Does a Good Knife have to = Expensive?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I was just wondering if all good camping knives have to be expensive. I'm a craftsman so I've always made my own, mainly because I enjoy, but also because it seems like the best out there are always way out of my price range or too expensive for me to want to even use. They'll have so called "exotic steels" or unique damascus steel patterns that, while beautiful, tend to send the price skyrocketing because of it, making it more a piece of art than a knife. So I've always made mine out of scrap steel I had lying around, and they've always turned out pretty good. I use a combination of hot forging and metal removal for those who are wondering.

But now I'm unable to make my own, due to my current living conditions, so I'm wondering if there are any good knives on the market that are functional, durable and affordable. I would also like your own reviews on any knives you'd recommend. Any plusses or minuses. I'm also open to seeing any home shop knives you've made, how you made them and why you like them over buying one from a store or catalog. I'd also like to know what your costs were to make them as a price comparison to store knives. My own knives cost between $20 and $40 to make, with most of the cost being fuel. Everything else was scrounged from what I had handy or available.

My own are getting old and I may need to pick up a replacement or two for some of them. Plus Christmas is coming up and I've got a number of hunters in my family.

redneck44

Adventurer
Have you looked at Mora knives, not sure if you can get them on your side of the pond.
They are inexpensive but will outdo many "high-end" knives, swedish steel etc. on a bushcraft forum I used to frequent, many people started out with Moras, then got more expensive knives only to go back to the Mora.
Opinel make some nice folding knives too.

I use a Helle Vaarg quite regularly, which is a mid range, but I bought as a treat to myself, because of the burl handle.
I also have Fjallkniven F1 for end of the world events, good solid knife but getting up in price.
My EDC is a little Victoinox hanging on my keyring that gets used more than any of them.

mike the welder

Adventurer
I don't know much about knives, but I am really hard on them. I use a K-bar I got from the Army 25 years ago and even use a rawhide mallet on to split ribs on large game. It will take a beating. I also use a Smith and Wesson knife I got off of Amazon and a game trimming set I bought at Cabelas. Less than $300 for the bunch and they do just fine for me.

One thing that help was when I finally learned how to sharpen them.

krl81

Adventurer
As Redneck44 said above, Mora knives are nice and fairly cheap. I don't know the prices in US but here in Sweden you can get a Mora 2000 for about 20-25 USD. I bought one a couple of yers ago and I'm really pleased with it, nice to work with, comfortable grip, easy to sharpen when needed. Only negative thing is that there is almost no protection from "slipping" from the grip onto the blade.

AndrewP

Explorer
Mora knives would be perfect for your uses-the "Companion" is about $10 and the perfect camp knife. It sounds like you are used to carbon steel and Mora uses a nice fine grained carbon steel. They also make a stainless "inox" version. Each of my cars has a Mora in the glove box.

Ontario "Old Hickory" knives are good too-usually $10 or so, decent carbon steel, but will need to be sharpened as the factory sharpening is an afterthought. These are so cheap and basically so good, that they get modified (by others, not me) into all kinds of knives. Unbeatable camp kitchen knives in my opinion. I have a paring knife, a boning knife and a slicer in my camp kit. I wish they made a Chef's knife. For $25 you can have everything you need to make dinner like a pro.

Different but great camp knives-Opinel. The Opinel No 8 (my fav) has an 8 cm blade with choice of Carbon steel, or Inox (Inoxidizable=euro speak for stainless). The No 8 or No 10 are about the most useful sizes and in the Carbon version $10-$15. Truly a steal (ha-pun alert) at that price. You can get the No 10 with an attached corkscrew for a bit more $$. It makes a great "glove box" knife.

A group of knives I'd like to try are the Dexter "Green River" line of carbon steel knives. Inexpensive, USA made look decent for small $$. Never used so can't specifically recommend.

Last bit of advice-if you want a folding knife a bit up the $$ scale, Benchmade Mini Griptillion is relatively inexpensive ($70), perfect all around size, and will last you the rest of your life. Doesn't qualify as a cheap knife though. Just a good functional one.

Avoid any and all Chinese stainless steel. It is total crap-so soft it won't take any edge at all. There is a reason you can buy an 8in Chef's knife at Target for $8. Also avoid celebrity endorsed knives, anything "tactical" or anything with skulls, dragon tails etc.

The best advice I have is to learn to sharpen your knives well. Spend your real $$ there. After years of dull knives and crappy sharpening methods, I got an Edge Pro about 3 years ago and who knew! With a good edge, a cheap carbon steel knife can cut up your steak far better than the finest German cutlery from Solingen.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
So whats wrong with a good old slimline lockback buck?

Ive had one in my front left pocket since I was 8 years old!

Simple, rugged, made in the USA, feels great with the wood grain, and holds an edge well.

The 505 Knight Ive been running for the past 10 years or so uses 420HC stainless for the blade.

Hard to ask more!

BU246.jpg

RubiChris

Observer
I've used Mora knives for years and agree they are a high quality knife for a great price. I've purchased Mora (and some of the other higher end Scandi knives) from this vendor and have had nothing but good experiences: https://www.ragweedforge.com/

I buy Old Hickory knives whenever I see them at garage sales. Decent carbon steel, very reasonably priced and a variety of sizes and styles.

I used Russell Green River knives years ago when working at a historic site. Good, basic US made knife with good high carbon steel blades. Many "old style" knife designs for skinning, etc. (They even make spear heads that were originally Indian trade goods).

Custom knives with exotic materials are neat (and I have a few) but for a good basic, quality knife that you won't cry if you lose it, etc....the Scandi knives (Mora, etc) are hard to beat.

AndrewP

Explorer
So whats wrong with a good old slimline lockback buck?

Good knife. Buck knives were better when they used 440c which is harder, tougher, and takes a better edge. Still, a well made knife. The 420HC's advantage is that's it's cheaper and even more resistant to corrosion. Buck makes up for it with good geometry of the edge-the blade looks hollow ground which is generally easier to sharpen to a fine edge.

Stepping up to say a Benchmade typically gets you a better blade, but for more money. That Buck with say 154CM would be a great knife, but it wouldn't be $30 anymore. The OP sounded like he was on a tight budget-so a good knife on a small budget, is generally going to mean high carbon steel.

Everything is a compromise.

Seriously, the best $$ to spend on knives is to spend it on an excellent means of sharpening. All knives get dull, especially camp knives.

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Sharpening is actually one area I don't need help on. My grandpa taught me how to sharpen knives free hand on a simple fine grain stone. I've been doing is so long, that I don't use any of the sharpening systems out there. Granted, its a skills developed over many years, lifetime really, but its not something I worry about.

I know the old "Old Hickory" knives are good, but what about currently produced versions? I'm asking because I ran across a set the other day at a mom and pop hardware store I recently discovered. (I love mom & pop stores for things like this.) I'd heard they'd gone down in quality somewhat, but I've never used them myself, so I can't be sure.

AndrewP

Explorer
I know the old "Old Hickory" knives are good, but what about currently produced versions? I'm asking because I ran across a set the other day at a mom and pop hardware store I recently discovered. (I love mom & pop stores for things like this.) I'd heard they'd gone down in quality somewhat, but I've never used them myself, so I can't be sure.

Like I said, the factory edge is kind of a joke, but for $10 you get a decent chunk of Made in the USA 1095 High carbon steel. I only have 1 older one, but the quality of the blade once sharpened up seems the same. No way to tell about the heat treat and all of that, but to me it seems fine. Just remember that they can rust if not taken care of. This is normal and expected. Dry them off and oil occasionally and they should last for many years. They do discolor in use - that is also normal.

Are you looking for a folder or a fixed blade?

Fixed I keep a USMC issue Kabar in the jeep at all times.

EDC I rotate quite a few different knives. Spyderco paramilitary 2, benchmade barrage tanto tip, ontario rat 2...all 3 get quite a bit of use. Favorite is the paramilitary for the blade profile and it's steel is superior. But the best/smoothest action is my barrage and I carry them both equally.

AndrewP

Explorer
No doubt a Kabar is a great, time tested fighting knife. Not so great to make dinner with. I have one I bought when I was in high school. It's a solid large chunk of immortal 1095 steel with a blood groove and spear point. Perfect for a Marine hitting the beach at Iwo Jima. There might be better choices for making dinner on your average car camping trip today. Seriously, try and slice up carrots with your Kabar. Not easy no matter how sharp it is. The reason is, the blade is way too thick for ordinary chores. The edge of your spatula will do better, even unsharpened.

To me, the idea of a "bushcraft" knife is a joke. The number of trees, branches, etc I've cut down with my pocket knife is zero. I've cut plenty of light lines, monofilament, onions and carrots. If you want to chop up saplings for firewood, get a hatchet. It's better in every respect than even a large and robust knife like a Kabar.

With that said, every American should own a Kabar. It's a piece of living history, a great conversation piece, and just all around cool. It just isn't a practical camp/kitchen/hunting knife. There are much better choices.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz