can safely haul. I'd much rather drive with 2,800 lb in the Tundra than 1,400 lb in the '86.

Ducstrom

This has been discussed multiple times before here. Look at the door jamb sticker, where you get the actual payload. Brochure numbers you’re quoting are without any options, add-one, etc. I’ve yet to see one over ~1,200lbs.

Same with the Tacoma. None of mine were over 1k lbs. My last was 950lbs, which was lower than my Sienna. ?
Yep, gotta watch that. My brother just learned this with his new boat and towing. Had to trade the tundra in on an F150. His 2014 tundra had less towing capacity than my wife's grand cherokee!

phsycle

Adventurer
Mine says 1,405 lb. Oddly the '86 XR5 Xtracab 2wd Toyota pickup had the same payload! But there is no comparison in how much load they can safely haul. I'd much rather drive with 2,800 lb in the Tundra than 1,400 lb in the '86.

Yeah, well, you don’t see many SR DC’s at the dealerships! ? They’re all SR5’s and up. I don’t see them on the road much either. Saw a stripped down gold SR a couple years ago, complete with the steel wheels (not the 5-spoke—the spare tire looking kind ). I said, that’s the exact trim I’d get. Too bad Toyota doesn’t offer it in Crewmax.

rruff

Explorer
Yeah, well, you don’t see many SR DC’s at the dealerships! ?
Especially the big one with the 8' bed. I'd have paid extra for the shifter on the steering column, bench seat, and black trim. Miss the bigger tank though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles