Don’t Give Up on The “Dependable” Nissan Frontier Just Yet

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Don’t give up on the Frontier yet! This might be one of the better mid-sized 4x4’s out there with the new design and enhanced features found in the 2022 model. It also might be the most affordable mid-sized rig. Who’d a thunk it?

E1199942-A2C5-454A-B05A-E036B10E0190.jpegNissan Frontier earns J.D. Power dependability nod
“J.D. Power has recognized the Nissan Frontier as the most reliable model in the midsize pickup segment, in its 2021 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study, Nissan said. The Frontier ranked at the top of its category with a score of 106 problems per 100 vehicles, Nissan said. It is the third year in a row the Frontier has ranked in the top spot for the midsize pickup segment. The 2022 Frontier in February. It goes on sale this summer.

The engine is mated to a nine-speed automatic transmission. Its towing capacity is rated at up to 6,720 pounds. The 2022 Frontier has a standard 310-horsepower, 3.8-liter direct injection V6 engine. It provides 281 lb.-ft. of torque.

Four-wheel drive models feature a shift-on-the-fly four wheel drive system, with modes operated by an electronically controlled part-time transfer case. While the PRO-4X model adds an electronic locking differential, Bilstein off-road shock absorbers and underbody skid plates.

The 2022 Frontier has Nissan's Intelligent Around View Monitor with moving object detection and off-road mode. The monitor creates a bird's eye view of the vehicle, stitching together views from four mounted cameras.

Available safety features include automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, blind spot warning, rear cross traffic alert, lane departure warning, high beam assist and rear automatic braking. Intelligent forward collision warning, tire pressure monitoring with alert and rear door alert are standard”

Over all...maybe you should consider this truck if you are thinking about moving into the mid-sized category. Just give me one with an Ex Cab and 6 foot bed, and I’ll be happy ?

86scotty

Cynic
I would love to sit in one in person. I would be more interested in mid size trucks if it weren't for the 'seat on the floor' problem. Perhaps Nissan has addressed this and given it a proper seating position.

I really like the styling and specs. Nice to see a new truck that actually LOOKS good from day one. Quite rare, in fact, in my humble opinion.

Reactions: plh

86scotty

Cynic
In useless Winnipeg I saw one of these pro4X driving around. Checked local dealer inventory: 0

Lesson learned: don't live in Winnipeg.

I know nothing about Winnipeg but that's everywhere right now, plus, this just hit the scene! You'll likely have to give it some time, no matter where you are.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
If I had stuck with a midsize vehicle I would have picked one of these up. The Nissan seems to be the best all arounder. I have the 9 speed in my TItan and it's a peach and pulled 21mpg on my last interstate run and 18mpg towing my teardrop. It won't sell as much as a Taco but given the horrible motor and trans in the Toyota it should.

Skinny06

Why do you need to add an oil catch can for it to be capable?
For any direct injection engine it's just something I would personally install. Have personally had issues with them and there are plenty of horror stories out there.

They are known for gumming up the intake valves and then having developing issues from there. There are a few ways around it, but a catch can is one of the simplest solutions.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
For any direct injection engine it's just something I would personally install. Have personally had issues with them and there are plenty of horror stories out there.

They are known for gumming up the intake valves and then having developing issues from there. There are a few ways around it, but a catch can is one of the simplest solutions.

Which vehicle(s) comes from factory with a catch can?

Grassland

Has the information been released on what size the front and rear differentials are?
Reading on the newer Armada/infinite builds that are on here suggests the full size units went with little difs, especially up front.
Is the Frontier running legacy differentials?
And if so, what tire size can they generally handle when locked? Are they a 32" tire tops kind of hardware when locked?

Skinny06

Has the information been released on what size the front and rear differentials are?
Reading on the newer Armada/infinite builds that are on here suggests the full size units went with little difs, especially up front.
Is the Frontier running legacy differentials?
And if so, what tire size can they generally handle when locked? Are they a 32" tire tops kind of hardware when locked?

They run the same r180 in the front and for the pro4x models the m226 (D44) in the rear. Just different spline count on the front, from my understanding on the new models.

When locked up to 35s are no issue, the main issue is the higher 3.36 gearing on automatic models when upgrading tire size. Many go to 4.10s

sideburns

Idaho 2019 Nissan Frontier CC LWB
They run the same r180 in the front and for the pro4x models the m226 (D44) in the rear. Just different spline count on the front, from my understanding on the new models.

When locked up to 35s are no issue, the main issue is the higher 3.36 gearing on automatic models when upgrading tire size. Many go to 4.10s

Since 2020 and the 9 speed the rear axle ratio has been 3.69. ADO is having m205 gearsets made in 3.69 so they can Titan swap their 2022 Pro4x shop truck. I'm assuming the 9 speed has more normal gear ratios, and they can run more standard final drive ratios now. So someone might need to make 4.30 or 4.56 gears for running 35" tires now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles