Dodge RAM 2500 cummins 5.9 stalling while driving

abulbeka

Hello.
I bougth a pretty RAM and while i drive first time with my family it stalled.
I catch the steering wheel strong and moved to the hard shoulder.
I surprise...and after pass first shock try to start and go normal. 1/2 mile away do the same...and after that i decide call to my insurance crane service.
Any ideas about?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Kingsize24

Need WAY more information than what is given to even try to make a guess at a diagnosis. It would be advisable to take it to a reputable mechanic if you do not know how to repair the issue yourself, instead of trying to diagnose issues over the internet with people hundreds or even a thousand miles away.

JMHO

abulbeka

Need WAY more information than what is given to even try to make a guess at a diagnosis. It would be advisable to take it to a reputable mechanic if you do not know how to repair the issue yourself, instead of trying to diagnose issues over the internet with people hundreds or even a thousand miles away.

JMHO

For sure...i will give my car to a mechanic that make all necessary, just want to make an approx how bit the problem could be

Halligan

Adventurer
What year truck? How many miles? Could be a lift pump going bad. The lift pump feeds fuel from the tank to the high pressure injection pump. Don't starve the injection pump for fuel or it could crap out and thats costly.

Es de seguro un problema con combustible. Puede ser el filtro o filtros, o la bomba antes que la bomba de alta pression. Si viviera en un lugar frio podria ser coagulacion del combustible.

abulbeka

Es de seguro un problema con combustible. Puede ser el filtro o filtros, o la bomba antes que la bomba de alta pression. Si viviera en un lugar frio podria ser coagulacion del combustible.

Gracias Charlie...todo apunta a eso.
Vivo en el sur de España, las temperaturas ahora mismo no bajan de 4º Celsius

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
What year truck? How many miles? Could be a lift pump going bad. The lift pump feeds fuel from the tank to the high pressure injection pump. Don't starve the injection pump for fuel or it could crap out and thats costly.

I was leaning towards the lift pump as well, especially with lower miles it likely sat a lot and took its toll. Luckily lift pumps are cheap and most are right on the frame making it easy to change.

ericvs

Change your fuel filter 1st thing. That is most likely the problem. There could be other issues, but my guess is you will need to change it. it is very easy to do, there are many youtube videos. Should take you about 5 minutes.

Change your fuel filter often (every or every other oil change).

chet6.7

Explorer
I agree with the fuel filter being a good place to start.I had a gas truck doing this back in the 70's,new FF and the problem went away. When I did FF's on my 6.7 I was cycling the key to prime the fuel line,of course,that activates the grid heater.So with that in mind,you should read this thread on the Cummins forum.Unfortunately,some,with nothing better to do clog up the thread with crap.So,you have to wade through it to fine the relevant information.FCA is aware of the issue as this quote below from the manual posted by electrojake states.I suggest reading the whole thread,you may choose to ignore it or do as I have and disconnect the grid heater.I did the wiggle test,no movement,but,I don't need the grid heater most days,so disconnecting it poses no issues.If I need it I will reconnect for the short period that it will be needed.
CAUTION:
Excessive actuation of the Intake Air Heater may overheat and damage the heater assembly. Allow the Intake Air heater to cool for five minutes between each actuation to prevent any possible damage from overheating to occur to the Intake Air Heater.
NOTE:
If the intake grid heater stays on for an extended period of time, the intake grid heater element can cause heat damage to the grid heater terminal. This can lead to open circuits or potentially cause engine damage.
Engine damage can occur when the bolt and nut from the intake grid heater terminal falls off into the cylinder head intake.
Visually inspect the intake grid heater power terminal for deformation of the plastic over-mold and/or movement by hand. If either of these conditions are present, the intake grid heater cover should be replace
d.
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/...-grid-heater-bolt-falling-into-engine-11.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles