Dodge Ram 5500 motorhome

Healeyjet

Explorer

Yes, I agree, the cruiser benefits from a lot of "cross bracing" inside due to the aluminum interior so the box has no risk of going out of square without it being in a major catastrophic accident.

Here are a couple videos of the Cruiser "offroad". Having been offroad a number of times in the Cruiser we have all the articulation we need. Our camper is far too large to be a rock crawler so we don't attempt that as we travel alone most of the time. The cruiser was designed and built so that we would be comfortable on any surface and we haven't ever avoided a surface due to any limitation other than size. We want to be able to get off the road and park by that creek or at the bottom of that mountain that those people in a Winnebago cant get to. so far so good.
Could we have used a subframe, sure I guess. Do we need one, not so far.
Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer

Here is a short video we took this fall leaving the same ditch in one of the videos above. This ditch is about 8' deep and quite steep. Sadly videos never show a true representation of the scene.
For us, the way we use the camper this is all the "flex" we need. The Cruiser feels well grounded to the truck and doesn't sway at all off-road.
Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer
We have just been out enjoying the Cruiser. We have put about 60,000 miles on it since we built it. Still love everything about it. Soon we will have to replace our house AGM batteries but they are still doing well enough to keep us charged for a day or two. Covid has kept us pretty close to home. We were in Southern California when we turned north to home in March of 2020. A quick trip to Vancouver Island in November of this year. Beautiful sights but near constant rain made it not too much fun. Planning to head south beginning of March after our grandchild is born and just received a summons to jury duty yesterday that I have to appear March 7. Someone wants to keep us close to home lol.
Ward

Healeyjet

Explorer
The one thing that has been bouncing around in my brain for a while is why has someone not figured out a way to use an EV charging station to charge our house batteries. Did I miss this somewhere?
We spend a lot of time in urban areas as well, Annie loves to fabric shop, and it sure would be nice to pull up to a charging station and top up our batteries. I approached Samlex America and they are not interested. Anyone else want to give it a try? I would volunteer to be the Guinea Pig!
Thoughts???
Ward

The one thing that has been bouncing around in my brain for a while is why has someone not figured out a way to use an EV charging station to charge our house batteries. Did I miss this somewhere?
We spend a lot of time in urban areas as well, Annie loves to fabric shop, and it sure would be nice to pull up to a charging station and top up our batteries. I approached Samlex America and they are not interested. Anyone else want to give it a try? I would volunteer to be the Guinea Pig!
Thoughts???
Ward

Quick look at this article seems to imply that it is technically possible. As stated Tesla brand superchargers won't work because they use software to recognize and confirm use by only Tesla brand vehicles. Standard EV charging stations should work though.

I'm not usually one to automatically assume something is "dangerous" just because a website told me and I would tend to follow that logic here. Considering RVs plug into and charge from 120v, and many EVs can also, I don't see how it would be "dangerous".

My concern would be the possibility of 240v connection, considering most EVs use 240v as their main charging method, whereas 120v is reserved for "slow charging" in cases where 240v outlet is not available.

Srpat

Observer
Why not just put Ina bigger cable between battery and alternator? You have dual alternators in that? My 6.7 diesel F550 has the dual alternator and charges the battery bank at 150 amps an hour through a 2/0 cable. No need for charging stations if you move around every 2 to 3 days. Just thinking of easier ideas than trying to hook up to an EV station.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Hello anyone still following this thread.
We are alive and well and still enjoying the Intercontinental Cruiser. 8 years of 4 months a year away from home. Around 110,000 miles. Still loving life and enjoying meeting friends along the way. Currently in TX eventually headed west. Hope to be at Overland Expo in AZ this year.

Attachments

• IMG_4408.jpeg
    IMG_4408.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Hello anyone still following this thread.
We are alive and well and still enjoying the Intercontinental Cruiser. 8 years of 4 months a year away from home. Around 110,000 miles. Still loving life and enjoying meeting friends along the way. Currently in TX eventually headed west. Hope to be at Overland Expo in AZ this year.
See you at Expo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles