Does Anyone Actually Use Their House Water for Drinking?

dbhost

Not true at all. The vast majority of wild, moving water is likely safe in the USA. A study from a few years back tested hundreds of streams in the Sierra. They found crypto or giardia in very few of them, mostly down towards the foothills near agriculture impacts. That doesn't mean don't treat. I've had giardia when I was a boyscout. It is NOT FUN. Also keep an eye on the source if it's downstream from mining impacts. Huge issue in Montana and Colorado. I almost always drink wild water up high. Biggest issue in the wild is personal hygiene. Way more likely to get ill from dirty human stuff. Filtration is smart. Low likelihood of illness but said illness can create a survival situation.

Not sure how old you are, but when I was in the Boy Scouts in the early to mid 80s, we were told to ONLY trust wild water sources if they are filtered. I still have my First Need, and use it when I need to get water from untrusted sources. As you mentioned, Giardia is NOT fun. That is why filling up from known good, generally municipal sources is a good idea. If you can't, filter, and even then, sanitize with iodine drops. But generally speaking I will NOT introduce untrusted water to my onboard water system.

dbhost

We don't really drink a lot....of water.... while camping..... Um... Cheers!

View attachment 752747

We do use our house water for doing dishes and brushing teeth though. As others have said, we treat the tanks every year and put water conditioner in it every time we fill it prior to heading out. (We fill it at home prior to heading out with our garden hose)

Say what you will, hose water is the best. Ask any kid born before 1990.

What, no Scotch and water? Or are we holding the water?

What is water conditioner? (the actual not smart a--ed reason I replied...)

What I need to figure out is how to get / keep ice cubes for extended duration in hot climates so I can make frozen margaritas off grid...

dstefan

Not true at all. The vast majority of wild, moving water is likely safe in the USA. A study from a few years back tested hundreds of streams in the Sierra. They found crypto or giardia in very few of them, mostly down towards the foothills near agriculture impacts. That doesn't mean don't treat. I've had giardia when I was a boyscout. It is NOT FUN. Also keep an eye on the source if it's downstream from mining impacts. Huge issue in Montana and Colorado. I almost always drink wild water up high. Biggest issue in the wild is personal hygiene. Way more likely to get ill from dirty human stuff. Filtration is smart. Low likelihood of illness but said illness can create a survival situation.
Glad to hear its better than I've been led to believe. I still will not drink any wild water without treatment. Just not worth it to me.
You are so right-on re:mining impacts. Last summer we camped upstream from an old gold mining town in NE Nevada. Beautiful stream. Drove out through the town and downstream it was visually obvious how contaminated it was from the old tailings. Which is not to say the upstream wasn’t also full of heavy metals we couldnt see, but it was stunning to see the change in the stream.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
What, no Scotch and water? Or are we holding the water?

What is water conditioner? (the actual not smart a--ed reason I replied...)

What I need to figure out is how to get / keep ice cubes for extended duration in hot climates so I can make frozen margaritas off grid...

Nah, if I want a water back I'll just let my ice melt a bit.

Here's a couple examples of water conditioner.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Yup always hell I still drink out of creeks and streams. I draw the line at irrigation ditches tho

Before we sold the ranch my favorite place to fill my canteen was an old windmill on the backside of the place. Cold fresh water that was just refreshing. I don’t have any issues out of cold moving sources such as streams and rivers, but I typically run them through a filter on my pack. Not always, but typically.

Nailhead

Not sure how old you are, but when I was in the Boy Scouts in the early to mid 80s, we were told to ONLY trust wild water sources if they are filtered. I still have my First Need, and use it when I need to get water from untrusted sources. As you mentioned, Giardia is NOT fun. That is why filling up from known good, generally municipal sources is a good idea. If you can't, filter, and even then, sanitize with iodine drops. But generally speaking I will NOT introduce untrusted water to my onboard water system.
When I was a kid, we'd fill buckets from the river near the cabin we went to every summer west of Walden, Co, fill the old Igloo galvanized water cooler and drink that water. When we were out fishing that river, we'd just bend down and get a drink whenever we were thirsty (gotta keep those deer flies fed, ya know...). It's just what we did, and none of us ever got sick from it.

macuaig

There needs to be a simple, publicly available way to get your tap water tested, (and the procedures widely communicated), at least to the same standards at the processing plant. It doesn’t matter a tiddly twat what the upstream lab results are, I don’t get that water. I get it after it’s gone through the city, neighborhood, and whatever cheap ratty pipes and 60 year old plumbing in the house. I‘ve NEVER seen this basic reality even mentioned when water quality is reported.

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
There needs to be a simple, publicly available way to get your tap water tested, (and the procedures widely communicated), at least to the same standards at the processing plant. It doesn’t matter a tiddly twat what the upstream lab results are, I don’t get that water. I get it after it’s gone through the city, neighborhood, and whatever cheap ratty pipes and 60 year old plumbing in the house. I‘ve NEVER seen this basic reality even mentioned when water quality is reported.

A HOME water test is simple and easy to get for FREE!

Just call your local Culligan Man or any of the other folks in your area pimping home water filters.

They will come to your home, test your water and then try to sell you a water filtration system. Compare their results to those published by your local water system provider and see what if any differences there are.

These guys will test your water and give you a detailed report without ever leaving the comfort of your home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles