Does low AC voltage damage electronics?

deeznutz206

I have a handful of power packs that I have built and use it with a pure sine wave inverter to power my electronics like desktop, laptop, tv, etc. My inverter shows the voltage for both DC and AC.

What I have noticed is when the DC voltage is at 11.0 volts, the AC voltage is around 100 volts and decreasing. Since 110-120 volts AC is the norm from our wall outlets, that got me wondering if I am actually damaging my electronics.

So does low AC voltage, let's say 100 volts or lower, damage or is dangerous for electronics? Is there a range that I should be using it between if low AC voltage does damage them?

FlipperFla

Yes it will damage electronics, voltage goes down....current goes up. Those little power packs you are using are not capable of the current draw from an Inverter. You only have .5v before 10.5, the Inverter will shut down or burn up. I would also be concerned with a fire hazard besides damaging your electronics.

john61ct

Adventurer
Letting your battery cell voltages go that low is drastically shortening pack lifespan as well. What chemistry?

Really should have a BMS to stop discharge based on cell voltage.

But a simple pack level LVC "battery protect" would do

in either case ideally with adjustable setpoints.

deeznutz206

Letting your battery cell voltages go that low is drastically shortening pack lifespan as well. What chemistry?

Really should have a BMS to stop discharge based on cell voltage.

But a simple pack level LVC "battery protect" would do

in either case ideally with adjustable setpoints.
They are LiFe chemistry so not too bad if the voltage gets that low compared to LiIo.

john61ct

Adventurer
Not true.

At rest LFP should never be allowed to go below 3.0Vpc, and that still **drastically** reduces lifespan, compared to avg DoD% of say 70-85%

Of course if longevity is not a priority, do what you like. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles