Dobinsons 2016 4Runner Trail Build

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Hey guys,

I'm a bit slow to get all of this up, since the truck has had a few things added and taken away already, but I wanted to share it anyway, get some feedback, and some ideas for what to do next.

We started with a 2016 4Runner Trail, black - chosen so that it will scratch better than any other color offered!! And scratched, it is!!!

Anyway, the dealer had installed some N-Fab side steps, so we kept them on for now.

cJ3VB5O.jpg

Then added some Bushwacker flares and Katzkin leather seat covers inside.

Next was to check all the suspension from the Prado 150 non-KDSS models would suit our requirements. Unfortunately we didn't get any photos of this, but we had a great riding 2" lift front and back using Dobinsons twin tube shocks and struts, comfort load front coils (C59-448 and GS59-221), then C59-325 coils and GS59-701 shocks in the back. We ran that on stock wheels and tires for a few weeks. That all went on no worries, then came the exciting step. How to get more lift and more flex?

We enlisted the help of our Aussie counterparts to hand build a set of Dobinsons MRR (Monotube Remote Reservoir) struts and shocks for this black beast, adding some extra length front and rear to get some more travel. We accomplished that..... Had to quickly add some Icon upper control arms on the front. We checked the rear and grabbed bump stop spacers and an adjustable panhard rod, but upon installation and measuring everything, the panhard rod really wasn't needed. The axle was within an inch of where it should have been. We put it in anyway since we'd spent the money on getting it sent by air.

Variable rate coils? Yes please. We made a 3" variable (progressive) rate coil for the back first, then the Dobinson boys wound up a few samples of front variables for the struts. This proved to be very difficult, as getting the winds just right is extremely tricky. After 2-3 tries, we halted the front just for now to focus on a few other projects, and added the C59-302 onto the MRR's, and having an adjustable coil seat, we were able to set the height exactly where we wanted it to be.

Lwethbf.jpg

QgIDi7E.jpg

UoWIlsM.jpg

7HJz8RG.jpg

Tires were added, 285/65R18 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro muddies, on some 18x9 Fuel Wheels. Tire clearance is pretty good all around. Bit of rubbing on the front body mount, but everyone loves that noise anyway, right?

Flexing it out a bit, just after adding some 2" bump stop extensions on the back to keep our meaty tires nice and new looking, and extended stainless steel brake lines. We definitely got a lot of flex in the rear (sway bar removed), and are super happy about that. We have been working on twin-tube shocks the same length as these prototype MRR's. Those should be here by the end of the year. We still haven't put the sway bar back onto the rear, but we're not really missing it. The shocks and coils are really stabilizing this truck really well.

Bf23s1d.jpg

pLhPiYB.jpg

So as it sits now, we have 3" lift front and rear, running the prototype struts and shocks, off the shelf front coils, and prototype rear variable rate coils, but production units of those coils are on the water.

CDCqibR.jpg

Front first prototype bumper is on, but we have some changes to make before we show the full pics of that.
Here's a teaser:
FRfFSGW.jpg

Next we will be adding our Sensu Awning to the factory roof rack, adding the Dobinsons dual roller drawer kit to the back end, and start figuring out a rear bumper option.

mouse007

Explorer
Nice, 4Runner & Tacoma TRD, you guys are killing it. Can't wait to see that front bumper...!! when is the full reveal..!! Keeping an eye on this bad boy.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
We had the time today to test fit the smaller roller drawer kit we make into the 5th gen today. I knew by all measurements it would fit very well, but it's better than expected. The 4runner floor is nice and flat with everything removed back there, and the drawers slide in and fit on the carpeted floor perfectly!! We're going to do some more checking, but it looks like we won't bother making side panels for this, so that the outlet can still be easily accessed, and besides, the drawer side panels take up space and weight themselves. Since these drawers fill up most available space, I think it's best to leave them like this. We will probably carpet the sides of the floors just to finish them off.

We're debating now whether to drill the floor to bolt it in (as instructions show), or add some turnbuckle tie downs to the side of the drawer system, tied into the factory tie downs (need to find the ratings of those). All 4 factory tie downs are still accessible.

Part number is RD80-1001. $1010.00, as shown in photos.

Either way, check it out and let me know what you think!!

Empty, ready to be filled.
1c9OYex.jpg

Unpacking from the box. Drawers are fully assembled together.
bWpruNI.jpg

5I4kWiI.jpg

Great fit!!
psWEVeX.jpg

8BCMI6S.jpg

NbM57Wl.jpg

rllTspi.jpg

V7qR4ze.jpg

PyOLYAQ.jpg

dBBTefv.jpg

fUfIiG1.jpg

VUe5ow5.jpg

EilSuow.jpg

SLdBtP7.jpg

zscott

Adventurer
Any issues with coil bind on the front? Even at full droop the coils look like there is very little room for compression.

mouse007

Explorer
@Crikeymike love the way the drawers came out. I'll need to stop by this week and check them out. You need to put both builds on the Collection of Build Threads :drool:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior