Does anyone own (or even seen) a Phoenix "Chassis Mount" Camper?

Durango

Adventurer
So we were super close to pulling the trigger on a new 2015 Ram 3500/Tiger Bengal TX combo. (Still may do it.) But I'm intrigued by staying with my 2012 Ram 2500 gasser, selling the Hawk, pulling the truck bed off and going with the Phoenix "chassis mount" and a cab pass through. (This build would incorporate many of the design features from Terra Ops recent flat bed build.)

The Phoenix web site says they do "chassis mount" campers HERE but they have very few photos. Does any one have any experience with these units?

Thanks,
Steve

PS I arrived at the chassis mount concept versus the flatbed model simply because we never remove the camper. So mounting to the frame would give us a lower profile, more payload by subtracting the weight of the flatbed and lower the investment too. But I don't know how much experience Phoenix actually has with this area.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I kinda follow Phoenix, and have only seen the photo of one chassis mount unit. If my memory serves, Rob's family was involved with the original Tiger company. I'm with you, the significantly lower profile, extra room and layout of a chassis mount looks like the way to go. I've even considered converting my slide in to a frame mount, possibly using an old truck box with the sides cut off as a base. If you're so inclined, I'm sure you could just give him a call and visit with him about it. I like Tigers too, except for the high profile..... you know the original Tigers were pop ups.

Durango

Adventurer
If you're so inclined, I'm sure you could just give him a call and visit with him about it. I like Tigers too, except for the high profile..... you know the original Tigers were pop ups.
I am definitely "so inclined". :) But it is the weekend and I've got this stuff rolling around in my head NOW! Plus Terra Ops told me Rob will be busy getting ready for the Overland Expo East any way. And nothing like input from down in the trenches!

Steve

PS So does anyone actually have a "chassis mount" Phoenix?

BTW, this is nothing against Tiger. I've been very impressed with the company and their users. Just trying to avoid the complications of changing vehicles, etc by going with a "Tiger light" with a pop-up concept. And oddly, of all our small concerns with the Hawk concept the soft expandable pop-up deal is no problem.

Last edited:

Overdrive

Adventurer
Or get an aluminum flat bed to save the weight, and go with the FWC flat-bed model. :)

Would the few inches you save by going chassis-mount be worth the expense, and the likely harder-to-sell aspect when it comes time to sell? You could use the under-the-flatbed areas for storage by mounting boxes. The big advantage of the chassis-mount is the full-length door and easier entry-exit, but if you've enjoyed your Hawk, maybe that's not an issue for you. Look at a FWC flatbed model before you pull the trigger.

Durango

Adventurer
Thanks, Scott. Those are good points. With a flatbed I could sell them off separately. And the entry to the Hawk really hasn't been an issue. Maybe I just need to suck it up... :)

Paredneck

Observer
I had a Phoenix pop top. It was a 2004 model. Terrible build quality and leaked like you would believe. I now have a four wheel camper built the same year. I would never go the Phoenix route again.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I agree 100% with Paredneck

I've seen a few custom phoenix campers, and was never impressed with the quality. FAR from it.
Ones Ive seen that have any serious road time on them were falling apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles