Does a 12 x 15 tent Need a Camping AC?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I think it is a great idea.

View attachment 533032

I’m kinda slow sometimes so I’m still trying to figure out if this idea is genius or sad.
Maybe because I didn’t come up with it first?

But as far as keeping the better half happy, no arguments here.
And since they say ”cooler heads prevail,” with so many campgrounds charging you now for electricity at your site, whether you use it or not, well heck, if you have the room for the extra gear, why not bring and use an A/C. So there, I’ve decided...it is genius!

Last edited:

another_mike

Adventurer
Use trees for shade. If you need A/C, it is time to find a different spot where there is more shade and/or find a campsite at a higher elevation.
Because shade is going to help you sleep at night... find higher elevation?not everyone can make a simple weekend trip into few days. OP and I are from the same area in Florida, we are at least 4 hours from the Georgia border alone, probably double that travel time to get to a spot you won’t be stuck to the walls of a tent from the humidity. I’m not familiar with mountains on the east coast, but is there anywhere high enough to escape this summer humidity?

D

Deleted member 9101

Cut a hole in the side of the tent, slide in a window unit A/C(on some kind of DIY stand) seal around it with duct tape, enjoy a good nights sleep. You can do it for about 100.00.

I have done it for ~20 years, camping in Florida, and it works great.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Unfortunately, as it gets hotter and hotter and hotter out here in the west, gaining altitude doesn’t always do the trick. Not that long ago, we were camping in the pines at about 9,600’ elevation outside of Crested Butte, CO....and it was miserably hot out in the open sun even there, with temperatures in the high 90’s. Shade did help somewhat though.

It seems more and more that, on these really hot days when you step out of the shade into the full sun, you feel like that ant broiling under a glass hand lens held in the sunbeams by an evil minded little kid.

So definitely, shade and a breeze is what you’re looking for anymore, if you don’t have power for a portable a/c unit. Hopefully, as the recognition and use of portable a/c units for camping increases, new, better products will soon come out to meet that need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior