Does a 230 mile/charge range make you more or less likely to buy a Lighning?

ChasingOurTrunks

ha! Good luck. Makes total sense but hows that working out for anyone with a "universal" cell phone battery or laptop battery?!

FrenchieXJ was on the right track, just 10 years behind Tokyo! Perhaps someone with more recent evidence can let us know how this is working out today, but Tokyo had a fleet of taxis with swappable batteries as the article above demonstrates.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I think we do live in the same place but you raise an interesting point. This is more anecdotal on my part, but I am still shocked when I roll up to a big box store and see a Supercharger out front. I quick check of Google Maps shows about 20-30 chargers in our city but of course whether that's "a lot" or not depends on how many electric cars there are. In my neighborhood, I've never seen an EV, but on the south side I do see Teslas more often. And, Petro Canada now has their "Electric Superhighway", so you can charge up an EV pretty much all along the trans Canada highway. Again, whether this is enough or not depends on how many EVs we have (I did note a shocking number of Teslas on my cross-country trip last summer taking advantage of this charging system). It'd be interesting to see what that actual experience is like (i.e. how many people have to wait, for how long, and how often), and how that metric changes over time as infrastructure grows.
Yes, I'm in the southwest end. I see various models of Teslas, Taycans, a few Hyundai Konas.

I think I saw a Mercedes EQS a few weeks ago. I didn't even realize they were on sale yet.

I was more surprised to see a yellow G-wagon 4x4 squared in the same parking lot right after. Can't be too many of those around?

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
To answer the OP's original question: Less

I need two things:
  1. at least 300 mile range at 0ºF,
  2. at least 80 mile range at -40ºF.
Lacking the first would severely limit my cold weather trips/enjoyment/escape.
The second is a must have, not negotiable.

I only have one vehicle so it needs to do all things.

I think EVs will be practical for urban areas, commuters, and fleet delivery vehicles in urban areas. I live in Kansas and it is safe to say roughly 2/3s+ of the state is rural and the economy is Agricultural based. So, I don’t see EVs as really practical for the lifestyle of that 2/3s. A trip to town for parts, may push an EV vehicles range limits. I suspect that most Farmers and Ranchers will forgo EVs and stick with their ICE vehicles for the foreseeable future. In the large city where I live, there are only 2 (that I know of) EV public charging stations compared with Kansas City which has quite a few. My son in law has a Tesla which he drives down here from KC. In order to go back to KC, he has to hit one of the charging stations for 20-30 minutes before the return trip home. Kinda inconvenient in my opinion. I think EV ownership will reach a certain level and after that sales will basically plateau with ICE vehicle owners electing not to change.

grizzlypath

While the EPA mileage range numbers for the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning have not yet been posted up on the EPA website, some observers have posted shots of window stickers on an F-150 forum showing Ford estimated ranges.

Here are those numbers below:
Standard range battery:
Pro: 230 miles

Extended range battery:
Pro: 320 miles
Lariat: 320 miles
Platinum: 300 miles

For more info, including efficiency ratings, check out this article:

As an adventure vehicle that range wouldn't work for me. As many already know those values are in optimal conditions and the range can decrease significantly (e.g. headwind, altitude, road grade, etc.).

As a daily driver it would be totally fine for my family's needs. For around town towing it would be totally fine as well. Even for some of the easier weekend camp-trips if I had to tow something but wasn't planning on any off-grid trails.

This quick comment of course ignores vehicle cost.

jkam

nomadic man
What is going to happen once Lithium gets a lot more expensive and harder to come by?
That is right around the corner.

Lat mile delivery is a perfect application for EV's. At least that would give us some idea about how well they might perform
in that environment. With Amazon distribution centers all over the place, that would be a good test case.
40 to 50 mile route, going back to base every day to be recharged, I can see that working out OK.

plh

Explorer
What is going to happen once Lithium gets a lot more expensive and harder to come by?

Cost of Gasoline is also going up a lot as well.

Lat mile delivery is a perfect application for EV's. At least that would give us some idea about how well they might perform
in that environment. With Amazon distribution centers all over the place, that would be a good test case.
40 to 50 mile route, going back to base every day to be recharged, I can see that working out OK.

This is coming. GM BrightDrop ie: EV600

My wife's Outlander PHEV works great for her daily commuter. 15 miles 1 way and charger at the office (as well as at home). Summer she can do the whole RT commute without the office recharge. Not in winter.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
As an adventure vehicle that range wouldn't work for me. As many already know those values are in optimal conditions and the range can decrease significantly (e.g. headwind, altitude, road grade, etc.).

As a daily driver it would be totally fine for my family's needs. For around town towing it would be totally fine as well. Even for some of the easier weekend camp-trips if I had to tow something but wasn't planning on any off-grid trails.

See, that’s the problem I have with
getting an EV. Yeah it’d be great for DD around town, but would suck for the long road trips we take and also for our backcountry camping adventures.

We literally would need three different vehicles, maybe even four to meet our driving and travel needs, and we’re trying to go in the opposite direction of that.

Last edited:

ITTOG

Imagine the substation they would need to charge all those trucks.

But you do have it right in terms of the target market. It isn't the consumer. Last mile deliveries, public transportation, school buses, beverage distribution, étc.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

ITTOG

Cost of Gasoline is also going up a lot as well.

This is coming. GM BrightDrop ie: EV600

My wife's Outlander PHEV works great for her daily commuter. 15 miles 1 way and charger at the office (as well as at home). Summer she can do the whole RT commute without the office recharge. Not in winter.
Wow, I hadn't thought about cold weather impact. That sounds like a significant drop in distance.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior