Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

UncleChris

Adventurer
I got my Husky floormats from AutoAnything (http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_fm.aspx?p_id=1456&se=husky_liners_floor_mats), but the huskies are available all over the place. I think that I have even seen them on eBay.

I'd be up for a CAKE*. I actually work in Milpitas, so I am up in the Valley everyday for work. I believe that this week(Wednesday) we are going to have an XJ lunch(although very few of us have xjs anymore) in Alviso.

Always lookin for people to go adventuring with, especially as my New Years resolution is to get up in the hills more often!

Let me know if you can make Wednesday, I'll send you more info.

*Coffee Assisted Knowledge Exchange

asteffes

Explorer
UncleChris said:
I got my Husky floormats from AutoAnything (http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_fm.aspx?p_id=1456&se=husky_liners_floor_mats), but the huskies are available all over the place. I think that I have even seen them on eBay.

I'd be up for a CAKE*. I actually work in Milpitas, so I am up in the Valley everyday for work. I believe that this week(Wednesday) we are going to have an XJ lunch(although very few of us have xjs anymore) in Alviso.

Always lookin for people to go adventuring with, especially as my New Years resolution is to get up in the hills more often!

Let me know if you can make Wednesday, I'll send you more info.

*Coffee Assisted Knowledge Exchange

I should be free for a Wednesday lunch. :)

blupaddler

Conspirator
Nice Tacoma's everyone!!!

I really like the look of those. The size seems like an excellent compromise between the older smaller Taco and the bigger Tundra.

:clapsmile

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
asteffes said:
I received my Husky mats from AutoAnything today! They're great!

Some of the best money I have spent on keeping the inside clean and not worrying about mud - I have had a set from my 2000 tacoma and transfered those to the 04 - 6 years later still like new :)

Enjoy those mats!

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
An other 06 Taco Double Cab checking in! (As soon as the system lets me, I will change my sig) She is a radiant red, is a 6 speed manual w/TRD package, 8 days and 623 miles old, and bone stock for now. She is my daily driver and main transportation for the family, but I have about the same plans for her as you have for your vehicles (I guess that's why we are hanging out at this forum ;) )
First mod will most likely be a camper shell with some smart interior (with bajataco for inspiration), then some rock sliders, maybe some slightly larger shoes (I really don't want to do anything that hurts fuel milage too much), some auxiliary fuel tank etc, etc.
This will be fun :D

UncleChris

Adventurer
Cool welcome to the world of the 05 Tacos!

Got any pics?

05TACODOC,

How is your 05 Going? Any mods? Anymore pics?

asteffes

Explorer
Hi, Michael. Glad you're here!

One bit of advice about choosing a shell: Pick one with win-doors, or side windows that also open upward to allow access to the bed from the sides. I wish my SnugTop SuperSport had them, but I found out too late that I could not have it converted. Whichever shell you choose, I would seriously consider windoors a requirement! ARE or SnugTop can accomodate them if you pick the right model or check the right box on the order form.

4wd4me

Can anyone recommend a good shop in the San Francisco east bay area that does suspension lifts etcetera? I am willing to travel to another city if necessary for someone that does good work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I currently have a 1993 Toyota 4x4 extra cab v6 pickup. However, I am close to buying a 2006 Tacoma Double cab. I like the tier size, suspension/lift size, and rock rails on the Expeditions West truck.

Also, is there a front locker available for the 2006?

UncleChris

Adventurer
4wd4me said:
Can anyone recommend a good shop in the San Francisco east bay area that does suspension lifts etcetera? I am willing to travel to another city if necessary for someone that does good work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I currently have a 1993 Toyota 4x4 extra cab v6 pickup. However, I am close to buying a 2006 Tacoma Double cab. I like the tier size, suspension/lift size, and rock rails on the Expeditions West truck.

Also, is there a front locker available for the 2006?

The only place that I found(South Bay) that would do my lift is a place called Ben Lifted(?) in Santa Cruz. I did it myself. Much easier than the Cherokee. Most places I called will not do lifts unless it is a full package from a known Manufacturer for liability reasons.

AJ at Bentup is close to Sacramento, he should be able to suggest a place if he won't.

I believe that ARB does have a front locker. Could come in handy!:)

UncleChris

Adventurer
asteffes said:
Pick one with win-doors, or side windows that also open upward to allow access to the bed from the sides. I wish my SnugTop SuperSport had them, but I found out too late that I could not have it converted. Whichever shell you choose, I would seriously consider windoors a requirement! ARE or SnugTop can accomodate them if you pick the right model or check the right box on the order form.

Dittio,

I have the xvision, and my tool box is up in front so that the dog can hang in the bed when she is a mess. On my last trip, my tow strap was a little hard to reach, and I depended on my wingman to get the towstrap and tree strap out(plus the rear of the truck was in the muck, I really did not want to walk through that to get to it).

Another solution that I am looking into is Velcro ties. I want to velcro tie my tow strap into an easily accessible location along with a few other things.

theSwiss said:
maybe some slightly larger shoes (I really don't want to do anything that hurts fuel milage too much)

With 6k miles on my Taco I put 265/75R16 Revos on mine(without the lift). Made the speedo spot on and no rubbing whatsoever.

snowbrock

Uncle Chris. I like the look of the 265/75 revos on your tacoma. How are they working out? How many miles? No rubbing at all, even with the mudflaps? I have a 2006 white doublecab and am thinking over suspension/tire options. How have you found the stock suspension off road? Are you considering upgrading? I have been keeping an eye on the OME setup to be released shortly. 2" seems to be sufficient to improve travel and still keep gas mileage and drivability comfortable, the cost seems right as well.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
UncleChris said:
With 6k miles on my Taco I put 265/75R16 Revos on mine(without the lift). Made the speedo spot on and no rubbing whatsoever.
That's the size I'm looking at, but I would like to go with my good old and trusted BFG AT again.

Interesting that everybody seams to agree on the win-doors. I don't really plan on sleeping in the back of the Taco as the bed is about a foot short for me ;) but I will have a look at them. It would be long enough for the boys though, at least for the next week or so if I stop feeding the older one :Wow1:

Another thing I have to decide on before jumping on getting a top is if I plan on leaving my Maggiolina roof top tent on the trailer (did this mainly for fuel efficiency reason as the tent sucked about 1.5 mpg out of my Grand Cherokee; the Jeep was my daily driver as the TAco will be) or if I plan to put it back on the vehicle; in that case, I'd better get a rack like some of you do. I don't believe these fibre glass tops would be strong enough to carry the Maggiolina over rough terrain (and two loving adults at night).

UncleChris

Adventurer
snowbrock said:
Uncle Chris. I like the look of the 265/75 revos on your tacoma. How are they working out? How many miles? No rubbing at all, even with the mudflaps? I have a 2006 white doublecab and am thinking over suspension/tire options. How have you found the stock suspension off road? Are you considering upgrading? I have been keeping an eye on the OME setup to be released shortly. 2" seems to be sufficient to improve travel and still keep gas mileage and drivability comfortable, the cost seems right as well.

Thanks Snowbrock,

I have about 17k mile on the Revos and they are an awesome all around tire.

The Revos did not rub the mudflaps at all. I took the mudflaps off after a snow run in January. The snow had broken one of them at the seam, so I thought I would finish the job on them. I have done my best to stuff the Revos, and I did not find that the mudflaps would interfere.

I did find out today that the Revos do rub slightly on the UCA. I have never noticed it until I was cleaning out the front suspension(getting the mud chunks out). I was measuring the UCA clearance out of curiosity to see If I am going to have more UCA clearance with the Camburgs. At flex, the Revos are wearing the paint off of the UCA. It is not obvious in the driveway, but the worn paint says it all.

I was very happy with the stock suspension offroad. What I didn't like was approach/departure angles and wanted to put a winch on(glad I did!).

Once I put the ARB + Warn 9000i on, the front dropped ~ 1 inch +. At that point I put on some DR Coilovers and a Wheeler's AAL. I am running about an inch lift (Stock 35" front/37" rear flare to ground, I am running 36.25" front, 38" rear). When I get a full leaf pack for the rear, hopin' to get that to 2", which is enough.

I did a lot of wheeling with my XJ at 1.5" lift. When I put it up to 4-4.5" (TeraFlex budget+OME HD)it was too much for long distance trips and commuting. In retrospect, I should have taken off the 1.5" spacer/shackle lift on the XJ and went with a pure OME. I liked the OME a lot.

I want to keep long range drivability in the taco and I am not a rock crawler, so 2 " should be enough for me. I am really impressed with what the taco can do stock.

The only reason I did not wait for the OME was the winch+bumper. I sprung for the Hoes, so that I could adjust the ride height without ripping apart the front end.

I am putting on the Camburg arms next week and am trying to figure out my pure offroad wheel/tire setup.

Next project is dedicated offroad wheels/tires,which I can eval once I get the arms on. I got a stock steelie off of ebay and will be trying out a AR23(4.5bs). I figure there are a bunch of used tire places around here, I'll pick up a used 255/85 and go to my favorite rut at Hollister and try to make em rub. If they do rub, I will be perfectly happy with the 32s(265/75).

That way I can use the truck for long distance travel and have the Off Roads for more technical trails.

Hope that answers your questions, glad to be of help!

05TacoDoc, sorry for HiJacking your thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles