Does Anyone Actually Use Their House Water for Drinking?

180out

All the time and for years and in two campers.

We bleach at the start of the season and run all water though a big 3M filter.

We only take water from reasonable sources, e.g., our own house and, usually, commercial campgrounds.

Never been sick on the road.
Same

alanymarce

At home here in Colombia we drink the tap water, which meets safety standards. When on the road we drink tap water in most countries; we don't in some though - I wouldn't drink tap water in places like Congo or Egypt, for example.

Away from tap water I'd drink water from mountain streams when it's near the source and away from farm animal contamination - for example in the páramos in Colombia. I avoid lake water.

Umbrarian

Observer
I think I remember we did use the camper water for drinking when I was a little kid, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that since.

It would be useful if I could use that water for drinking because then I wouldn't have to carry a 5-gal jug in the gas can rack.

I figure if I circulated a bleach solution through the tank & plumbing then rinsed it out, it would probably be safe to drink, for a while at least.

What do you think?

When you bought your house, did the seller disclose the water was unsafe to drink?

Umbrarian

Observer
I'd just as soon we fast-forwarded to the point you're trying to make, if you don't mind. I've had a long week.

That is the point. Did you knowingly buy a house with unsafe drinking water? I cant imagine the hardship you have owning a home with water you cannot drink. ******** they make movies about this stuff.

4000lbsOfGoat

Most all of us live in the USA where there are water standards for drinking water not around the world where in many locations there are no water standards for drinking water.
I was not talking about water that has met any kind of standards...I was responding to those on this thread who claim it is ok to drink untreated surface water. It is not safe to drink untreated surface water, regardless of the country whose surface it happens to be on. And regardless of how many times you did it "back in the old days".

Nailhead

That is the point. Did you knowingly buy a house with unsafe drinking water? I cant imagine the hardship you have owning a home with water you cannot drink. ******** they make movies about this stuff.

Sure, whatever you say. How can you be sure I even own a house, living on the Front Range of Colorado as I do?

Good grief.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We don't really drink a lot....of water.... while camping..... Um... Cheers!

GreenIncomparableBlackpanther-size_restricted.gif

We do use our house water for doing dishes and brushing teeth though. As others have said, we treat the tanks every year and put water conditioner in it every time we fill it prior to heading out. (We fill it at home prior to heading out with our garden hose)

Say what you will, hose water is the best. Ask any kid born before 1990.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
This ⬆️, but the real issue is Giardia. Ask any backpacker. ANY wild water in the US, with maybe the exception of snow/glacial water very close to the melt source is a very likely source. Most animals can carry it, and especially cattle. It doesn’t just give you the trots for a few days. Giardia are parasitic cysts that take some agressive treatment. They can cause repeat issues and it takes awhile after exposure to manifest symptoms and its often misdiagnosed. They are easy to filter out.

Not true at all. The vast majority of wild, moving water is likely safe in the USA. A study from a few years back tested hundreds of streams in the Sierra. They found crypto or giardia in very few of them, mostly down towards the foothills near agriculture impacts. That doesn't mean don't treat. I've had giardia when I was a boyscout. It is NOT FUN. Also keep an eye on the source if it's downstream from mining impacts. Huge issue in Montana and Colorado. I almost always drink wild water up high. Biggest issue in the wild is personal hygiene. Way more likely to get ill from dirty human stuff. Filtration is smart. Low likelihood of illness but said illness can create a survival situation.

dbhost

dbhost spot on, whether the rv is new or used, set a baseline , drain and flush fresh water, water heater, black and gray tank..why not start fresh. Takes all the guess work out..
Have fun ?

Heck, I do the same thing even with the Aquatainers... Make sure they are sanitized at least once a year, and then use em, frequently...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles