Don't Throw Your Life Away - Battling Marine Debris from Alaska to Panama

Voyager3

If I may, I'd now like to talk about the internet, on the internet.

I have an unlimited data plan that works up here. This means that I can post content to a thread on Expedition Portal, and share photos on Instagram, and chat with folks on Facebook. I'm accessible 24/7, in much the same way Robert Louis Stevenson never wanted to be while traveling. If I didn't have to share this trip, I might not. Although, this is also just a great way to journal the important bits, I mean, I want to remember as much as I can and I'm not doing any other writing of my own offline regarding the trip. So is it a good thing, all this connectivity?

I found myself struggling with that idea a lot this day because even though my life is pretty great by pretty much any standard, even I fall into the trap of comparing my life to others to see if I'm doing it right. Instagram is a great way to pass the time questioning everything you're currently doing. Travel, yes, I'm doing that but these people are doing it better. Oh look racecars, I used to be a driver, and look at all these planes. I wish I could be someone who posts amazing aviation content because all I do all day is fly. Having all these choices sounds good. Look at all the people we could be like. It wasn't so long ago that if you were the son of a farmer, you were probably going to be a farmer. But now, not only do we know we have more choices, we're seeing them played out through other people constantly, beautifully, deliberately, and convincingly in pretty much real time. Scrolling, scrolling, liking, commenting, sharing. Pretty soon you're watching dozens of people live very different lives up close and forgetting to live yours. Even out here, I'll realize I stopped to stretch and saw notifications and now I'm stuck on my phone. And the networks are as good as the commercials say, I've pretty much always had service.

But, I had a chance now to pump the brakes a little bit because I found this place, and wouldn't you know it, my phone didn't work here.

20181007_155835.jpg

20181007_155912.jpg

20181007_160048.jpg

And just like that, the phone was just a camera again, I couldn't share things as they happened. I just had to be there. I was back in the moment, playing with Jenson, who only understands living right now. He's the most powerful reminder in my life to be present.

20181007_160933_001.jpg

20181007_163914(0).jpg

I thought about if I had ever found more spherical natural rocks than this...

20181007_162316.jpg

I got my sleeves wet getting down to capture tiny beach details, which I know I love. Okay, yes. I placed those pebbles there for this.

20181007_162952.jpg

I thought about how this stick, one of many brought to me over the evening, reminded me of the item "Wirt's Leg" from the old computer game Diablo 2 that I used to play with a good friend as a kid.

20181007_163422.jpg

I thought about how I still wished I could describe smells better, because this piece of earth was exquisite. Not just the smell of a particular tree or recent rain on untrodden dirt, but more akin to the way a meal smells of everything in it when the proportions of ingredients are spot on, but instead of getting a whiff and then shifting gears immediately to taste it, you stop and inhale again and again. And now you're not just next to it, you're tiny and in the middle of it. You wish your lungs themselves had olfactory receptors, because having the smell merely pass through into your senses for a moment during each breath isn't enough, and at any rate, all this purposeful smelling is throwing your ventilation out of whack and you really should just breathe normally for a while.

20181007_164503.jpg

And I thought about all the reading I haven't been doing. I may have overestimated the amount of time I would be reading. I certainly haven't made much of a dent in the Wolfpack full of pre 1935 books in the Jeep. But I've got a chair, and a beach and a little bit of light left, so it's time to get some word input to balance the output.

20181007_175742.jpg

And as the evening advanced I thought about where I would sleep. I've been making my little nest in the Jeep again, but I already need a break. Another thing I overestimated was how comfortable I would be long term living out of it, but how's this for a rollercoaster. The Jeep was parked back by the road, not too far, but I would have to decide...do I bring my stuff out here to the beach and sleep here, or do I relegate myself back to the longest space available in the box. When I got back to the Jeep, this conundrum became so severe so quickly it confuses me even now. Grabbing my stuff and bringing it to the beach isn't difficult. It's not exactly packed in a bag, but it's not far. In the Jeep, I could just give up and crawl in and be asleep, but I would give up the happiness of the beach. This seems like an obvious choice, but it became what in depressive circles is called an impossible task. My impossible task for the next 10 minutes was to get my camping gear from the Jeep to the beach. A few hundred feet. Just being back in the driver's seat deflated me so much that getting myself and my gear to where I was happy a short time ago was agony.

But I prevailed and because I didn't even roll up my sleeping bag or pad and didn't put any of it on a pack, I was carrying the tent, and chair, and unfurled bag, pad, and this book back to the beach. I couldn't take the time to do it right you see, because I had already wasted so much deciding if I was even going to bother coming back. Weird right?

Well another thing I overestimated was how comfortable I could be on this new pad outside of the Jeep. I already felt like I wasn't sleeping well again being back in it. Maybe the space of the tent would help. Nope, the pad just isn't as comfortable, and I am in pain. I can't sleep on my sides, or back without waking again and again. So I have more time to think.

Time to think about all the billions of years I never lived, and the billions of years I won't live after this. If there ever was any other consciousness that might have been me before, well I didn't remember it, and it really wouldn't have been me, would it? It would have been some other person, or a bird, a fish. Some other consciousness that came and went. It would be nice, I suppose, to be able to successfully imagine an instance where another consciousness emerges after yours shuts off, and it's recognizable again. Somehow the agency behind new eyes can draw a connection to that time it was you. But it wouldn't be. Just as the progression of life didn't include the person you are now until it did, it won't happen again.

Of the 7 billion or so humans alive now, I get to be me. More than that, of the 100+ billion humans that have ever lived, I get to be me. Me, here, now. At this time, to this family, with these options, and on this planet. In the cosmic lottery, how close was I to being a human being who for their entire existence only knew hunger and literally nothing else? Born hungry, never fed, and died of it. How many humans lived exactly like that?

Get sillier and consider the number of possible combinations of humans based on genetic information, DNA bases, and the kinds of things where the multiplication becomes so incredible, the number you're left with is so large it's essentially useless. Being me, being you....the odds are outrageous.

Blinking in and out of existence just long enough to breathe deeply in that patch of forest would have been a good enough reason to have a life. Appreciate it, love it.

Last edited:

Voyager3

The next morning it rained, but I made one stop to see another small beach. Hmmmm, I thought, this beach also looks pretty good. At least no underwear.

20181008_075241.jpg

But things are not always what they seem, uh oh, here are a few pieces of plastic. Maybe there will just be a few.

20181008_075344.jpg

Nope, this seems to be an area where the lake bits wash up and accumulate. The sticks and such washed up on shore were littered with pieces of all sizes and colors. So I need to spend a little time here.

20181008_083343.jpg

We're still not to really polluted waters, not the places you see on the videos where people are paddle boarding through more plastic than water, but there are 170 pieces of plastic in this bottle, just from about 30 yards of shoreline. Add in some of the things found at last night's site and then your beach starts to look like this.

20181008_083203.jpg

It only gets worse around the world. While we find solutions to back track on the enormous problems elsewhere, let's try to maintain the places that are still okay. Well, all the lakes are getting warmer, but you know. The trash part.

Now we're hitting Lake Huron. Speaking of warmer, the temperature from near Lake Superior to Lake Huron jumped 20 degrees or more pretty much immediately, which was odd. This was odd, too

20181008_142038.jpg

20181008_142242.jpg

I like fall. I like beaches. Find me a spot where fall happens on a beach, and I can get behind that. Then I end up with this.

20181008_142653.jpg

Just me doing my thing, and my boy doing his thing all captured at the same time.

20181008_142903.jpg

I just have to stay on top of this part

20181008_143305.jpg

Azrial89

I’m glad you were able to check out pebble beach, it was one of my favorites along the Canadian side of Superior. Also, the Wirts leg reference... I got you ?

mm58

Observer
Travis, you should connect with Boyan Slat, a young man from the Netherlands who
runs "The Ocean Cleanup". You two have a lot in common.

fisher205

Explorer
I really have enjoyed your writing, but in all this travel, you need to shut your phone off, look, and listen to your dog. His being in the "now" is the best guide for you that there is. When I did my Alaska trip https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/alaska-2009.34534/ the best thing that happened was being away from the internet and phones. I did panic once because my Ipod quit and I couldn't get Canadian Broadcasting. So relax, you'll get your reports to us when you do. Until then enjoy. You will never forget this trip.
Brad

Voyager3

Oh hello again, I did a pretty good of unplugging lately. I lost the power for my laptop in the mess that is my Jeep house for an alarming amount of time. The short version is I'm now on Prince Edward Island, and I don't even remember where I left you all, so allow me the evening to get back on top of it.

I have to say again that I really love your writing style. You've perfectly captured what I refer to as analysis paralysis in your anecdote about sitting in the truck debating whether to return to the beach. Don't ask how I know... ;)

Since you're in Canada, I thought you might like to read this article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/greenpeace-plastic-brand-audits-1.4855450

Thanks for saying so. It happens more than I'd care to admit, which is partially admitting it I suppose. I did give that a read, and it's interesting. I've certainly noticed Tim Hortons a lot.

I’m glad you were able to check out pebble beach, it was one of my favorites along the Canadian side of Superior. Also, the Wirts leg reference... I got you ?

:) I was hoping someone would. I really enjoyed it, I even almost fell off a big pile of driftwood when it collapsed down the rocks.

Well Done !
Dogs are good travel partners

That they are, and tomorrow is a special day for one dog.

Travis, you should connect with Boyan Slat, a young man from the Netherlands who
runs "The Ocean Cleanup". You two have a lot in common.

I've heard of his projects, I appreciate the sentiment, but there's no way I could keep up with him. I pick fights with one tire tube at a time on my own. I'd be interested in checking out the work in the Pacific and finding a way to help, though.

I really have enjoyed your writing, but in all this travel, you need to shut your phone off, look, and listen to your dog. His being in the "now" is the best guide for you that there is. When I did my Alaska trip https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/alaska-2009.34534/ the best thing that happened was being away from the internet and phones. I did panic once because my Ipod quit and I couldn't get Canadian Broadcasting. So relax, you'll get your reports to us when you do. Until then enjoy. You will never forget this trip.
Brad

Glad you like it, I know I know. That's why I brought it up. We all need to limit our screen time more.

Travis should publish (print) his findings and photographs as an essay on litter and pollution in general.

Thanks, I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with this yet beyond sharing here. It's not all that scientific in my mind, but I have been finding it interesting. I've been finding more and more people here, elsewhere on social media, and along the way that I meet in person who are at least excited to talk about it and share what they've done to clean up where they live also. I get high fives at gas stations. It could be that all that comes is a good story and a little inspiration for others to do just a little bit more. Who knows?

Voyager3

Let's see if I can get back into my groove. I'll begin with a question. Can a store be too yellow? I think yes.

20181009_135018.jpg

20181009_135020.jpg

Oh you know what I forgot to do, let's get it out of the way now, the answers to those quiz question. That contraption with "Edison" stamped on it from the Atlas coal mine was a battery powered lamp.

20180920_115737.jpg

And the land I was pointing to? It was Minnesota. Savvy? Good. Onwards.

Back to Ontario, but we're going to push pretty far east here. I did go through Sudbury, didn't care for it, and I guess wanted to get to Ottawa largely because there was the aviation and space museum. But in eastern Ontario the weather went all weird. It was hot and humid, like mid 80s at sunset and wet and I remembered why I don't live in Florida anymore, but it was October in Canada. Pretty though here around Cobden, I just couldn't sleep well wearing practically nothing sweating with the windows all down. How am I supposed to do Central America like this?

20181009_165946.jpg

Oh, except this part.

20181010_070043.jpg

Now the question becomes how many pictures of airplanes can you endure again? We're going to find out, because I like them and there are some funny stories, too. But it also means we're pretty much across Ontario. Was it too quick? Was the weather confusing me snowing on me and then a couple days later making me sweat, or was I just trapped in my own head again? I don't know. I did like it, I think I was readjusting to living back in the Jeep and I wasn't so sure I liked it anymore and I had a long way yet to go. Let's just get to the planes.

Voyager3

20181010_095014.jpg

The Silver Dart, replica seen here, was the first airplane to make a powered flight in Canada, but since it's related to airplanes that had flown in the States before, and was dismantled and shipped here to fly, I'm not sure what to think of it. It's certainly one of Canada's pioneers, but it was kind of American, too.

I noticed this trend on a bunch of early aircraft. Bungee cord suspension. Clever, lightweight.

20181010_100237.jpg

Now this museum has a number of really cool pieces like this. The only Junkers J.I. left of 227 built. It was brought to Canada as a war trophy in 1919. In an era where most airplanes are wood and fabric, this first flew in 1917 with a metal structure. Aluminum on the wings and tail. Steel plates in the front, aluminum frame in the back. With good resistance to ground fire, it was ideal for low-level observation and ground attack in the first World War.

20181010_100552.jpg

Certainly rare, but somehow not as rare as this monster. The A.E.G G.IV. I know, not as catch a name as "Starfighter". I wonder if there's one here finally? Anyway, this G.IV isn't just the only one left of its kind, it's the only surviving German multi-engine plane from the whole war, also brought over in '19 as a trophy. Unfortunately, although it is restored, during the first few decades of its post war life, it wasn't all that well documented and the original engines are missing. They are trying to source some, but I imagine that's a more difficult task than going to the pick and pull and grabbing an AMC 4.0L. Just imagine being back then. A decade before this was carrying bombs to drop on battlefields, The Scientific American Cup $25,000 cash prize was being offered to the fist to fly over a mile at all. I think that's what I like about the world of aeronautics, how quick and how diverse all the advancements were in an arena where the consequences of doing it wrong were dire.

20181010_100858.jpg

They've got a Messerschmitt Me-163B-1a Komet. Yep, an operational combat rocket plane tested in 1941 with delivery beginning in 1944. Not all that practical, but the Germans were trying a lot of different things. It's sitting under one of the Allied leviathans, the Avro Lancaster a bomber only 25 years more advanced than that old G.IV, but I'm going to need to back up more to get the whole thing in the frame.

20181010_101059.jpg

Well, I can try anyway.

20181010_103054.jpg

The hole in the front bubble is from a museum related accident, this example never saw action. There are, I think, only two flying Lancasters left flying and although this museum's doesn't anymore, it is probably the most original in existence because it was built and delivered just as the war was ending, and then just flown back. I did get to chat with one of the older museum folks here whose dad flew one back then. It was fascinating to hear stories about what those air crews had to endure and how low their odds of survival really were. We talked about the damn buster raid and differences between this and the American offerings, differences between day and night missions and......oh, it was just grand. Yes, we talked about the Battle of Britain also because there's a Spitfire, Hurricane, and Bf 109 just around the corner. Can any of you spot an oddity about this museum's Spitfire?

20181010_105456.jpg

In the Battle of Britain, the Spitfires largely engaged fighters like the 109, and the Hurricane attacked incoming bombers. One reason for this was that the Hurricane, still partly fabric, could take decent punishment from the defensive guns and repaired quicker with patches than the metal skin of the Spitfire.

20181010_110034.jpg

20181010_135928.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne