Does anyone know anything about this truck?

soonenough

Explorer
I hope this is the right forum to post this in.

I was just curious if anyone knows anything about this Tacoma. I've searched on here, TTORA, and the internet, and I've never been able to find any details. Specifically, I was wondering if anyone knows (or can tell just by looking at it) what size tire he's running and what type of lift it has. I've seen this Tacoma in a bunch of different places, most notably the ARB catalog, so I'm assuming it's running a full off-the-shelf OME setup. I guess my real question is whether they're 285/75/16's or 255/85/16's. It has the stock 16" TRD wheels, and the tires don't appear to be bulging out the sides, so I'm thinking they're 255/85s. I've always thought this was an awesome-looking Tacoma. I realize the color-matched bumper probably isn't the most practical for off-road travel, but it sure does look sweet. :drool:

BTW, does anyone know if there's a reason for the ARB bumper not having shackle mounts? It seems like that would be standard equipment on any bumper. I've searched around, and seen some of the stuff people have fab'd to add recovery points, but I don't think I've ever been able to find a good reason for the bumper not coming with them.

arb_tacoma_2.jpg

arb_tacoma_3.jpg

I found this pic on the Expeditions West site (which is awesome BTW, as if you guys didn't already know that). Other than the sticker on the hood, it looks to be the same truck, but I'm sure there's probably more than one in existence that looks like this.

white_tacoma.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
It is the same truck. ARB built it to accommodate the NA Tacoma accessories available from ARB. I had the truck for several months for testing.

It was a dream to drive on the road, and quite capable on the trail.

soonenough

Explorer
Wow, that was fast! Thanks, Scott :D

Can you give me any details about the suspension setup it has? Is it just the standard OME/Dakar setup? And tire size?

Sorry for all the questions, but the OME/Dakar setup w/ 255/85s and the ARB bumper is exactly the setup I'd eventually like to go with, and if that's what this truck iha (and you've driven it for an extended amount of time) I'd like any info I can get. My only concern about the OME setup is the complaints that seem to come up fairly frequently about the ride being harsh on-road with the Dakars and no load in the back. But then I see a lot of people say it rides better than stock, so I don't know what to believe. I guess there's really no way to know except to ride in a similaryly set-up truck for myself and see what I think.

Last edited:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Seems like the setup/specs for the ARB Tacoma is published in one of the first few OJ's, but I don't have access to it right now.

Given the early outfitting of that truck, I would guess those might be the 885 springs up front (I seem to recall that the 886's were added later?), and their standard medium duty Dakars in the rear. Tires look like 265/75/16 to me.

How the suspension rides is pretty subjective, which is why you are seeing so many mixed reviews. More often than not, after you've dropped $1000+ on a new suspension setup, you're body is going to tell you it's a much better ride. From what I recall, the Dakars give a slightly better load-carrying capacity which could account for some additional stiffness when unloaded. ARB advises you to remove one of the leafs from the pack if you wish to soften the ride and reduce the load carrying abilities a bit.

I'm running OME all around, but I can't really recall what it used to ride like any more. But if I review my comments from way back when, I reported a more controlled ride, improved rebounding/dampening, with some increase in stiffness (but not in a negative way). I've run both the 885 and 886 springs up front, and while I generally liked the ride of the 885's more, the stiffer 886's hold the front end weight much better.

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Jacket said:
Seems like the setup/specs for the ARB Tacoma is published in one of the first few OJ's, but I don't have access to it right now.

Given the early outfitting of that truck, I would guess those might be the 885 springs up front (I seem to recall that the 886's were added later?), and their standard medium duty Dakars in the rear. Tires look like 265/75/16 to me.

Agreed. Tires don't look tall enough to be 255/85R16's. I am running 255/85's with the 886 springs and my truck appears a bit taller.

free

AFIK, the BFG ATs don't come in 255/85/16s, or I would have bought them. I would guess 265/75/16, also.

4hilux

Observer
Re the ARB rear bumpers - I just remove the hitch bit, then thread the strap into the receiver part, & then put the pin through the strap loop - no need to use a shackel, & the load is then evenly distributed, not like when only using a hook on one side......

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior