Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I may be biased, but I LOVE this new Goose Gear interior. I find myself actually packing less crap now since I can leave EVERYTHING in there full time minus groceries. Before a trip, we used to throw stuff in the truck in a "might need this" fashion but as we have evolved the rig (and our style of travel) we've learned less really is more so post-trip we delete anything not used and very rarely find any real "needs" out there other than more or different groceries.

That setup looks good and similar to a typical popup, slide-in camper...stuff has a place and is loaded and secure. Add food, water, and go.

Looks great Dave. :)

Hey Dave,

This is a pretty amazing set up! How long do you think you +1 could live out of this comfortably? Thinking about selling my 1st gen Tacoma to buy an E350 for a 6 month trip around the country. The van would have more room and the ability to stealth camp but if I did something like this I would retain my beloved Tacoma and still be able to go most everywhere off road at the cost of not being able to stealth camp back east. You think it would be possible to spend that much time in your set up? I have spent three weeks in a RTT and it kinda started to get old setting up and taking it and the annex down everyday.

Joe

S/F

Keyne

Adventurer
Dave,

I took another spin through the Goose Gear website and was wondering if you would be willing to share which specific units you purchased to build your setup? Your configuration seems really well thought out so I wanted to price out a similar setup and thought it might be useful to others as they explore similar options.

KD

goosegear

Dave,

I took another spin through the Goose Gear website and was wondering if you would be willing to share which specific units you purchased to build your setup? Your configuration seems really well thought out so I wanted to price out a similar setup and thought it might be useful to others as they explore similar options.

KD

Hello Keyne,

For Dave's build and other builds we have completed similar to his, we typically do not use very many "standard" designs. When building a custom system we do our best to eliminate as much weight as possible while maintaining strength of course. This process usually takes quite a bit of time to develop with each customer as they all have their own idea of what works for them and the types and lengths of trips they take. Some are master cooks and want all the amenities and some bust out a Skottle and call it a day.

Either way, systems like Dave's are custom tailored. As we have grown in experience and wisdom we have been able to assist clients by guiding them to the best solution for their particular needs.

Keeping in mind that Dave's system was custom built with black anodized frame which cost a bit more and takes more time to get, a build like Dave's would run around $9k. This includes weeks, if not months of back and forth communication and design work that was modified several times before a single part was cut. We recently completed a build under $7k for another customer with a long bed Tacoma and FlipPac. In their system we were able to build using less material and therefore much less weight than we did with Dave's truck. We removed drawers and used bins like Front Runner, Soft Sided boxes, Cub packs and Wolf Packs to save weight and money.

Compare this to a slide in camper starting at $15k and even with our costs, you're well below that mark even with a new FlipPac. Not saying the FlipPac is better then the Slide In camper, just a price comparison.

In our recent build we were just over 240# for a complete build out, quite a bit lighter than Dave's but fewer drawers.

If you were to send us drawings and a list of modules we could assist you in saving some money and weight here and there and install them yourselves. I would guestimate that the last system could have been completed for around $4-5k if they just purchased the lightened modules from us.

Keyne

Adventurer
Hello Keyne,

For Dave's build and other builds we have completed similar to his, we typically do not use very many "standard" designs. When building a custom system we do our best to eliminate as much weight as possible while maintaining strength of course. This process usually takes quite a bit of time to develop with each customer as they all have their own idea of what works for them and the types and lengths of trips they take. Some are master cooks and want all the amenities and some bust out a Skottle and call it a day.

Either way, systems like Dave's are custom tailored. As we have grown in experience and wisdom we have been able to assist clients by guiding them to the best solution for their particular needs.

Keeping in mind that Dave's system was custom built with black anodized frame which cost a bit more and takes more time to get, a build like Dave's would run around $9k. This includes weeks, if not months of back and forth communication and design work that was modified several times before a single part was cut. We recently completed a build under $7k for another customer with a long bed Tacoma and FlipPac. In their system we were able to build using less material and therefore much less weight than we did with Dave's truck. We removed drawers and used bins like Front Runner, Soft Sided boxes, Cub packs and Wolf Packs to save weight and money.

Compare this to a slide in camper starting at $15k and even with our costs, you're well below that mark even with a new FlipPac. Not saying the FlipPac is better then the Slide In camper, just a price comparison.

In our recent build we were just over 240# for a complete build out, quite a bit lighter than Dave's but fewer drawers.

If you were to send us drawings and a list of modules we could assist you in saving some money and weight here and there and install them yourselves. I would guestimate that the last system could have been completed for around $4-5k if they just purchased the lightened modules from us.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for (general cost and weight estimate). There are definitely pros and cons to Flip-pac/Habitat vs Pop-up vs. other alternatives that need to be worked through, but this info helps a lot.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
This truck took us everywhere we wanted to go in the 11 years we owned it. The AT FlipPac was flawless from 2009 to 2016 and gave us many comfortable nights in the field.

Just wanted to post this update that the Tacoma and FlipPac have been sold to the fine folks over at YodaTEQ so this thread will no longer be updated by me.

kalieaire

Observer

Hey Dave, I know you're completely over this project now since it's been three years since you worked on this. But I had a question regarding the bed plate. Did you bolt them down to only the bed, or did you go into the frame itself and cross member for the three mount points here? I'm doing a similar setup for my truck, so I was wondering if you had any issues if it was straight into the bed.

Last edited:

snwbrdr852

Dave, any chance of getting all the pictures to work again?

Edit: I just found the corresponding thread on your forum, but unfortunately it looks like the same problem there...

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

Edit: I just found the corresponding thread on your forum, but unfortunately it looks like the same problem there...

Looks like Dave used Photobucket, who went and broke the whole internet with their money grab. If you're using Chrome browser, try searching for a Chrome Extension called "Fix Embedded Photobucket Images". It makes a small tweak in your URL fetches so it looks like any photobucket links are coming from a different referrer, which should fix the issue.

I'm running the extension, but Photobucket URLs are blocked by the ISP I'm behind right at this moment (a different issue), so I can't say for sure if this fixes Dave's images, but I expect it should.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist

Photobucket took them and I have no intention of trying to rebuild it all, sorry

snwbrdr852

Looks like Dave used Photobucket, who went and broke the whole internet with their money grab. If you're using Chrome browser, try searching for a Chrome Extension called "Fix Embedded Photobucket Images". It makes a small tweak in your URL fetches so it looks like any photobucket links are coming from a different referrer, which should fix the issue.

I'm running the extension, but Photobucket URLs are blocked by the ISP I'm behind right at this moment (a different issue), so I can't say for sure if this fixes Dave's images, but I expect it should.

Nice tip, that worked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94