Dogs traveling in camper?

craig333

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't let my dog ride in my camper. Besides he's much happier sticking his head out the window.

cph05a

I have a dog and a cat and they both ride in the cab of the truck. Usually the dog is in the back seat and the cat is in the front. I don't let them ride in my truck camper.

tacollie

Glamper
Our dogs road in our flippac all the time. Dogs don't ride in the FWC because I don't want to leave the windows open.

Cayuse

Observer
Four dogs ride in the back seat of the Tundra. They want to be close to us and really I'd rather have them there than in the FWC.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I hesitate to even add anything; as hot and a few year old topic.

My dog rides on the flatbed, 110ib great Pyrenees, when it was a normal truck bed he rode back there, even when towing a goose neck stock trailer. The stock trailer and truck have over 200k miles of safe hauling of equipment, livestock, horses, etc. There was a time or two when, it was raining hard so he got to ride in the stock trailer as we were traveling. Yes in a separate compartment.

Now with the camper on, he usually rides in a dog hammock in the back seat. But does not like it much, or if the truck is full he rides in the camper.

other times, would strap his dogloo on the dog bed and he would ride there.

Not all dogs, are well enough behaved, or trained, or even calm enough to ride in or on the back of a truck, w/ wo a camper. Not usually something to surprise them with when older. It is, like many things a learned skill, that takes lots of time and training.

I do come from a farming and ranching background, and its very common here to see this. If its hot out, he usually stays at home, or i put his cooling vest on him. I have at times, left the truck running with AC, and him in the back seat with the camper on, or in the camper with the fantastic fans on.

all this being said, everyone and all our critters are different. You probably know your dog, cat, critter better than I, and vice versa. And specific breeds are more sensitive to temperature and the like than others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles