Dodge Ram 50 Diesels Transplant

They will bolt right into a 4 cylinder 2 door Montero. I have a 1985 Mitsubishi turbo Diesel that is wonderful condition and it has solid axles, 13" lift, coilovers, and many more mods. It purrrrs like a kitten and gets over 40mpg with 33" tires. The 4d55 has plenty of power, and lots of torque. With proper gearing and a manual transmission it makes for a great ride.

roaming knome

Observer
28mpg at best is more believable however 40 is not unheard of. Either way is much better than my tired little and very heavy 3.0L V6 that gets 13-16mpg at best! I have a gen 1 LWB that I want to convert to diesel with as well, but with a 4M40 2.8L turbo diesel.

roaming knome

Observer
How would you rate the reliability of the 4d55? In the US the 4d55 seems to be a lot more common than the 4d56, but I keep hearing that the 4d56 is the way to go... although the cost is insane :Wow1:

I have a LWB and I think I would run into many more problems among these:

1. My 5spd manual mated to my 3.0 wouldn't work because of the bell housing.
2. Would have to source or fabricate some custom drive-shafts to work with a SWB transmission/transfer case and my 3.0 diffs. AFAIK the SWB 5-speeds that AREN'T 3.0 have smaller driveshafts/flanges so there would definitely have to be some custom work there from what I know.
3. Deal with engine mounts as I don't think the 3.0 mounts are the same as the 4cyl gas/diesel.

Man, after going through all that my 3.0 sounds kinda nice. Although I lust after diesels and live in despair that the US doesn't have a better selection. :(

If you want to convert like me, the 4cyl 4M40 uses the same motor mount location as the V6 3.0 and if you wanted to use a manual transmission you can use the V5MT1. It will handle the load of the diesel and will bolt right up to the 4M40 turbo diesel. You will need to do other mods like get a larger volume radiator and maybe relocate the air filter

roaming knome

Observer
What!??! Luckyyyy!!!!
I have been looking for a local, or somewhat local V5MT1!
You will have to find a JDM or other market motor. It will definitely have to be an import as the 4M40 was never intended to be or imported for the US market. They were available in Canada and South American countries as well. I have done the research and the best and cheapest way is to get an engine from Aus, UK, New Zealand, or Japan. The JDM importers may import 1 or 2 4M40 engine/trans combos here and there but are usually rare.
I found a supplier in New Zealand who would sell and ship brand new engines (in long block form) world wide for a reasonable price, but you be responsible for finding all the ancillary components but it might be worth it. Especially since you have the correct transmission.
I will see if I can find the link again and re-post it for you.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
How would you rate the reliability of the 4d55? In the US the 4d55 seems to be a lot more common than the 4d56, but I keep hearing that the 4d56 is the way to go... although the cost is insane :Wow1:

I have a LWB and I think I would run into many more problems among these:

1. My 5spd manual mated to my 3.0 wouldn't work because of the bell housing.
2. Would have to source or fabricate some custom drive-shafts to work with a SWB transmission/transfer case and my 3.0 diffs. AFAIK the SWB 5-speeds that AREN'T 3.0 have smaller driveshafts/flanges so there would definitely have to be some custom work there from what I know.
3. Deal with engine mounts as I don't think the 3.0 mounts are the same as the 4cyl gas/diesel.

Man, after going through all that my 3.0 sounds kinda nice. Although I lust after diesels and live in despair that the US doesn't have a better selection. :(

The 4D55 and 4D56 is one of the best selling 4cyl diesels in every country except North America. The 4D56 is still used today in Kia and Hyundai vehicles. It's very reliable when properly maintained. I've read of 300k being reached before rebuilds on many occasions. A new complete crate 4D56 can be bought for $3400, that isn't bad considering it comes with turbo, alternator, water pump, clutch ect.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I bought mine from a place in Canada, they had them in stock...

1068196536_WB2dY-M.jpg

1068196720_vtzNP-M.jpg

1068199087_5ZQ2v-M.jpg

1068199641_pRk9j-M.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Before your plans become too grand, you better verify CA smog restrictions especially relating to non stock motors.:ylsmoke:

roaming knome

Observer
Before your plans become too grand, you better verify CA smog restrictions especially relating to non stock motors.:ylsmoke:

Yes, I have been doing a lot of research lately on this subject as well. I huge part of me wants to just go ahead with the project, but at the same time that is a lot of time, money and effort for someone (the gub-mint) to tell me I can't have it and redo it all back to normal or worse, take it all away and destroy it.
I have been reading other conversion posts and especially in the Land Rover forums of people running into problems importing diesel cars/engines and also completing the conversion and then not being able to legally drive it due to these same problem.
There has to be a loophole some where, and I'm going to find it! A very small and narrow one but it must exist, it's America! This my mission in life right now :wings:

The 4d56 is a much more improved engine when compared to the 4d55. Mitsubishi upgraded to a wastegated water cooled turbo, a roller rocker head, better waterpump design, quick glow plug design, better head design for more efficient cooling, smaller injectors to prevent the head from cracking, large displacement for increased power etc etc. I have a buddy who has both the 4d55 and 4d56 and he gets better efficiency out of the 4d55 but the 4d56 is definitely more reliable. For the first 6 years I owned my truck I never got better than 27mpg, but the moment I rebuilt my injectors, upgraded to a 1983 injection pump, upgraded the intake and exhaust, deleted the egr valve and upgraded to 4d56 roller rocker head my milage went through the roof. I was hoping for 32-33mpg but I was shock to see 42mpg on several long trips. While the 4d55/56 is a great engine, it has a lot of room for improvement as far as efficiency is concerned.

Also at this time the only source for a new 4M40 engine is Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi has not sold the design to other manufactures like Hyundia at this time. If you buy a 4d56 crate engine like Jeff did, the motor was built and sold by Hyundia. Hyundia bought the 4d56 design rights a few years back and they now put the 4d56 in there Golloper SUV's that they sell all around the world. Also all the 4d56 heads you see on ebay are built by Hyundia. The Hyundia 4d56 parts seem to be very good quality from my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier