Dometic Fridge Power Consumption

Pest

Adventurer
I'm trying to estimate our power usage per day in order to size the right battery and solar setup.

My only problem is with the fridge. It's a Dometic RM 2354 LB 3-way fridge. There are labels on it for current consumption while operating on AC and on DC (meaning no gas, which is huge at 15ish amps), which is fine, but the problem is that it has a controller. I can't find much information on how much power the controller draws. The fridge requires a DC connection at all times to run, even when on AC or Gas, this is strictly to run the controller. I can't find much information on how much power it draws. The most I could find was that it has a 3A fuse for the controller. If it draws 3A, then the fridge is pulling 36W just to run off gas...this means 864W per day! That seems like it's way too much, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Pest

Adventurer
I just found a hidden label that says 1.3A, which is way better. This still means 375Wh/day though... does that seem right for this fridge? Major power hog.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
I have heard that the circuit boards on absorption fridges do draw upto that amount.

Which is surprising, because an ARB/Engel/Norcold compressor fridges uses that much to run the compressor for 20 minutes out of an hour.

Which is all mine runs at 75 degrees or less.

Pest

Adventurer
Which is surprising, because an ARB/Engel/Norcold compressor fridges uses that much to run the compressor for 20 minutes out of an hour.

Which is all mine runs at 75 degrees or less.

Yep, that's why I'm surprised... I thought that just running a circuit board would be a bit less than this...

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Yep, that's why I'm surprised... I thought that just running a circuit board would be a bit less than this...

The 3-way fridges are very inefficient - seem to be designed to use in an RV with shore power.

I got rid of my 3-way and put a marine 12V fridge in - mo' betta.

ExpoMike

Agreed, these 3 way fridges are for the park and connect to shore power crowds. I have just ordered a Nova Cool R2600 to replace my Norcold 323. Just getting the DC version as 99% of our camping is remote and the few times I might have shore power, it can run off the converter/battery.

Added benefit is you don't have to be perfectly level to get the thing to work correctly. Will run up to a 30* angle.

ExpoMike

The Nova Cool R2600 which almost the exact dimensions as my Norcold 323, yet has more interior space (2.4 cf vs. 1.7 cf) by not having the propane burner system, was $595 from a local vendor. The AC/DC version was about $150 more but I did some research and found I didn't need to have the AC function as the camper converter can take care of the AC part. At $600, it's cheaper than most portable fridges and not much more than a 3 way and without all the hassles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94