Don't go out alone - and bring your recovery gear.

GB_Willys_2014

I have a Garmin InReach SE. Was $399 and the service costs $12/month. Can't send pictures but you can text or email anyone from any location on the planet, Pole to pole, including through triple-canopy jungle. Can definitely be used for "Hey, I'm stuck in perfectly fine weather, but it's been an hour and I'm bored" situations. And it sends your location with your text /email. Pairs with your smartphone, has a mapping app, weather app, and if you're a narcissist and so inclined you can post updates of your journey to social media as often as once every ten seconds.

It also has an SOS feature - Garmin staffs a 24/7 watch center in Texas and coordinates with SAR and/or Law Enforcement in your area. I have used it to evacuate someone suffering from rapid-onset HAPE who was hours from death and could not walk, so as far as I'm concerned it's paid for a thousand times over. No...a million.

Some friends and I each bought one after a backcountry ski trip nearly turned tragic - we ended up in a drainage that looked beautiful but had thin coverage over willow brush and we were breaking through up to our chests, then we got into a gully with running water under snow bridges...we ended up literally skiing out through dense forest with headlamps. When we finally got back to cell phone range we were 4 hours late with weather moving in rapidly, and the wife of one of our party was literally on the phone with SAR as they were spinning up the helo to come look for us. That would have endangered them more than us, so it would have been nice to be able to text our families and say, "Hey, just checking in, we were dumb so we're running late, but everything is fine."

Sorry for the diversion but thought it was relevant to those who prefer to travel solo or in a single vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
I have called 2 SOS' with my InReach.

I have seen others use a SPOT to call an SOS.

A PLB is essential kit for off-grid adventures. Full stop.

rgallant

Adventurer
Will just add a comment to PLB's call and confirm they will in fact work where you travel and what limitations there maybe. In my discussions with Garmin, there a lot of places in the Pacific Northwest they could be marginal, deep heavily wooded valleys that limit the sky view and usability. This is not reason not to get one but you should be aware of the limitations like very other piece of kit you have.

Considering I have lost GPS signal on a couple of trips for 20 + minutes in one case it is a consideration.

DieselRanger

Will just add a comment to PLB's call and confirm they will in fact work where you travel and what limitations there maybe. In my discussions with Garmin, there a lot of places in the Pacific Northwest they could be marginal, deep heavily wooded valleys that limit the sky view and usability. This is not reason not to get one but you should be aware of the limitations like very other piece of kit you have.

Considering I have lost GPS signal on a couple of trips for 20 + minutes in one case it is a consideration.
Definitely true - if you are stuck in a slot canyon with your arm pinned between a boulder and the rock wall, you're SOL with any kind of satcom or cell phone.

Garmin's InReach use the Iridium satellite constellation. There are 88 satellites providing global coverage. In my experience, in mountainous terrain down in lower slopes you can expect delays of up to several minutes for messages to be delivered out as the handset waits for sufficient signal strength as a satellite passes overhead with line of sight to the handset - sometimes it's immediate, sometimes it's not.

Foliage, however, isn't a problem. Iridium works in triple-canopy jungle, which is one reason why special forces dudes like it so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It also has an SOS feature - Garmin staffs a 24/7 watch center in Texas and coordinates with SAR and/or Law Enforcement in your area.
Garmin/InReach and GlobarStar/SPOT use the same service when you push SOS. That being GEOS IERCC in Houston. When you push SOS they are the ones who know COSPAS/SARSAT lingo and liaison between you, your emergency contact and SAR.

Garmin's InReach use the Iridium satellite constellation. There are 88 satellites providing global coverage.
BTW, Iridium has 66 satellites and 9 currently sitting in spare on orbit. GlobalStar has a constellation of 48 with 4 spares on orbit at the moment.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

Garmin/InReach and GlobarStar/SPOT use the same service when you push SOS. That being GEOS IERCC in Houston. When you push SOS they are the ones who know COSPAS/SARSAT lingo and liaison between you, your emergency contact and SAR.

BTW, Iridium has 66 satellites and 9 currently sitting in spare on orbit. GlobalStar has a constellation of 48 with 4 spares on orbit at the moment.
Iridium Next keeps on orbit spares, actual total of 81 satellites. 75 launched in just under 2 years. Didn't realize IERCC was used for Globalstar too....

Jwestpro

Explorer
Moral of the story?

Had you invited me, I'd have also brought doughnuts along so stuck or not, the event would've been better ;)

I'd love to join you sometime. I finally have a few things taken care of like putting in new starter, repaired a front strut, sealed windscreen cowl.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
You know, you can buy a winch for around $150 anymore. If you don't have one, you should probably just stay at the mall. If it works the one time you need it, it has been well worth it. It would be one of the first things I would buy. The lift and and oversized tires look cool, but if you are stuck, you are still SOL. The winch will help a lot shovel. There isn't a lot you couldn't work your way out of. Just spend some time learning some recovery techniques. You don't need a tree all the time to get unstuck with a winch.

I've been hung up on my axles. Stuck a bottle jack under the axle. Stacked rocks under the tires and drove out.

I've been stuck in a snow bank without a tree nearby. I left my jeep running and starting digging it out. The underside melted out while I was digging out the frame rails. The back wheels finally got back on the ground and I was able to reverse out.

Its learning and knowing how to get out of stuck situations.

Blaise

You know, you can buy a winch for around $150 anymore. If you don't have one, you should probably just stay at the mall.

OK. Noted. I'll stay at the mall (?????).

My truck isn't lifted nor does it have oversize tires. It's a stock LR3. The other two rigs had winches and were not helpful in getting me out. All 3 drivers are experienced off-roaders with recovery experience. Are we reading the same post? You said that there isn't much that you can't work your way out of, but then also stated that you need a winch? I'm so confused...

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
why is it confusing? Maybe you should just sell the LR3 and get something you can stick a winch on. I've heard plastic rips off pretty easily.

Blaise

ooooooooooook I see we are being really productive here.

You can mount a winch on an LR3. It's not made of plastic, its a nearly 6000lb truck.

It's confusing bc you suggested that I stay at the mall (??) if I don't have a winch, then gave examples of times you got out without a winch.

Daughter #1 does all sorts of on foot silliness out west and carries her InReach.

It's sure nice to get the ten or fifteen minute messages "hey, we're okay" along with her location and you can see that she's moving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online