Do you use relays for your air locker solenoids?

jeegro

Adventurer
I'm preparing to install air lockers. Looks like the solenoid coil uses about half an amp. I'm using some factory switches that I believe are rated at 10 amps. 15 foot or so 16 AWG wire run. I see no real reason to use relays, but the idea of putting current through a switch also feels kind of wrong / not clean. Thoughts?

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
The regular switches work fine without the relays...I typically do a stealth/hands free/don't have to look for it, switch install on at least the front air locker (old timey bright/dim headlight switch under the carpet, although I have also used the bright/dim switch on the turn signal on some older vehicles, usually with replacement Delco steering columns).

Enjoy!

jeegro

Adventurer
Alright haha.. no relays

here's what I did

locker air path is: tank -> water trap -> barrel regulator (step down to 80 psi) -> manifold. Manifold has both solenoids, a little air gauge, 80 psi relief

dms1

Explorer
I didn't even use solenoids, I found some brass air valves that were activated with a toggle switch. I hope they never break because I can't find them anywhere anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles