Does anybody here do rockclimbing?

melotaco

Observer
I want to get into rock climbing :REAdvRockClimber: , but have no clue where to start. Should I start at a indoor gym? What kind of equipment will I need?

Scott Brady

Founder
Me :)

Rock Climbing
Mountaineering
High Points (highest points in US and Mexico states)

1-30-04%20039_jpg.jpg

melotaco

Observer
That is a great picture! How did you start rock climbing? Should I start out by taking a class? Any suggestions.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
An indoor gym is a perfect place to start. I never liked them because for me rock climbing is about being outdoors, but a gym offers a very controlled environment where you can practice technique under relaxed supervision. All you need to start is a pair of climbing shoes, and you can rent those.

For outdoor climbing, bouldering is a fun introduction. You never get so high that you can't jump off, but you're using the same techniques you would be if you were 200 feet off the ground. Again, all you need is a pair of shoes and someone to show you the, uh, ropes.

I virtually gave up climbing after my partner moved back east. We had the same philosophy - we never did named or rated climbs; we'd just head into an area that had lots of verticals and rope up. "Hey, let's see if we can get up that!" was our strategy. Comparisons with friends on named climbs showed we were rarely doing anything more difficult than 5.10, but we had a blast.

It's a wonderful sport that combines physical strength with dexterity and strategy. And, whatever gene it is, there are few feelings cooler than standing on top of a vertical cliff you just scaled.

melotaco

Observer
Jonathan Hanson said:
An indoor gym is a perfect place to start. I never liked them because for me rock climbing is about being outdoors, but a gym offers a very controlled environment where you can practice technique under relaxed supervision. All you need to start is a pair of climbing shoes, and you can rent those.

For outdoor climbing, bouldering is a fun introduction. You never get so high that you can't jump off, but you're using the same techniques you would be if you were 200 feet off the ground. Again, all you need is a pair of shoes and someone to show you the, uh, ropes.

I virtually gave up climbing after my partner moved back east. We had the same philosophy - we never did named or rated climbs; we'd just head into an area that had lots of verticals and rope up. "Hey, let's see if we can get up that!" was our strategy. Comparisons with friends on named climbs showed we were rarely doing anything more difficult than 5.10, but we had a blast.

It's a wonderful sport that combines physical strength with dexterity and strategy. And, whatever gene it is, there are few feelings cooler than standing on top of a vertical cliff you just scaled.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will first sign up at an indoor gym to get my body used to climbing. Also here in Oregon the weather is pretty crappy so rock climbing on wet rocks might not be the best thing.
You are right about rock climbing being a "wonderful sport" I did some climbing at a REI store (if you can call that rock climbing) and now I'm hooked. Hopefully I will see you guys on the rocks! :)

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Good point: southern Arizona is blessed with about 360 days per year of perfect outdoor climbing weather, if you just pick your time. Getting on an east-facing pitch just as the sun hits it is sublime.

A tip that might help you get better faster: Whenever I taught new climbers I found that women picked it up faster than men because they paid attention to finesse and technique, rather than simply trying to Tarzan their way up the face. It's about using as little energy as possible.

I didn't mean to put down gyms. They really are a perfect place to learn. But someday you'll want the experience of having a canyon wren pop out of a crack to inspect you from a couple feet away when you're halfway up a difficult pitch.

melotaco

Observer
Jonathan Hanson said:
Good point: southern Arizona is blessed with about 360 days per year of perfect outdoor climbing weather, if you just pick your time. Getting on an east-facing pitch just as the sun hits it is sublime.

A tip that might help you get better faster: Whenever I taught new climbers I found that women picked it up faster than men because they paid attention to finesse and technique, rather than simply trying to Tarzan their way up the face. It's about using as little energy as possible.

I didn't mean to put down gyms. They really are a perfect place to learn. But someday you'll want the experience of having a canyon wren pop out of a crack to inspect you from a couple feet away when you're halfway up a difficult pitch.

I definitley want to get outside to climb and will when I get some :sunny: and experience. Climbing with women, hmmm I think I could handle that. I went to the gym yesterday and felt like tarzan just trying to force my way up the wall, let say I was not at the wall very long. I need to learn some finesse and technique for sure so I will go to a bookstore to read up on it :coffee: . I have been on rockclimbing.com reading the forums and checking the pictures seeing people do some amazing climbs.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
The male/female thing is even more apparent when teaching eskimo rolling. Women sometimes complete a roll five minutes into their first session; men thrash and flail for hours before settling down and listening to how to do it.

Scott Brady

Founder
Smith Rock, near Bend is insane! Eastern Oregon has some world class rock.

I have never climbed in a gym, but would recommend it to gain strength and technique.

I have about routes within view of my house, from bouldering to two pitches... :REAdvRockClimber:

melotaco

Observer
Jonathan Hanson said:
The male/female thing is even more apparent when teaching eskimo rolling. Women sometimes complete a roll five minutes into their first session; men thrash and flail for hours before settling down and listening to how to do it.

Hmmm going to have to google eskimo role.

melotaco

Observer
expeditionswest said:
Smith Rock, near Bend is insane! Eastern Oregon has some world class rock.

I have never climbed in a gym, but would recommend it to gain strength and technique.

I have about routes within view of my house, from bouldering to two pitches... :REAdvRockClimber:

I will have check those places out. When I go to Bend or Eastern Oregon I usually do some dual sport riding and don't think about anything else except twisting the throttle open.

great thread...i'm really digging this forum section.

i learned during the winter in a gym, then took it outside when the weather was better. gyms are a great place to learn, but they'll never beat the real thing.

it's cheap to get started. grab a punch card at a local gym, borrow a harness from a buddy, rent shoes, or rent everything...wrangle a buddy so you can get some altitude without having to bug everyone else in the gym for a belay, and make sure you stretch everything before and after. like anything else, ya really gotta go a good half dozen times before you'll know if you like it or not.

it's a lot of fun to just put on the shoes and join everyone working the low altitude problems at the gym, great for practicing technique, building strength, and trying new moves without the work or risk of having to climb 20' to get there.

I got my shoes really cheap...thirty bucks I think...for shoes that are good enough but were discontinued so they were on sale. Don't skimp on the harness...find something comfortable that fits perfect, has some adjustability and pay what you have to in order to get it...you'll thank yourself ten years later when you're still using the same trusty harness. Eventually I got a chalk bag, but I climbed all through high school and college without it...it helps, but it's messy and it's a must to learn without it.

The best part is, once you've learned how and have invested in a pair of shoes, you can toss them in the bag and boulder anywhere you go. I'm planning on taking them to Canyonlands this spring to mess around in camp...total investment, thirty bucks :D.

-Sean

melotaco

Observer
devinsixtyseven said:
great thread...i'm really digging this forum section.

i learned during the winter in a gym, then took it outside when the weather was better. gyms are a great place to learn, but they'll never beat the real thing.

it's cheap to get started. grab a punch card at a local gym, borrow a harness from a buddy, rent shoes, or rent everything...wrangle a buddy so you can get some altitude without having to bug everyone else in the gym for a belay, and make sure you stretch everything before and after. like anything else, ya really gotta go a good half dozen times before you'll know if you like it or not.

it's a lot of fun to just put on the shoes and join everyone working the low altitude problems at the gym, great for practicing technique, building strength, and trying new moves without the work or risk of having to climb 20' to get there.

I got my shoes really cheap...thirty bucks I think...for shoes that are good enough but were discontinued so they were on sale. Don't skimp on the harness...find something comfortable that fits perfect, has some adjustability and pay what you have to in order to get it...you'll thank yourself ten years later when you're still using the same trusty harness. Eventually I got a chalk bag, but I climbed all through high school and college without it...it helps, but it's messy and it's a must to learn without it.

The best part is, once you've learned how and have invested in a pair of shoes, you can toss them in the bag and boulder anywhere you go. I'm planning on taking them to Canyonlands this spring to mess around in camp...total investment, thirty bucks :D.

-Sean

Sean thanks for the advice. I have not yet looked at equipment for rock climbing since I have renting it, but once spring rolls in I will look for a good harness and some shoes. I have only gone a few times to the gym and so far and it is great. Once the holidays are over I will be trying to get in the gym more often. Thanks for the replies guys.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I've wanted to get into climbing since I was a kid but it wasn't untill a couple of years ago I really started doing it. We have some great local climbing here plus in the complex that my office is located is a great indoor wall. I haven't really enjoyed it much indoors personally and just do it outdoors when the weather is nice here in the spring, summer, and fall or when I'm travelling. For the most part I just boulder as it is simple, just my chalk bag and my shoes and I'm good to go. I've summitted alot of peaks over the years, nothing very technical, mostly hiking with some scrambling here and there in the summer months along with some minor alpine stuff, mostly with skis for the purpose of getting some turns in off piste. I read alot of books on alpineering and ice climbing, just haven't done much technical stuff.

I think all aspects of it are great and make for a lifelong adventure. I'm looking forward to meeting up with some of you guys/gals in the future and learning even more.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
melotaco said:
Hmmm going to have to google eskimo role.

Eskimo roll is a term in kayaking for when you right yourself using a certain paddle, body, hip motion without getting out of the boat. There's some different twists to it (western roll, C to C, etc) but in general it is referring to getting right side up!:snorkel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke