Does Anyone Actually Use Their House Water for Drinking?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I worked in a modern water testing facility in the lab for many years. Bottled water has far lower requirements than municipal water. We use to test stuff occasionally for fun. One popular bottled water had rat turds in it. We tested a few more got the same results.

Fiji water is owned by the largest water barron in the US with a long history of super scetch business dealings. Same couple bought up old oil desert land in southern CA Central Valley for pennies on the $. Prior to that they set up their own water district and basically stole GOV water allocations and then became the largest AG farmer in the lower Central Valley. They have a crappy history of treating workers bad and worse history of questionable business dealings. Fiji water was their early days of scamming water rights from people

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Drink tap water all the time and Re-Fill the empty water bottles my wife purchases all the time with TAP WATER!

Keeps ya gootanclean!

All this don't drink the tap water, wash your hands repeatedly in that tap water you don't drink, don't touch anything without gloves, keep Handy Wipes everywhere, wear your mask, kids NOT playing outside in the DIRT crap is why so many folks get sick today so easily.

Ya gotta git exposed to the bad things to build your personal immunity to stay healthy!

It's not a hard concept to understand!

Last edited:

billiebob

bacteria from excrement or dead animals or other ways. Would leach or be passed directly into lake or river wate
Exactly.... and thank god we have systems in our bodies to deal with that impuritty..... If this is your concern..... just shut the door and stay home.

When North America had the Polio explosion, 1950s.... those affected most were the wealthy kids. Polio IS a natural virus, occurring in human excriment. Poor kids playing in dirt aquired a natural immumity. Rich kids playing on manicured lawns did not. Entering school the wealthy kids were most affected.

Rooseveltinwheelchair.jpg

I am not being critical but the March of Dimes was driven by wealth and the discovery of a vaccine funded by wealth. Thank god a past President had Polio... I am sure he added inspiration to the campaign for the cure.

Following thru our lack of safety for drinking water is outrageous. I think the public health standards thru out North America are outstanding on drinking water safety. The only reason for concern is blatant disregard for existing standards.

That said, our grandparents never considered the impurities in the stream. And we should not need to either. When the concern is real the solution is not filtering your drinking water.... The solution is regulating upstream "polluters".... Industrial users.

I think I remember we did use the camper water for drinking when I was a little kid, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that since.

It would be useful if I could use that water for drinking because then I wouldn't have to carry a 5-gal jug in the gas can rack.

I figure if I circulated a bleach solution through the tank & plumbing then rinsed it out, it would probably be safe to drink, for a while at least.

What do you think?
We do every year. Bleach at beginning of the year and just bleached and drained for winter. We only refill with our house water just because our east coast trips are usually no more than 4 days. I had water tested twice in the past and it was fine.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I worked in a modern water testing facility in the lab for many years. Bottled water has far lower requirements than municipal water. We use to test stuff occasionally for fun. One popular bottled water had rat turds in it. We tested a few more got the same results.

Fiji water is owned by the largest water barron in the US with a long history of super scetch business dealings. Same couple bought up old oil desert land in southern CA Central Valley for pennies on the $. Prior to that they set up their own water district and basically stole GOV water allocations and then became the largest AG farmer in the lower Central Valley. They have a crappy history of treating workers bad and worse history of questionable business dealings. Fiji water was their early days of scamming water rights from people
Not to worry here. The local bottler uses the municipal supply for its source. The water my former employer used was taken from the municipal source and then treated in our own treatment plant (reverse osmosis etc). Coke and the other customers had extremely strict requirements for water purity.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Not to worry here. The local bottler uses the municipal supply for its source. The water my former employer used was taken from the municipal source and then treated in our own treatment plant (reverse osmosis etc). Coke and the other customers had extremely strict requirements for water purity.
If you drink Budwiser flavored water west of the Rockies you drank water from the plant I was at.

i drink from the tank. tank is filled w a drinking water hose w a filter on it. once or twice per season i put a half bottle of lemon juice concentrate in the tank and drive home. never had a problem.

4000lbsOfGoat

Ya gotta git exposed to the bad things to build your personal immunity to stay healthy!

It's not a hard concept to understand!
Well, either you "build immunity" or you die.
"The World Health Organization says that every year more than 3.4 million people die as a result of water related diseases, making it the leading cause of disease and death around the world." - https://www.voanews.com/a/a-13-2005-03-17-voa34-67381152/274768.html

Don't drink surface water. It's not a hard concept to understand!

Mike W.

Most bottled water is nothing more than city water run through a filter system..Most likely a poorly maintained filter system..

Nailhead

"The World Health Organization says that every year more than 3.4 million people die as a result of water related diseases, making it the leading cause of disease and death around the world." - https://www.voanews.com/a/a-13-2005-03-17-voa34-67381152/274768.html

We used to every summer, right out of the Roaring Fork River. Grab the old galvanized buckets, walk down to the river at one particular deep spot, and Grandpa would carefully dip the buckets full as he could because he was strong enough to. Then we’d each carry a bucket back to the cabin, being careful not to get sagebrush twigs in it, or spill too much. We did that, we’d get our asses chewed. Pour ‘em in the old metal Igloo water cooler, and we had our drinking/cooking water for several days. Refill as necessary.

We never had any problems drinking that water. Hell, we’d just bend down and take a drink while we were fishing.

Tasty, too— some of the best water I ever drank.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
People become accustomed to the water that they drink and the bugs it contains.
The water that you drink every day might make me very sick.
In our truck, we add chlorine (liquid sodium hypochlorite) to all the water we pick up from any source. We then put it through a 0.5um carbon block filter immediately before consumption. That makes almost any water biologically pretty safe.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!

Most all of us live in the USA where there are water standards for drinking water not around the world where in many locations there are no water standards for drinking water.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
People become accustomed to the water that they drink and the bugs it contains.
The water that you drink every day might make me very sick.
In our truck, we add chlorine (liquid sodium hypochlorite) to all the water we pick up from any source. We then put it through a 0.5um carbon block filter immediately before consumption. That makes almost any water biologically pretty safe.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Activated carbon is what we call T&O filter. Its only for taste and odor. In fact it’s referred to as a live basin filter media in the water biz. Yup stuff living in it, but harmless stuff.
The only effective under counter small stuff is the micro filters and careful doses of disinfectant for nasty biological cleaning.

Have seen some seriously bad samples typically from bad wells and contaminated surface water sources.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The Science Behind Activated Carbon Water Filters | CB Tech (carbonblocktech.com)
" In general, carbon filters remove at least 81 chemicals and are effective at reducing another 52. According to the EPA, activated carbon is the only filtering material that removes all 12 identified herbicides and 14 pesticides, along with all 32 identified organic contaminants.

Activated carbon also removes chemicals, such as chlorine, that affect the aesthetic quality of your drinking water. Most public water systems in the United States contain chlorine as a disinfectant. However, chlorine can lead to an unpleasant taste and smell in tap water as well as create potentially carcinogenic byproducts. Activated carbon filters out chlorine byproducts and VOCs, to produce clean water.

Note that on its own, activated carbon doesn’t remove every contaminant. Certain minerals, salts, and metals can slip through the filter. However, much of this is only true for GAC filters. Carbon block filters are capable of removing many more pollutants, including metals such as lead. Carbon block filters also remove microbiological contaminants from drinking water, including waterborne pathogens. The best carbon block filters reduce pollutants like arsenic, asbestos, mercury, and radon."

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles