Does a backup battery/compressor/12v rechargable product exist?

ADDvanced

Hi, I am debating about installing a house battery with solenoid operated battery isolator in my truck. I can do it, but I am concerned about the cables going from the engine compartment to my bed area, and drilling holes in a rust free bed. I have seen a LOT of 'jump start battery pack' products that have a built in compressor, USB ports, even AC plugs, and yeah, that's all well and good, but do any of these products have the ability to recharge from a 12V source?

It seems like everyone I have seen so far can ONLY be recharged from AC, which really limits their application. If it was a 12v rechargable system, I could potentially just run some cables inside the cab and throw it into the backseat. It would be constantly charged whenever I drove anywhere, and then I could use it at night to power things while camping.

Does this exist?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Such a thing may exist, in that companies will build many things to fill a niche, but the problem is whether such a thing will fit your needs. The "all-in-one" packs tend to be cheaply made, and I worry that any such thing will not charge efficiently from a normal automotive 12v supply. (The main problem being that most people don't drive for enough hours for the battery to go through a proper 3- or 4-stage charge curve including the necessary "soak" time.) Beyond that, the batteries are usually small (for portability), and the wiring is often substandard for reliable jump-starting.

However, if you're looking for something like that but actually quality, then National Luna and Goal Zero both make portable power packs, and both can be recharged via 12v. The level of "portability" varies with the weight of the battery inside the pack (the NL ones are pretty heavy, but can run fridges, etc.). If I wanted to avoid drilling, that's probably the way I'd go. Skip the cheap built-in compressor and get a quality portable with battery clips from Viair, ARB, etc. (or at least the venerable MV-50 which is inexpensive and has proven to be surprisingly "good for the price".)

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I agree with Herbie on this one. Running any decent compressor off a portable battery pack is going to blow thru batteries in a hurry. Probably better to get a decent pack that you can charge in the cab, plus a smallish 12V compressor. I just ordered my second Viair 88P compressor, this one to carry as a backup for my OBA in the main truck. It's fine for 33" tires and will do 35s or 37s in a pinch if the big compressor goes down in the boonies, light weight and doesn't take too much space. I have been carrying a Viair 300P as backup (because I already had it) but I'm trying to lighten my load.

If you decide to install a solenoid isolator and second battery, consider mounting the battery under the cab on the frame. Eliminates drilling sheet metal, shortens cable runs, saves bed space.

dreadlocks

you can recharge a jumpstarter battery with the vehicle, just leave jumper cables hooked up while the engine is running.. electrons flow in both directions.

john61ct

Adventurer
Those cheapie all in one jumpstarter units usually have a regular low AH lead batt or two inside.

Recharge however you like.

The compressors included do not last many uses.

If you really need a 12V compressor, buy a good one. Run the engine while you use it.

If you want a backup jumpstarter get a little lithium one slides into a coat pocket.

If you use it to recharge your screen gadgets, get two and rotate so you always have one full.

dreadlocks

I never had a lithium one, Recently I only ever needed a jump starter for getting a diesel going on a cold morning when the battery was a bit aged.. the Lithium jump starters dont work when you leave em in the back seat of your car and its 0F or colder outside when I needed a bit of a boost.

every one of the lead acid/agm jumpers Ive had over the last few decades charged fine off the alternator after getting the vehicle going.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Lithium jump starters dont work when you leave em in the back seat of your car and its 0F or colder outside when I needed a bit of a boost.

Warm the jump pack in your pocket before using. Leave it attached to the truck battery for a couple of minutes before starting. If the diesel has two batteries, use two jump packs?

john61ct

Adventurer
Some LI jumpstarters are sized specifically to handle big diesel engines.

They should output just fine at 0°C or even a bit colder, but yes will output higher amps when warm, in your inside pocket's a good idea.

Definitely don't **charge** them when they're very cold, instant death.

Clintnz

Observer
I've got a cheap combo 18Ah sealed lead acid battery power/ jump pack with a compressor. I would not trust the compressor for regular use, but the 12V sockets, 400W inverter & USB outlets all work fine & the whole mess didn't cost any more than buying just the battery & inverter separately. It does have a 12V cig charging adapter, but according to the instructions it takes 12hrs or something for a full charge so I've never tried, the skinny wires probably wouldn't deliver much. I'd imagine wiring a heavy feed direct into the battery via an appropriate connector would not be difficult.

You could also just build a carry box for an appropriate battery that you can easily secure in the cab, then connect it to your battery isolator circuit with an Anderson plug.

Cheers
Clint

rayra

Expedition Leader
Seems like a very expensive way to avoid drilling a couple holes and using some proper sealant and bulkhead fittings.

powermodule120.jpg
powermodule160.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Hi, I am debating about installing a house battery with solenoid operated battery isolator in my truck. I can do it, but I am concerned about the cables going from the engine compartment to my bed area, and drilling holes in a rust free bed. I have seen a LOT of 'jump start battery pack' products that have a built in compressor, USB ports, even AC plugs, and yeah, that's all well and good, but do any of these products have the ability to recharge from a 12V source?

It seems like everyone I have seen so far can ONLY be recharged from AC, which really limits their application. If it was a 12v rechargable system, I could potentially just run some cables inside the cab and throw it into the backseat. It would be constantly charged whenever I drove anywhere, and then I could use it at night to power things while camping.

Does this exist?

I believe the ARK-Pak can be recharged from a 12v source but you'd have to check. They start around $300 and that does NOT include the battery, which you have to supply.

Having said that...

Seems like a very expensive way to avoid drilling a couple holes and using some proper sealant and bulkhead fittings.

I have to agree with Rayra here. How much power do you need to run back to the cab or bed? Most of the electrical accessories you would likely be using can easily be attached to a 10g or smaller wire (like a simple 12v outlet.) A 10g wire will fit through a 1/4" hole - easy to drill and easy to seal up with a nice grommet or some other kind of sealant.

On my Suburban I just ran a 12g wire through the firewall and into the passenger compartment, then under the door sill plates to the back of the truck where I put a dual 12v outlet (one for the fridge, one with a 2 x USB port for charging phones.) Simple and easy.

The only reason I could think that you might want to run a heavy gauge (1AWG or 2AWG) cable from the front of the truck to the back would be if your 2nd battery would be in the bed of the truck - is that the plan? I thought you were going to put both batteries under the hood? From your photos it looks like there's plenty of space under the hood for batteries. I'm no "expert" on electrical stuff but it seems to me that when you are running 2 big batteries, the closer those batteries are the better, as there is going to be a LOT of current flowing between them.

WRT the compressor, that's an even easier solution: Just get a decent budget priced compressor like the MV-50 and make sure the air hose is long enough to reach all the tires. Hook the compressor directly to the battery when using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles