DOT Inspection?

Epps

Question: In the US, does a Fuso camper conversion that's never used for commercial purposes still require a DOT number/inspection?

Isuzu trucks, NPR/NPR-HD and de-rated F models are under 26,000 lbs. and are marketed as not requiring a CDL.

I think this pretty much applies across the nation: PA updated our laws a few years ago ending my dream of converting a school bus or larger truck to a motor home.

When is an Pennsylvania CDL Required: You need an Pennsylvania CDL when you operate the following vehicles: CLASS A – Applies only to “combination” vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) more than 26,000 pounds, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds.

In PA you do need a endorsement for air brakes even if the vehicle is under 26,000 pounds. This is a online 25 question test.

So.... under 26,000 lbs. no CDL regardless of vehicle type RV, (bus under 11 passenger), or truck (non HAZMAT), but you do need the Air Test endorsement for an RV or truck equipped with air brakes. I am told that out of state drivers of a RV/truck larger than 26,000 lbs. and/or air brakes need a CDL in PA. because most states do not have an air brake endorsement on a normal drivers id.

Farm trucks, Fire trucks, Postal trucks, etc. CDL not required when working for a fire company, gov. or transporting farm goods. Buses or HAZMAT vehicles require additional endorsements.

So the bottom line is: Stay under 26,000 lbs. no air brakes, mark the truck as "not for hire", and don't register or insure the truck through your family business.

Epps

Last edited:

benttofly

I know i am way late to the party but i have 1993 fuso titled since purchased new in state of florida as a motor home. Fg439 4x4 bought from messinas in tampa i had to do a bit of fighting with the dmv but they agreed to go out to parking lot and see it and recognized the incomplete truck vin panel above driver left and no real vin placement. I do insure with progressive as commercial for personal use just to be safe in event of wreck but this is titled a motor coach under 26k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior