Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I have decided to buy the third members pre-assembled, and may go with East Coast Gear vice JT's due to customer service and overall best deal, including a 5 year warranty.
+1 for ECG. I've been very impressed with the Customer Service there.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Thats good to know! With your attention to detail that's a great recommendation for them and makes me feel better about doing business with them.

Now, I just need to get a little bit better so I can get out in my garage and start all these projects I've had on hold for so long... Cabin fever is setting in!

I'm considering having an ExPo Wrench-A-Thon Day some weekend here later in July since I have so much to get done with my current limitations.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Are you going to lock up the front when you swap gears?

Sounds like a nice plan. I like that AT Flippac, but wish they'd invent something of similar size that could comfortably sleep four.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Dave,

Are you planning on adding windoors to the Flip-pac? Rain Fly?

REX

I'm going with smooth sides (no windows) just like what Mario has on his Jeep Commanche pickup. This way I have privacy for changing etc. and I can load it to the rafters with no fear of knocking a window out.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Por-15

Well, as I compile parts and supplies for my upcoming MAJOR re-furbishing of the truck I thought I should address the light surface rust on the frame and especially the sliders. I started researching paints that would be MUCH more durable than the expensive Rust-Oleum that I have been applying to the sliders about 2x a year - that old routine is getting tiring and I need something that will last!

Enter POR-15 products :costumed-smiley-007

I've seen alot of reviews touting this stuff, and I was looking for some heavy duty farm implement type paint that could take a beating and withstand UV. POR-15 fits the description.

So, I ordered the Mix-Pack of POR-15 in Chassis Black, a quart of Marine Clean, and a quart of Metal-Ready for prep. All shipped for less than $100 and should be more than enough cover the sliders and frame :)

This should be a fairly straightforward afternoon's worth of work and hopefully should wear better than the rattle can.

http://www.stoprust.net/POR-15-Mix-Pack-CHASSIS-COAT-BLACK-p-31.html

deadbeat son

Explorer
Back when I drove a TLC, it seemed like all of the FJ40 guys painted their frames with POR15 when rebuilding their trucks. I've heard nothing but good things regarding it. Good luck!

Rigged

Observer
POR-15 works very very well, but like tacollie said where a respirator if you can. Also DO NOT GET ANY ON YOU AT ALL. My hands were black for about a month, and my knee had a small spot of POR-15 on it for about 3 months. It just doesn't come off your skin period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior