Does it Exist? Newer AWD Tall-Wagon Van Thing You can Sleep In

Star Stuff

^^^ Yes, but as I explained, the Transit was not in the running as I wasn't aware of the more reasonably sized low-roof/short wheel base combo at that time.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
^^^ Yes, but as I explained, the Transit was not in the running as I wasn't aware of the more reasonably sized low-roof/short wheel base combo at that time.

They're pricey, too. Also, as I understand it, the 3.5 EB that they offer is the "first generation" not the newer 2nd gen 3.5 EB that's in the F-150.

Star Stuff

I just came across a 2015 Ford Transit 150 low-roof, short WB with only 70,000 km on it, but it has the 3.2L 5 cyl diesel engine, and uses DEF fluid. Is anyone familiar with this particular [B20] engine? I'm surprised at how little I'm finding on Google.

XJLI

Adventurer
I just came across a 2015 Ford Transit 150 low-roof, short WB with only 70,000 km on it, but it has the 3.2L 5 cyl diesel engine, and uses DEF fluid. Is anyone familiar with this particular [B20] engine? I'm surprised at how little I'm finding on Google.

Its the last of the "Puma" motors, aka Duratorq ROW. IIRC all of the mods for the US version are emissions-only. Very good motor otherwise.

TooSteep

Observer
Star Stuff - which part of the country are you in? I bought a 2003 AWD Safari last year (looking for the same parameters as you) with ~ 154,000 km. It turns out that I am not the person to do my own buildout from scratch, so it's still sitting here ready for someone to get after it. Keep procrastinating listing it on CL. Not sure if it has the G80 locker or not.

I'm in Vancouver.

Star Stuff

O.M.G!

Googling around this afternoon for a low-roof, 130" WB Transit, I came across an ad for a 2017 which said "4X4". I thought right away that they had made a mistake, but after flipping through the photos, I noticed some "Quigley" logos, and of course not long after that, learned all about the Quigley 4X4 conversions done in PA, and the Quadvan versions done in Oregon. I can't believe that in all my searching I hadn't ever come across these. It seems to check all the boxes, and the one big advantage over the 2020 AWD from Ford, is that they are lifted 2". Oh Mama!

I actually found two 2017s for sale here in Canada, pretty much identical, one with 67,000 km, and the other with only 37,000 km, and both are passenger versions, so I would need to rip out the rear seats.

Any comments as to the strengths or weaknesses of the Quigleys?

86scotty

Cynic

Do yourself a favor and do not even consider a Transit diesel, period. Talk to some expeditors or contractors who have had them. They are trouble.
I would stay away from early Transits anyway. I had one and put 120k on it in a year or so, expediting. It was a 3.2l Ecoboost and was very reliable but not trouble free. The early ones had drive shaft issues (well documented), flex disk/guibo issues (related, also well documented) and torque converter issues. A 2015 diesel will give you all of these issues paired with DEF/DPF issues.

bus 4x4

Would a Toyota Coaster fit the bill? We convert them into 4x4 in Australia. They are only 7 mts in length and drive like a car.

Attachments

• Toyota Coaster 4x4 Bus.JPG
    Toyota Coaster 4x4 Bus.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 36

Star Stuff

I thought I’d give an update on my vehicle search/journey.

I actually bought a Safari van about 5 weeks ago. It wasn’t an AWD, and was a little older than I wanted (1999), but it did have the G80 locker diff and a new engine in 2013, and was a really good price, so I bought it and worked feverishly on it for 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately – and much to my surprise - I just never fell in love with it or got excited about it. It just felt too old and dated, and was also not very pleasant to work on engine-wise. They didn’t change the Astro/ Safaris hardly at all from ’95 to ‘05, so I just felt like that 1995 technology was a big step backwards, when what one usually expects with a vehicle change is a step forwards. I mean put it this way, the bloody thing has a cassette deck!!! LOL. So I elected to sell it, and will put it up for sale very soon once I receive a couple of small parts. *Fortunately I never pulled the trigger on the larger items for the Safari, like the lift kit, shocks, wheels & tires, but I did a LOT of other things to bring its condition up.

So I started looking once again at other options, and the only thing that stood out was the short WB, low roof Transit. I found that most of them were white, and did find a nice 2017 with a limited slip diff (which I must have), but after seeing the gorgeous silver version, I decided that it had to be that color. So I started scouring the ‘net for a 2017 – 2019 silver one with a LS diff, but unfortunately each one I found had the lame-ass open diff. Given that many, if not most of these vehicles are going to see snow at some point, I’m not sure why Ford didn’t just put the LS diff in all of them.

But then…….I discovered that the LS carrier part from Ford was available at a very low price, so changing the open diff over to a LS was not going to be too expensive. I then revisited a silver 2018 that I had found earlier online with only 20,000 km (12,500 mi) on it, and negotiated a good price. I then ordered the LS diff from Ford, and that will be swapped-out soon.

The moment I first drove the Transit, I experienced that feeling that was so lacking with the Safari. It drives sooooo nice, with that sense of modernity, technology and safety. Lamentably, the sound system sucks.

I put my mint Ranger up for sale and it sold for full asking price in one day.

I picked the Transit up a week ago, and have already gone to work on it. A thorough cleaning, detailing and a wax; removed the rear passenger seats; painted the silver wheel-covers with black Plasti-Dip; added a custom-designed stripe myself (it’s what I do), and yesterday got some transformative BFG KO2 255/70 r16s installed.

Attachments

• A9139699.jpg
    A9139699.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 62
  • A9139712.jpg
    A9139712.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 57
  • A9139716.jpg
    A9139716.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 53
  • A9139718.jpg
    A9139718.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 52
  • A9139719.jpg
    A9139719.jpg
    603.9 KB · Views: 51
  • A9139726.jpg
    A9139726.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 48

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nice! Glad you found what you were looking for. I like the look of the "window van" more than the "free candy/serial killer" look of a non-window van (even though I know not having windows gives you more versatility on how the interior is done.)

So did you get the Eco Boost? My understanding is that the van has the "older" 3.5 EB engine that "only" makes 325hp or so (which should still be plenty adequate.)

I'll be interested to see how your build goes. I've often thought a van would be a nice compromise for an all-around vehicle. At least they still retain some utility whereas the newer SUVs all seem to have morphed into mini vans.

Star Stuff

Nice! Glad you found what you were looking for. I like the look of the "window van" more than the "free candy/serial killer" look of a non-window van (even though I know not having windows gives you more versatility on how the interior is done.)

Yes, the cargo versions of these never seemed to have windows in the rear doors or the slider door, so that was a deal-breaker for a cargo version.

So did you get the Eco Boost? My understanding is that the van has the "older" 3.5 EB engine that "only" makes 325hp or so (which should still be plenty adequate.)

From the internet:
"The Ford Transit is available with a choice of three engines. The base engine is a 3.7-liter V-6 making 275 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. Optional engines include a twin-turbo 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 rated 310 hp and 400 lb-ft torque, and a 3.2-liter Powerstroke turbodiesel I-5 making 185 hp and 350 lb-ft torque."

I'm finding that the 275 hp of the 3.7 L is plenty for my needs.

I'll be interested to see how your build goes. I've often thought a van would be a nice compromise for an all-around vehicle. At least they still retain some utility whereas the newer SUVs all seem to have morphed into mini vans.

There's not really a "build" happening, my plan is to just add one, large, contour-cut rubber mat on the rear floor for maximum flexibility of use. When I wish to do a road trip, I will simply throw in a cot & foam mattress, plus other gear, and go. This leaves it usable for myriad other uses throughout the year. A "camperized" van really limits usage.

*I am toying with the idea of some subtle stripes on the hood, what do you all think?

Attachments

• Subtle.jpg
    Subtle.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 19

Grassland

The 3.7 cyclone is reliable. I have one in my F150 and one in my Transit 250 medium roof.
With a 2018 you should have the U joint driveshaft and not the guibo, but I'd crawl under and look.
I'd also skip the factory LS and put something better in. Should be lots of choice for a Ford 9.75"
With a 150 you have better choice in tires as you don't need the insane load rating the 250 and 350 have which limits us to stock tire size, or forces us to go up 2"+ in diameter and there is no way to recalibrate speedometer and odometer for larger tires.
Be warned these things eat rear brakes. I just did my rear brakes at 40,000 KM. And they are expensive for labour as you apparently need to pull axles or something ridiculous.
The electrical on these vans is also something different. I bought mine with tow package and brake control, heavier duty alternator etc, but have heard it's not the most pleasant platform for adding things after the fact.

Also chiming in to remind you I also pointed out the short wheelbase low roof Transit 150 back in April lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles