Dodge Ram with 8 speed

jprovence

So it looks like best practice moving forward on these trucks is to just set the parking brake like you would on a manual truck.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Is it a simple thing of people not turning the dial, and not setting the parking brake? I know many people who drive automatics do not set the brake....kind of the opposite of manual trans drivers.

Kinda like the Toyota sticking throttle...turned out to be BS.

I think it's both. The guy in LA that got smashed supposedly didn't put it in park... but according to the lawyers that's FCA's fault.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think it's both. The guy in LA that got smashed supposedly didn't put it in park... but according to the lawyers that's FCA's fault.

Think that article said there were 43 incidents, not much considering the thousand upon thousands of vehicles that have been sold...sounds like driver error to me. But you know lawyers...if there is a drop of blood in the water, they come a circling...

...stuff like this, is why vehicles are getting more and more idiot proof.

Speaking of idiots, I have forgot a couple few times not to put the truck in gear, and set the parking brake..."oh sheot...oh sheot...oh sheot..." :D

Last edited:

RoyJ

Adventurer
Why? just about everyone I have ridden with an auto, have never seen them set the parking brake. Heck I get fussed at for doing by some "geez man, this is an auto you don't have to do that!"....maybe cause my main vehicle is a manual, always set the PB.

Would be curious of what the data is on people who set the brake or not. Since the shifter is now a dial, I can see people forgetting to turn it. Like blasting the radio on the way home...and forgetting to turn it down when you get back in....I have done that..."good lord! was i listening to it that loud!!?? no wonder I ma half deaf!" ;)

The not using parking brake issue seems like an exclusive North American bad habit... I remember reading about transmission failures on Sprinters, drivers simply leave it in Park, and then push in 2 pallets with a forklift. Otherwise the W5A580 is a very solid unit with very few failures in Europe.

I cringe at the thought of untrained drivers buying a big diesel pusher motorhome, and forgetting to set the air parking brakes!

TwinStick

Explorer
Many factors lead to "new stuff", some good, some, not so much.

The strict C.A.F.E. regulations is the big one. It makes the makers gear for mpg, instead of HD work, like trucks are supposed to be designed for.
Emissions is another. Stricter rules means more "new stuff".

I also love technology, up to a point.
Problems arise when someone changes something, not because it's better, but because they are basically saying "see what i did", as the new young guy to the table. I think we all love technology, but only when it makes something better. I think we are all sick and tired of change, just for the sake of change & change for idiots but not not to make something work better. I know i am.

I know i'm getting old when the dealer asks me to drive my truck into the service bay because they have no one who can drive a stick shift !!! 2008 Dodge Power Wagon w/G-56 manual & manual shift t-case.

Clutch

<---Pass
The not using parking brake issue seems like an exclusive North American bad habit... I remember reading about transmission failures on Sprinters, drivers simply leave it in Park, and then push in 2 pallets with a forklift. Otherwise the W5A580 is a very solid unit with very few failures in Europe.

Perhaps blame the disappearance of manual transmissions. It is going to be a hard habit to break for majority of Americans. Most likely require yet another idiot proof safety device, as there is a growing trend here of people not being held accountable for their own actions.

Many factors lead to "new stuff", some good, some, not so much.

The strict C.A.F.E. regulations is the big one. It makes the makers gear for mpg, instead of HD work, like trucks are supposed to be designed for.
Emissions is another. Stricter rules means more "new stuff".

I also love technology, up to a point.
Problems arise when someone changes something, not because it's better, but because they are basically saying "see what i did", as the new young guy to the table. I think we all love technology, but only when it makes something better. I think we are all sick and tired of change, just for the sake of change & change for idiots but not not to make something work better. I know i am.

I know i'm getting old when the dealer asks me to drive my truck into the service bay because they have no one who can drive a stick shift !!! 2008 Dodge Power Wagon w/G-56 manual & manual shift t-case.

Yeah, some of the technology is great...but on the other hand... getting a little tired of all the change...feels like they can't leave well enough alone at times.

Manual transmission has become a fantastic anti-theft device. :D ;)

jprovence

New trucks are more powerful and cleaner than ever though. They can do more work with less stress then your 10 year old truck easily even with CAFE regulation. Def and SCR don't affect the actual performance of the truck.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Is it a simple thing of people not turning the dial, and not setting the parking brake? I know many people who drive automatics do not set the brake....kind of the opposite of manual trans drivers.

Kinda like the Toyota sticking throttle...turned out to be BS.

Agreed.

Drive vehicles and operate the controls proficiently, every time, including the parking brake!

http://roadtraveler.net/the-forgotten-pedal/

The sloppy (American) habit of not using the parking brake does not miraculously correct itself when vehicles/drivers are loaded, on grades, trailering, or off-highway. Countless times I've observed overlanders not use a parking brake when it really should be, or apply it as an afterthought, after all the load is on the parking pawl.

Bad habits and sloppy techniques do not correct themselves when the going gets tough, they remain the same, or get worse if one is flustered. As with most things, people will perform as they have trained themselves. But driving is not taken seriously by many, so bad practices prevail.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles