Dodge full size with dual batt?

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Anybody here have a full size Dodge truck with a dual battery set-up? And if so, could you post a pic or two?? Having a hard time figuring out where to put a second batt.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I'm not sure what all the gassers have under the hood - but take a look at one of the Cummins powered trucks. They all come with two batteries. Maybe find one in a junk yard that you can hi-jack the battery tray + misc bits out of . . .

GTABurnout

Explorer
Not the best pic but you can see the batteries one behind the intake one just oppsite it.

DSC_1496.jpg

jcbrandon

Explorer
There's plenty of room with the inline Cummins. The hemi presents the problem.

I haven't yet tried it, but I did check the mesaurements and I think it is possible to install two of the Odyssey/Diehard Platinum batteries in the same location as the big stock Mopar single battery. Probably need to modify the battery tray.

Jwalker

Well the problem with adding a second battery to a Hemi is that the stock airbox, even the K&N cold air intake, occupys the same space as the shelf for the second battery.

So, I just scrapped the whole cold air box, cut the tube back on the K&N kit, got the shelf for the stock location for the cummins from the dealer ($80 ouch), put in the yellow top optima, and installed the National Luna dual battery kit.

Then in a barely related story... proceeded to flatten my "stock location" battery umpteen times with a POS military fridge/freezer.

I would never consider rolling out without a dual battery system again, it has been a lifesaver while running a constant load.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 73
  • throttle body.jpg
    throttle body.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 62
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 62

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Awesome gentlemen... I am going to be installing my snorkel in the next week or so, so after I fit that I will tackle the dual batt thing. I also plan on getting the National Luna split charger when I tackle this project. Thanks!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
can't wait to see pics:) I would shag the Luna and just do a manual switch using an old Ford starter relay- super simple, and you will know what happens when...

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Series 2 Dodge Cummins had the batteries forward in the engine bay, however, many individuals go w/1 absorbent glass mat AGM) battery with twice the cranking capacity for starting and use the second one for house battery.

If perhaps there is no room for a second battery under the hood then consider behind the seat or in or under pickup bed as the AGM is safe for interior installation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz