Does the 2007 V6 4Runner have enough power

Watt maker

Thanks! Not hitting the trails as much as I would like, but still doing my best to. Covid has led me to tackle quite a few projects on it and it is on full time camp/off road duty now. Don't ever think I will part with it (owned it since new and still only have around 90k miles on it).

Wow, that’s amazingly low miles! I’m literally a trip away from 200k on my ‘08 4runner. 2020 in general put a damper on our off-road travel, and traveling in general. Seemed like we used the 5th gen and tundra more for just about everything in 2020 vs our 4th gen but it’s ready to go nonetheless.

IMG_5373-L.jpg

surlydiesel

Adventurer
If you put larger than stock tires, you basically need to re-gear. Sometimes even a stock truck will perform better with lower gearing. So, if you feel like you've lost power due to tires, plan to re-gear.

Galexc

I have a build very similar to what you are thinking of doing (minus the RTT) and I will echo what others say about you feeling the weight. That being said it is totally doable, although you could benefit from regearing (I have 255/80/17's and have been putting it off for too long).

fZcvqyy.jpg

AxtS4wj.jpg
You are right, that is almost exactly what I want to do. Thank you for the input and pictures! Great looking rig!!

Dalko43

Explorer
2 things to keep in mind:
  1. The 4.0l 1GR-FE V6 that is used in the 4th gen 4runner (and still used by the 5th gen 4runner and other overseas platforms) is not like the new 3.5l v6 used for the newest Tacoma. The 4.0l was built, from the ground-up, to serve as a truck engine, while the 3.5l is a car engine that was repurposed as a truck engine (not a very good one IMHO). The paper stats may lead you to believe that the 4.0l doesn't offer much of an advantage, but driving experience has shown me that the mid and low end grunt is there. You're not going to win stop-light drag races, but the engine does its job well, especially for a stock vehicle.
  2. The v8 4th Gen's are highly coveted because of their added torque and hp - not leaps-and-bounds better, but still a noticeable improvement. The 4.0l will handle the weight, but you will notice it as you drive. MPG's will tank for either engine type as the vehicle bulks up - so my advice is to keep the modifications light or buy another vehicle (1/2 ton) with a larger fuel tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles