Dodge Cummins Short- Long Bed

Colby Jack

Traveler
So I got the green light to shop for a 2006 Quad Cab Cummins. My dream is to have a flat bed set-up with a pop-up.
I would like to get two utility boxes custom built for the top that would mimic the profile of the camper, giving me the storage of a utility bed without the insane cost of fabrication and shipping to Alaska. I would like to have my bed maybe a foot longer than the camper for a small front porch/ area for gas cans. Behind that will be a custom bumper with swingouts for tire and generator box (aluminess???).
I am over six feet tall, and want to sleep on the couch bed during the winter. I'm thinking that a long bed Dodge would be the way to go; thereby not extrending too far beyond the rear axle for my porch and bumper.

I have really enjoyed my experience on this forum, even though I've never posted, and eagerly await any and all responses.

Thanks! Colby Jack

Expedition Key

Adventurer
So I got the green light to shop for a 2006 Quad Cab Cummins. My dream is to have a flat bed set-up with a pop-up.
I would like to get two utility boxes custom built for the top that would mimic the profile of the camper, giving me the storage of a utility bed without the insane cost of fabrication and shipping to Alaska. I would like to have my bed maybe a foot longer than the camper for a small front porch/ area for gas cans. Behind that will be a custom bumper with swingouts for tire and generator box (aluminess???).
I am over six feet tall, and want to sleep on the couch bed during the winter. I'm thinking that a long bed Dodge would be the way to go; thereby not extrending too far beyond the rear axle for my porch and bumper.

I have really enjoyed my experience on this forum, even though I've never posted, and eagerly await any and all responses.

Thanks! Colby Jack

Welcome, the 06 quad cab Cummins is a great platform IMO. I had an 07 quad cab long bed, and it was a great truck. Loaded with 2k# and a contractor rack, it got better mpg than my current Tacoma. The down side for me was the SIZE. I live in an area that is very "packed in" small roads, a lot of traffic, and almost all compact sized parking spaces. That thing was so difficult to park that I ended up selling it mainly for that reason. I do miss the payload and towing capacity, but I love my new Tacoma.

Good luck with your purchase.

Here's a pic of mine:

Kye

Attachments

• IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    408.5 KB · Views: 86
Ute ltd in Seattle makes flat beds that look nice. I am thinking along the same lines when I get my new Tacoma in a couple years. Good luck and welcome to Expo!!!

Colby Jack

Traveler
Shortened long bed?

Thanks for the pic, and for the welcome! That is a sharp looking truck. Parking in the great north is not a problem. If I had to guess, I would say this is the Excursion and Crew cab capital of the world! lol

I have looked at Ute beds, but I have an aluminum boat maker that I have had do work for me here in Anchorage. I think the flatbed would be a simple project for him. Do you guys think a cab protector is necessary? I want to keep the flat bed within the dimensions of the cab, maybe in an inch on both sides. My boxes will not overhang the bed at all.

Checksix started a good discussion in the General Mods section where he was asking about changing his wheelbase to improve his departure angle. that got me thinking that I will lean toward using a long bed that is shortened back to the spring hangers rather than use a shortbed and hang more "stuff" off the back. I am leaning toward an Eagle model of FWC.

Guess I need to start shopping!:cool:

Colby Jack

I think you would be safe to shorten a long bed frame as long as you didnt move the spring mounts and keep the axle in the stock location.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'd stick with the longbed for better weight distribution if you're planning on installing one of the heavier popups. If it's a Four Wheel Camper,a shorbed flatbed designed to accomodate that brand would work well. The shortbed's tend to be tail heavy with a heavier camper. I've got almost 50/50 weight balance on my regcab platform. I know of a guy who had an Outfitter on a 3500 shortbed where the rear axle had 2000#+ more than the front.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
If you don't need the additional seating I would have to put in a vote for the regular cab long bed. In my opinion this is about the maximum comfortable size to drive around both in the city and in the woods. Even the quad cab short bed is a good deal longer than I would want.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
No idea what size genset you are looking at, but going to a flatbed will open up other mount location possibilities. Having it on a swing-away would be my own least desirable option.

Colby Jack

Traveler
Excellent points...

Well, a little more background... I'm a young guy (just turned 31), and i have 3 teenagers. We do a lot of camping and fishing together. My Silverado is an extended cab half-ton with the suicide rear doors and a cab high shell. When we drive up to Fairbanks or down to the Kenai, I am taking every chance I get to pull over and let the kids out of the truck. Makes for a slow trip.
The reality is that they will be driving soon and having summer jobs. Very soon, fishing and camping with mom and dad won't be cool.
I'm thinking that the porch on the back of the camper is a good idea. I think the Honda e2000 is a nice, light, quiet generator that can be stored in a hard box with a lock until we use it. Realities of camping and fishing up here is that if you want a lot of fish for the freezer, you have to fight the crowds. No worries here-- been doing it all my life. I just want to have everything under lock and key while we are in the boat the entire day.
Which brings me back to truck decisions: I want a bigger truck with a smaller camper. One that has a couch at least 6'3". Leaning towards a Hallmark, but need to get some definite dimensions.
Sorry to ramble on...
Cheese

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Rambling provokes thoughts in others, which prompts ideas and suggestions, which firms up your desires and directions. Never apologize for that. :sombrero:

I suspect that an e2000 might fit under the flat bed on a dedicated (& gravel shielded) mount, and could be bolted in place and hard-wired. Maybe that works for you and maybe not.

Colby Jack

Traveler
Yes, I'm a trophy!

The three kids aren't "mine," but I'm all they got, meaning their doner has no rights to them and hasn't been in their lives for almost 12 years. Wouldn't have it any other way. It's spooky-- all three of them are just like me-- one is a super-athlete, one is a genius, and one is hilarious!:victory:lol

I'm trying my best to keep my kids off the television and into activities, but all parents understand that their comes a time when teenage priorities shift because of fumes-- exhaust fumes and perfumes. My oldest is gonna be 16 next month, and I foresee his summers filling up quickly with small jobs, sports camps, etc. However, he has a snowmobile and snowboards, so we spend a lot of time together in the winter recreating. My youngest is 12 and just went on his first bunny hunt, and shows the most interest in hunting and fishing.

ntsqd, I like the idea of the gen-set being hard mounted under the deck-- as a contractor, this would be great on some remote job sites. I was only thinking of being able to locate it somewhere else and chain it up while in use to lessen the drone.

klahanie, I see your point about the swingouts... what's the realistic point of having a flatbed if it's a pain to use it as such when the camper isn't on there. I envisioned the two side boxes running full length, with the profile of the camper notched out of the inboard sides. These boxes will run all the way forward to the cab. I am trying to get the most storage available, as I am trying to use a pop-up that is on the smaller side. I would have a piece of aluminum sheet across the bottom behind the cab just like a typical truck bed. Essentially I am building a utility bed one piece at a time. Really was inspired by the Superduty with utility bed in the pop-up section awhile back.:drool: I think there must be an easier way to achieve the same thing for less than $7000.:Wow1: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12766

I like your idea about an add on porch. I have heard of people having 2 receiver hitches welded into the flatbed platform and building another platform that can slide in. Seems heavy and combersome compared to maybe a tailgate from a utility bed at the pick and pull.

Thanks for the welcome, and the great responses!
Cheese

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94