Don't have anything relevant to add, just wanted to be the first

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
:D

seriously though, I'd love to get some info about SAR in San Diego, that doesn't have anything to do with the Sheriff's department.

Once upon a time i was an EMT and a firefighter up in Sacramento.

Regards,
Brian

PhulesAU

Explorer
Tired of being in a SAR State from H##l, In Texas each county sheriff is responsable for operations. The state was "Fix'nto" write standards and guidelines. But...... 4 years that I been waiting and still nothing. UGH
Most of what we do anymore is at the very local level. lost persons and evidence searchs. About ready to "chuck it" .

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I've been seeing spotty refs to "stand alone" SAR units. Units that are not affiliated with any particular county government. Noticed a couple of such vehicles while in Nevada last weekend. A general thread on those would be a good thing.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
This is going to awsome, I do believe. NNow I know nothing beats proper training, but this sub-forum can turn into a great resource for information on possibly where to find classes/workshops , types of gear , what works/ what doesn't and real life experiences.
Another great area on ExPO......:wings: :wings: :wings:

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Brian,

Check out the San Diego Mountain Rescue Team. They are a non-profit organization, like my team, that works alongside law enforcement.

Ian

BIGdaddy said:
:D

seriously though, I'd love to get some info about SAR in San Diego, that doesn't have anything to do with the Sheriff's department.

Once upon a time i was an EMT and a firefighter up in Sacramento.

Regards,
Brian

rionorte

Howdy!
Waiting for the next CERT class in my area. This sub forum and the SAR folks will certainly help me be a competent first responder out in the field.

Currently in the Medical area as an RN experienced in ICU and ER at a large Metro LA Level 1 hospital.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Bluto said:
Waiting for the next CERT class in my area. This sub forum and the SAR folks will certainly help me be a competent first responder out in the field.

I've been wanting to take the CERT class in my area too.

I've been a volunteer for over 8 years in the Los Angeles County Disaster Communications Service which uses amateur radio for disaster relief communications.

For the longest time, I've also been wanting to volunteer for one of the local SAR groups, but it appears I'm out of response time range.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
"stand alone" SAR units
We had a situation here in Cape Town where there are goverment agencies, private organisations, and loads of clubs all with a SAR element. It took a while, and plenty of politics, till they formed WSAR which manages the whole thing to keep things simple.
One Rescue Manager on duty. One phone number. One set of rules. They assess a situation then call however many guys they need from each discipline (Hi angle, climbers, 4x4, paramedic, etc etc). The guys get called in in phases as well. (The two rescues I've done I was in the second phase, 1st phase were already in the field, 3rd phase got stood down)
It keeps things organised, keeps the rescue scene uncluttered, and more importantly controls egos. The hi angle guys tnd to enjoy the limelight :peepwall:

Texas each county sheriff is responsable for operations
When you take a close peek at the law here the local cop is in charge. The unwritten policy though is that if the cop gets uppitty then it's downtools till he get's the message and gets out the way.

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
ntsqd said:
I've been seeing spotty refs to "stand alone" SAR units. Units that are not affiliated with any particular county government. Noticed a couple of such vehicles while in Nevada last weekend. A general thread on those would be a good thing.

Our unit (IMSARU) is a stand alone agency. We are not affiliated with any specific Sheriff's Office here in Idaho. This is both good and bad.

Pros:
- We have a lot of latitude as to where we go, when, and whom we will and won't work with.

Cons:
- No gov funding. We operate entirely on donations and fundraising.
- We have to market ourselves to agencies to get missions. We have some great relationships with some agencies. Others that don't play well with us, and many that don't even know we exist.

- DH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles