Dogs in truck bed under camper shell?

I think you’ve read about the genuine concerns about a dog traveling in the bed of a truck so I’ll skip that part. Re: your choice of topper/cap/canopy…I’ve had two different makes on two different trucks. My ‘96 Dodge Ram had a Snugtop cab-hi, a really good topper. I travelled all over hell and back, on-road off-road with zero issues. When it came time to install a topper on my current Chevy, Snugtop did not offer a taller model…I really wanted to be able to sit up inside using a cot. So I allowed myself to be talked into a Leer 122 hi-top. It is inferior in every aspect. So as not to turn this into just a Leer bashing exercise (you did mention you were looking at Leer so I’m sharing my experience) I’d first look at Snugtop. It is mostly a west coast product but I’ll bet you can find them in Texas. Caveat: Snugtop was acquired by the TAG Group several years ago…they also own Leer. Here’s to hoping that their quality hasn’t suffered. ? I‘d also look at ARE. Their reviews are mixed but I’ve spoken with several owners who rave about them. Good luck. ?

And…I have one of those ”drop down” cab side windows you mention on my Leer. Drop off and fall is more like it. Others may have a different experience.

Craig_C

Some good replies so far, I travel to hunt tests so I have some experience with my Labrador Retrievers. Most people travel with their dogs in a kennel no problem, but we keep ours in the cab of the truck. The most important thing is air flow (assuming ambient air temps are 90 degrees or less, I don't have experience above that). Also, NEVER put a dog in a crate when it is wet (unless you have fans and tons of airflow)!!! It is counter intuitive, I know. The problem is that without air flow they now have no way of cooling off and will just bake in that humidity. Dogs do better with low humidity, so I wonder if misters would actually help the dog keep cool. Ryobi makes a battery powered fan that will easily hook onto wire crates, from my memory the 2 amp hour ones will last 4-5 hours on low (there are other brands as well). Others have use the light wires to install a computer fan.

I know you said you wouldn't be parked, but if you are aluminet shade cloth is amazing stuff, get the highest reflectivity. It has a mesh like pattern that allows air to flow. Would be worth having if you broke down, or stuck on the road. Comes in tons of different sizes. The only problem is it doesn't fold up the smallest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94