Does anyone have a Tacoma wiring diagram?

JMacs

Observer
Does anyone have the factory wiring diagrams for a 2017 Tacoma? Specifically the ones to the ignition coils?

The other night, my Taco went into limp mode. Occasionally. Managed to get it to a dealership. They pulled the trouble codes and told me it was the ignition coils, but couldn’t tell me which one. Even if they could, they were booked out a month. After doing a bit of research, I don’t think it is the coils. When the codes indicate all 3 coils on the drivers side are having issues, I don’t think it is the coils. I think it is a wiring harness problem serving the drivers side.

Why did I pick a dealership? Well the problems started about 11:00 on a Friday night near Sterling, Colorado. We were on our way to Summit County for vacation. Where else do you go in Denver when you don’t know. Limped on and off from Sterling to Denver. Checked into a hotel at 1:30 in the morning about 2 blocks from Stevenson Toyota West. Hit them up on Saturday morning. Nice people, but not real helpful.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Most likely issue to intermittently take out everything on one side of an engine is a bad ground. Check all grounds you can find? Otherwise, sorry, I don’t know what to tell you and don’t have a wiring diagram.

JMacs

Observer
Well, I paid my $20 for 2 days of access to the On-line Toyota TIS website. You can view the repair manual on-line, but you can't download it. Kind of helpful for today, but not in a week. Don't want to pay the $400 (or what ever it was) for a full year subscription.

You can download the Service Bulletins, Quick Training Guides, some Electrical Wiring Diagrams, Campaign Publications, and Accessories Installation instructions. But not the good stuff. If you are going to try and dive deep into your engine, you will want to have your laptop out there in the garage next to you. You can pull up the Repair Manual. Look at everything in it. It has some decent pages that make it easy to find what you are looking for. For example, if you want to see Camshaft Timing Oil Control Valve Assembly connection is, it will highlight that part for you.

JMacs

Observer
Most likely issue to intermittently take out everything on one side of an engine is a bad ground. Check all grounds you can find? Otherwise, sorry, I don’t know what to tell you and don’t have a wiring diagram.

Thanks for the thoughts.

For what it's worth, there are 5 grounding points. I was able to take a screen shot of those. Here it is for anyone's future reference.
1669401360640.png

JMacs

Observer
As a follow up to the original issue. Never happened again after Friday night. Went in and out of Limp mode 6 or 7 times that night. But never since. That was over 700 miles ago.

After looking through the manual, there is a violet wire that serves all 3 ignition coils on the driver's side, a white one for the passenger side. That is the next possibility. Maybe. Hopefully.
1669401658266.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior