Does Anyone Actually Use Their House Water for Drinking?

Nailhead

I think I remember we did use the camper water for drinking when I was a little kid, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that since.

It would be useful if I could use that water for drinking because then I wouldn't have to carry a 5-gal jug in the gas can rack.

I figure if I circulated a bleach solution through the tank & plumbing then rinsed it out, it would probably be safe to drink, for a while at least.

What do you think?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
All the time and for years and in two campers.

We bleach at the start of the season and run all water though a big 3M filter.

We only take water from reasonable sources, e.g., our own house and, usually, commercial campgrounds.

Never been sick on the road.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Disinfect your system twice per instructions including draining your water heater and refill with house water through an inline filter on the hose. That same filter and a white colored human consumption hose for the road should yield clean,safe water

Trail Talk

We superchlorinate by adding a small measure of bleach each time we refill our water tank from a chlorinated source.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Yes. Just fill from a known clean source, clean the systems annually and completely drain at the end of the season and you’ll never have a problem.

billiebob

Municipal water is almost all I drink, or water from a stream. I NEVER buy bottled water. There are places in BC with road side pull outs to fill water tanks from streams and water falls.

I empty the tank every trip.

How we do it in BC

DSC_0244.jpg

Last edited:

billiebob

While I might not refill in Flint, I'd hesitate to refill near Fort McMurray..... I'll refill and drink from the lake I live on any day.

I trust this water way more than anything in a bottle.

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

While I might not refill in Flint, I'd hesitate to refill near Fort McMurray..... I'll refill and drink from the lake I live on any day.

I trust this water way more than anything in a bottle.

I always heard that drinking surface water without some sort of treatment was not a good idea. I'm I wrong about that?

billiebob

Yes. Just fill from a known clean source, clean the systems annually and completely drain at the end of the season and you’ll never have a problem.
yep, I pretend every trip is the end of the season. I start every trip flushed and dry even if I think I'm of somewhere next week... Think of it like laundry. I never know which trip is the last one

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Is this a new thing? Is there truly danger lurking in our empty water tanks? ? I’d think our heavily chlorinated municipal water would kill any bad stuff.

Other than draining water tanks for wintering, we’ve never, ever sterilized our water tanks…nor did my wife’s dad ever do that with his 10’ FSC truck camper, nor did my folks ever do that with the H2O system in any of our camp trailers. And I’m talking about 60+ years of camping in these various rigs.

I’m not criticizing anyone, just wondering if this is really a thing to be concerned about today for some reason. Just sayin…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94