Don't call it expedition white ... the next Pangaea truck: 04 DII

pangaea

Adventurer
I've been searching for at least the past six months for a Disco II. I had been looking for what seemed to be such specific specs that I thought I was looking for a unicorn (aka something that doesn't actually exist).

Disheartened, I called my friend Pete Sweetser, who works at Land Rover Clearwater, one day to see if he could help me track one down. Lo and behold, he had one show up at the dealership just a couple of days prior. This truck is absolutely pristine. It's a 2004 Discovery II with:

a pair of brand spankin' new, never been used LR genuine Waterproof seat covers
G4 front lamp guards
rear upper and lower lamp guards
rear ladder
rear dog guard
Safety Devices roof rack w/ 4 Hella 4ks
A pretty nice Pioneer sound system
Front LR nudge bar with a pair of aux lights (I think they're LR genuine, but they look a bit like Hella 1000FFs)
a few other goodies.

The truck had about 88k miles on it, which is higher than I would have liked, but apparently the last owner took extremely good care of the truck. It went to the dealership for preventative maintenance like clockwork. Inside the rig, there's all these little clues that he treated this truck like his baby--soft velour tape on the seatbelt buckles where they rub the seat adjustment knobs so as not to scratch them, that sort of thing. Its about as close to flawless as I could find in a used DII.

I'm pretty excited about the new rig. I've had it for just about 2 weeks, and I've already logged over 3k miles with it. I took it out for Land Rover Flatirons Ice Racing event last weekend and had a blast with it on Georgetown Lake.

The as-yet-unnamed vehicle's inaugural trip is coming up Presidents Day weekend when we're planning to take it on a pre-scout through southern Utah.

D2_IceShot.jpg

On Georgetown Lake

IceBack.jpg

Taking a run around the race course

swamp.jpg

Stopping in alongside the swamp in Louisiana.

Paladin

Banned
Nice. Is that an SD without sunroofs too?

Closeups of the lights? They do look like FF1000's from what I see. Silver ring.

You guys still do ice racing on a lake down there? Pretty much banned up here. Too many environmental concerns with fluid spills on the ice. And there was an incident where the snowplow went through, the driver died, sued the sanctioning body...

pangaea

Adventurer
Nice. Is that an SD without sunroofs too?

Closeups of the lights? They do look like FF1000's from what I see. Silver ring.

You guys still do ice racing on a lake down there? Pretty much banned up here. Too many environmental concerns with fluid spills on the ice. And there was an incident where the snowplow went through, the driver died, sued the sanctioning body...

It's an SE w/ sunroofs, but without ACE or SLS... Thus the reason for the 16" S wheels.

The ice racing is put on by a local club, Our Gang Four Wheelers, who has the exclusive lease on the lake for the winter. They rent it out to groups like the dealership, but they oversee the whole thing. Honestly, they're pretty particular about safety. Leaks, littering, etc can get you kicked off the ice and they only race if the ice is over about 18" thick.

We did have a Zamboni fall through the ice last year at Keystone: http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_14644093

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Congrats on the find - purdy! Those are the wheels I wish mine had come with. That sounds about like what I went through in the search for my current D2. There were 2 available in the country at the time, and I got lucky as one of them had just moved to my town that month. :)

If memory serves, the factory option lighting kit for the nudge bar is indeed Hella. The soft velour tape on the belt buckle is installed at the factory.

overlander

Expedition Leader
3k in 2 weeks? That's the lifestyle I'd like to live...

Congrats! White's my favorite Rover color. Beautiful example.

Wander

Expedition Leader
How about UN white...or Overland white???

Looks great and pre-built, can't go wrong there.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Congrats Nathan, sweet rig! FYI I am going to be in CO next week and have a day to kill on the 17th, hoping we can connect.

James Pierce

Adventurer
Expedition White! ;) Awesome!

Congrats! It's already got some good kit. I wish I would have kept Brandy's 04. So what are the plans? Bumper? Winch?

James

ps; next time you drive through oklahoma stop in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke