Dodge full size, for the win ? ?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Only 1 Full-Size 2022 Pickup Truck, the 2022 Ram 1500, earned Consumer Reports’ Recommendation. It was highest rated full size truck, with a score of 75/100.

The F150 was a distant 2nd with a 58/100 score. And sadly, no GM model earned anything over 50/100!

Some Expo’ans have previously stated that these scores mean nothing more than a joke, but many buyers obviously pay attention to these ratings. So, FWIW to those of you shopping for a full sized half ton, the Dodge was dinged in points in this contest mainly only for its fuel thirst.

Explorerinil

Observer
Consumer Reports Recommends Only 1 Full-Size 2022 Pickup Truck, the 2022 Ram 1500 earned Consumer Reports’ highest fullsize truck score: 75/100.

The F150 was a distant 2nd with a 58/100 score. And sadly, no GM model earned anything over 50/100!

Some Expo’ans have previously stated that these scores mean nothing more than a joke, but many buyers obviously pay attention to these ratings. So, FWIW, the Dodge was dinged in points mainly only for its fuel thirst.
Yeah I agree with these rankings, I’ve owned several ram trucks and they have been flawless and have been great trucks. Ram has really been upping their game since about 2010.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
We’ll have to wait another two years though to see how they rank the planned Dodge EV truck, the Ram Revolution (interesting tentative choice of name, no?).

Stellaris is allegedly using a refreshingly different (and long overdue) strategy to tweak the design of this, by asking future buyers for their opinions into the development and production of this first Ram 1500 EV, set to arrive in 2024.

Here's how Ram hopes to compete with Ford and Chevrolet

The silhouette of the Ram 1500 BEV | Stellantis EV Day via Youtube

This idea initiative of asking for future owners input isn’t just a fake sales promo. They claim the development of this new truck EV will use and has used actual potential consumer. See the RamRevolition.com website.

(Per Car and Driver)

Last edited:

Runfar21

For another perspective, take a look at JD Power surveys just released for 2021. Looking at model level by segment, owners ranked their GM trucks/SUVs higher than any other brand. Here’s a summary and link to the results.

Full size heavy duty truck:
#1 - GMC Sierra 2500/3500
#2 - Chevrolet Silverado HD
#3 - Ford F-250/F-350
#4 - Ram 2500/3500

Full size light duty:
#1 - GMC 1500
#2 - Nissan Titan
#2 - Toyota Tundra (tie)
#3 - Silverado 1500
#4 - Ram 1500

Full size SUV segment has similar outcomes with GM on top.

JD Power is the auto industry standard for consumer feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
For another perspective, take a look at JD Power reliability surveys just released for 2021. Looking at model level by segment, owners reported fewer problems with GM trucks/SUVs than any other brand.

That is not correct. The rankings are combination of reliability, driving experience, dealership experience, and resale value.

Ram led the way in both HD and LD (tied w Tundra) in reliability.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
The Ram got its high rating due to its "most car-like ride and handling", plus a very nice cabin.

So it all depends on how you use your pickup. If your primary concern is a soft pillow-like ride, the Ram, with the coil suspension on the rear is your truck. If you will be using it to haul loads you might want something different.

I have a good buddy with a 2021 Ram 1500. My "light duty" truck is an F150. So we are always bantering and picking on each other about the relative merits of our trucks. According to the sticker on the doorjamb, the payload for my truck is 1937 lbs or essentially one ton. And that's stock, with no heavy duty load package. Sticker in his door reads 900 lbs, less than half of what mine is. Yes, his truck rides like a dream. But it would be useless to me - if I put my quad in the back and throw in some camping gear I would exceed the 900 lb payload.

And before you accuse me of brand loyalty - my "heavy duty" pickup is a Ram with the Cummins under the hood and manual transmission, a truck I will own till I die.
P1003877er.jpg

Runfar21

That is not correct. The rankings are combination of reliability, driving experience, dealership experience, and resale value.

Ram led the way in both HD and LD (tied w Tundra) in reliability.

Thanks for the correction. Yes, I’m referencing overall consumer rating. The actual reliability rating of Ram HD vs GMC is -2 pts; both rank “great” for reliability, according to JD Power.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
For another perspective, take a look at JD Power surveys just released for 2021. Looking at model level by segment, owners ranked their GM trucks/SUVs higher than any other brand. Here’s a summary and link to the results.

Full size heavy duty truck:
#1 - GMC Sierra 2500/3500
#2 - Chevrolet Silverado HD
#3 - Ford F-250/F-350
#4 - Ram 2500/3500

Full size light duty:
#1 - GMC 1500
#2 - Nissan Titan
#2 - Toyota Tundra (tie)
#3 - Silverado 1500
#4 - Ram 1500

Full size SUV segment has similar outcomes with GM on top.

JD Power is the auto industry standard for consumer feedback.

Initial quality doesn't mean much. Thousands of miles and years down the road mean more to me. I bought a 1974 Toyota mini pickup brand new based on a major vehicle magazines recommendation. I had so many problems with that pos that I chucked it within six months

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Of all the new vehicles i have owned and it has been many, i have never received a jd powers survey..

Well, no worries, we respect your opinions anyway.

FWIW, and for the most part, the ExPoFo serves as my “real world” JD Powers, and detailed comments and opinions from other knowledgeable members about their actual, personal experiences with the capabilities of their rigs, etc.--their pluses and minuses—are much appreciated by many of us.

Last edited:

whododat

Our 2019 1500 was one of the most comfortable vehicles to drive and the LEAST reliable vehicle we have ever owned. I still got the warnings to drive it straight to the dealer after I dumped it. Never again.

Zuber

My Toyota pickup was the most unreliable vehicle I've owned new, with terrible mileage and terrible ride on top of it.

Oh, and BTW, Dodge hasn't made a truck for ten years.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Only 1 Full-Size 2022 Pickup Truck, the 2022 Ram 1500, earned Consumer Reports’ Recommendation. It was highest rated full size truck, with a score of 75/100.

Some Expo’ans have previously stated that these scores mean nothing more than a joke, but many buyers obviously pay attention to these ratings. So, FWIW to those of you shopping for a full sized half ton, the Dodge was dinged in points in this contest mainly only for its fuel thirst.
Consumer reports is great for vacuums or washing machines- for trucks…..?. I had a loaner new ram late last year, I was not impressed at all- but to each his own, I don’t think I will ever own another ram and I’ve had a couple of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles