Dometic PLB40 Reviews

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Will do. I’ll keep it above 20% and report back
Just a matter of interest Only once did I take one of mine down to 40%, with every other test I stopped at 60%, And if you keep it plugged in to the Vehicle while you are travelling then it should be full @ 100% most of the time so it should rarely get below 50/60% but most likely be a lot higher.

Good luck and have fun, (y)

camodog

Adventurer
In my very unscientific method, I calculated the power draw from my empty (pre-chilled) National Luna 52 to draw down at 1.1% or less per hour in 75 degrees without opening and closing the lid.
For example it went 25 hours on battery alone and had 73% battery life left or 1.08% drain per hour.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
In my very unscientific method, I calculated the power draw from my empty (pre-chilled) National Luna 52 to draw down at 1.1% or less per hour in 75 degrees without opening and closing the lid.
For example it went 25 hours on battery alone and had 73% battery life left or 1.08% drain per hour.
Awesome CD, You gotta be happy with those results, sounds about right with what I was getting on the ARB, Well Done mate.

I just did a test since Tuesday until tonight "Friday" with it set up as I said in my other posts Only I was using the little Dometic CDF-18 and leaving the CDF plugged in to the PLB and the PLB plugged in to the Cigar socket for until 10AM yesterday and with the two Batteries linked up via the Cigar socket it was still reading 100%, So yesterday "Thursday" I Unplugged the PLB from the Campers Cigar socket at 10AM and I checked it today ay 13:00hrs and the PLB was reading 86% after 27 hours which is pretty awesome,

Once I hooked the PLB 40 back up to the Campers Socket again within 20/30 minutes the PLB 40 was back up to a 100% again, I worked out that the PLB 40 should run a small Compressor fridge like the CDF-18 for about 7.2 days until flat and using only 80% of it's power it should run the CDF for around 5.7 days. So this Combo is a real game changer, Oh and the little CDF-18 is that quiet when running I could not here it with it running just below my head, That did impress me because my other fridges keep me awake,

Oh well more testing to be done, I'm back home now so time to rest up. (y)

Last edited:

R Stowe

Observer
I haven’t used my PLB40 for several months and just got it out to charge it. It’s showing the high temp warning and continuous beeping. The manual indicates that’s too high of an ambient temp, but it’s been in the house the entire time. Any ideas? It’s also intermittently beeping.

Up until now I’ve been very happy with it.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I haven’t used my PLB40 for several months and just got it out to charge it. It’s showing the high temp warning and continuous beeping. The manual indicates that’s too high of an ambient temp, but it’s been in the house the entire time. Any ideas? It’s also intermittently beeping.

Up until now I’ve been very happy with it.
You could try running some thing from it for a while and see if that clears the error code and then plug it in and see if it charges,

R Stowe

Observer
You could try running some thing from it for a while and see if that clears the error code and then plug it in and see if it charges,
I’ll try that. I’ve contacted Dometic. I’m hesitant to plug it up to charge at the moment but I’ll see if it’ll charge a flashlight or something.

camodog

Adventurer
I just got back from a 3 day trip and the PLB40 did fantastic. Never dropping below 67% while powering our fridge. Not plugged in to 12v while driving mind you. I currently don’t have a 12v in the bed or roof solar yet.

I only had one good day to recharge via portable solar and got it back to 90% while we were gone for a 6hr hike.

I hope to get permanent solar mounted and will be able to keep charged while driving soon.

Even after we switch over to a true dual battery setup (needed for our new camper) I will continue to use the PLB40

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I just got back from a 3 day trip and the PLB40 did fantastic. Never dropping below 67% while powering our fridge. Not plugged in to 12v while driving mind you. I currently don’t have a 12v in the bed or roof solar yet.

I only had one good day to recharge via portable solar and got it back to 90% while we were gone for a 6hr hike.

I hope to get permanent solar mounted and will be able to keep charged while driving soon.

Even after we switch over to a true dual battery setup (needed for our new camper) I will continue to use the PLB40
See I told ya they were good Ay, (y)

With a Solar panel between 100 to 150w they really tick all the boxes, and I love the speed they charge at,

I have 2 PLB's so I bought 2 120w fold up solar panels so I got the best of both worlds,

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:

Treeline

I recently purchased a PLB 40. I have a 100w solar panel on my roof rack with the gray Anderson connector. The PLB has been great for running my Dometic 75DZW fridge, except for one major flaw: when the sun goes down at night (or up in the AM) and the solar panel is getting very little light, the PLB starts alarming and shows the warning ⚠️ symbol. Then I have to unplug the solar, wait a few seconds for the alarm to correct, then I can plug it back in at it’s fine. I would like to Be able to just leave the solar plugged in full time (like if I leave the truck at a trailhead for a few days), so it can stay topped off. But I have to physically unplug the unit every night.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I recently purchased a PLB 40. I have a 100w solar panel on my roof rack with the gray Anderson connector. The PLB has been great for running my Dometic 75DZW fridge, except for one major flaw: when the sun goes down at night (or up in the AM) and the solar panel is getting very little light, the PLB starts alarming and shows the warning ⚠ symbol. Then I have to unplug the solar, wait a few seconds for the alarm to correct, then I can plug it back in at it’s fine. I would like to Be able to just leave the solar plugged in full time (like if I leave the truck at a trailhead for a few days), so it can stay topped off. But I have to physically unplug the unit every night.
Well That is the problem running a Duel zone fridge, They absolutely EAT Power, One thing you did not say was what temp settings you had both bins set to,

My 78L ARB has the bigger compressor and when set to -18*c / 0*f the PLB will run it for 24 hours non stop without issues, What your seeing is not a problem with the PLB, What your seeing is a lack of honesty with the sales pitch with your fridge,

People need to realize that ALL Twin Bin Fridges will chew 1.5 to 3X the amount of power when compared to a Single bin Fridge,

IE, At present my ARB 47L is using 13,494 Ah per 24 hours and it is set to 2*c or 35/36*f, and using the PLB-40 you have a total of 40Ah they say only run it down to 20% which leaves you 32Ah to play with So @ 32 / 13.494 Ah means it will run my fridge for 2.371 Days before it hits to 20% SoC mark, But If I ran the fridge set to -18*c / 0*f then it would chew between 30 to 40Ah,

To put this in to prospective If one side of your fridge is chewing 35-40Ah and the other side is chewing 14-20Ah then during the night your fridge is going to chew between 24.5Ah to 30Ah maybe more and by the sounds of it, It is chewing closer to 35+Ah, So you need to set your solar panel up the night before because even non direct sunlight will produce power for the PLB in the early morning and during the hours after the sun has gone down,

Also if you checkout Dometic's sales pictures on the PLB Page they show you pictures of the PLB plugged in to a single Bin Fridge and not one of their DZ models, To run a Twin Bin Fridge successfully you would need at leased 200watts of solar connected 24/7 and a Type 31 battery,

For now try leaveing the solar hooked up 24/7 when you are parked up so the panel catches the early morning light and in the late afternoon and while you are travelling plug the PLB in to your Cigar Socket and that should cure any issues for now, Your PLB can handle a solar panel up to 150w without the need of a charge controller so I would be Adding one of those because it can put out over 7 to 8 Ah compared to around 5.5 to 6.5 for your 100w panel which is over 30% more power using the 150w panel and it should more than cover your needs.

Hope that helps.

EDIT, unless you are carrying Ice Cream try running the freezer side of your fridge at -10*c / 14*f or -12*c / 10*f and run the fridge side at around 2*c / 35*f or 3*c / 37*f and these Temps are what we use in Australia out in the Bush where it gets real Hot and food will stay safe for weeks even Months, Ok.

Just because your fridge can go right down to -18* to -22*c there is no need to run it that low unless you are using it for long term storage as in 6 months or more, Just pre freeze your frozen food before you leave home in the House freezer or in the Dometic DZ set to -22*c for a day or two and when you are ready to set off set it to -10*c to -12*c this will reduce your DZ's power draw by up to 60/65% and forget about it, All will be fine, (y)

Last edited:

dman93

Adventurer
Looking back through this thread it’s hard to believe that I’ve only had my PLB40 and CFX35 for a year. I’ve used them so much it feels like forever. And I’m generally very happy. That said, as we moved the setup over to our new van, instead of tent camping from the pickup, and we’re camping in much colder weather so the equipment is seeing lower extended temperatures, I’ve got one question and one observation.

Question: I know the battery has a low temp warning, but does the BMS actually disable charging when the temp drops too low, or should I disconnect it from power? I have it connected to a “sometimes on” circuit that’s intended for accessories, which is powered on with key on, stays on for 30-75 minutes depending on vehicle battery SOC, and gets re-energized with door unlock. So the only safe way to avoid supplying power to the battery is to unplug it.

Observation: my battery has the newer firmware which keeps it on for 24 hours with no charge or no load. But if temps are below 36°F or so, the fridge stays off (ie no load) and if we don’t lock/unlock the doors or turn on the engine for 24 hours, there’s no charging either. Then the battery shuts down and the fridge won’t run even when we start up and/or the ambient increase enough. Not a big deal, but I have to remember to check it so my food doesn’t get warm.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Looking back through this thread it’s hard to believe that I’ve only had my PLB40 and CFX35 for a year. I’ve used them so much it feels like forever. And I’m generally very happy. That said, as we moved the setup over to our new van, instead of tent camping from the pickup, and we’re camping in much colder weather so the equipment is seeing lower extended temperatures, I’ve got one question and one observation.

Question: I know the battery has a low temp warning, but does the BMS actually disable charging when the temp drops too low, or should I disconnect it from power? I have it connected to a “sometimes on” circuit that’s intended for accessories, which is powered on with key on, stays on for 30-75 minutes depending on vehicle battery SOC, and gets re-energized with door unlock. So the only safe way to avoid supplying power to the battery is to unplug it.

Observation: my battery has the newer firmware which keeps it on for 24 hours with no charge or no load. But if temps are below 36°F or so, the fridge stays off (ie no load) and if we don’t lock/unlock the doors or turn on the engine for 24 hours, there’s no charging either. Then the battery shuts down and the fridge won’t run even when we start up and/or the ambient increase enough. Not a big deal, but I have to remember to check it so my food doesn’t get warm.
I have left mine in the Van close to 0*c and It has never had an issue and I have not seen any warning lights come On,

For use in Cold weather I would always put any battery in a Foam Lined Pod/Box with foam under it and on all 4 sides, Also if it is very cold the fridge should hardly turn on IE My little Dometic CDF-18 will only use around 4Ah +/- in a 24 hour period when set to 2*c, keeping the fridge in a cold Van really cuts down the power draw, In cold weather the most power it used from the PLB was 14% over a 26 hour period and that was in ambient temps of between 4 and 10*c,

So try and keep the PLB in a Box lined with about 2" of Foam in the Winter months and that should keep things normal 24/7, Dometic do not suggest any such issues but because of the Cost of the PLB I would protect it as much as possible, It's a great unit and to date I still have not found any other setup that charges easy and fast as well keeps my fridges alive and being able to move it from A to B is a real bonus.

Hope that helps.

OllieChristopher

Well That is the problem running a Duel zone fridge, They absolutely EAT Power, One thing you did not say was what temp settings you had both bins set to,

That is really great advice. I never thought of that. I'm in the market for an electric cooler and want the dual zone. It is something to consider.

As far as the PLB40 is concerned I would recommend getting a small 300-500 watt 12 volt inverter to charge your portable battery when driving. You will find it charges much quicker off of a 120v power source.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
That is really great advice. I never thought of that. I'm in the market for an electric cooler and want the dual zone. It is something to consider.

As far as the PLB40 is concerned I would recommend getting a small 300-500 watt 12 volt inverter to charge your portable battery when driving. You will find it charges much quicker off of a 120v power source.
Most people don't realize but fridges like the ARB Fridges actually are Duel Zone Fridges, The Term Duel Zone is misused by nearly everyone including Dometic,

A True Duel Zone Fridge has a Main Cooling Compartment and a Dairy Area where the Cold Air from the Main Compartment Drifts Over to the Dairy Area,

A Fridge with 2 Doors and OR 2 Thermostats Is NOT a Duel Zone Fridge It is a Twin or a Combination Fridge NOT a Duel Zone,

A Duel Zone Fridge looks Like the ARB Blue/Grey or Black and Grey Fridges where it has a Dairy Area at One End and that is a differant temperature compared to the main Area which is why they are a True Duel Zone Fridge, So if you set the main area to -12*c the Dairy Area will be at around +2*c to -2*c.

Hope that clear up any doubts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94