Do you sleep in your JK

DallasJKU

Adventurer
They work very well. It's nice to be able to put the soft top up or down, just by unclipping the rear panel.
Makes short work of the process.

I looked at them, but Safari Straps gave me a repeat customer discount and I like the look of the SS better. [Removed by Admin]

Last edited by a moderator:

JCTex

Observer
This is on topic because I did take an 8-day trip through NM & CO sleeping inside. I decided that this was not going to work for me because: I was on a raised platform to allow me to stretch out at 6'2"; this left too little room above me to do anything but roll over; due to the cramped conditions with the other stuff inside, it was too hard and took too long to get dressed; it was too much trouble to roll the electric windows up or down; I spent too much time making and installing bug netting and privacy blackouts in the windows; there was no way to open my rear hatch from inside; it rained in one night before I woke up to close up, and then it was steamy and hot; while I thought it would be easy to get to,the front seat and drive away from danger, it was far from it; I usually had a tarp staked out that needed taking down and the seats we're full of stuff normally stowed where I was sleeping.

I thought my only solution was a roof top tent. I didn't want to do this because: I carry stuff on top in a rack; it was relatively hard for me to climb up and down; putting it down and stowing all the needed stuff took time, while not much, enough to notice; I wasn't happy with now long it would take me to get down and in the drivers seat to run away, not to mention with a big tent set up on my roof.

My solution (so far, at least) has been an Oz Tent. I stow it outside its bag making time to get it out less. I stow it on the floor under shelves and kitchen stuff with access through the rear hatch (which, by the way, acts as a rain cover while getting it out). I stow all the tents' accessories separately keeping the weight of lifting it out to a minimum. HERE'S THE BIGGIE: from the moment the tent is clear of its stow hole till the time I'm inside with the rain door zipped is 35 secs. I just lay it on the ground, spread the sides, and lift up a front ridge pole. Inside, I click two poles together; and it's up. Now, staking it down (if there's lots of wind and staking out the front patio awning take a little more. My sleeping gear and stuff needed at night live in a duffle bag that gets thrown in very quickly.

The point is, I can be out of the weather in less time than it took me to get my insides set up to sleep. I have all the room I need to sit or stand up. If I set up on the Drivers Side, I feel, I can be in my seat, ready to escape very quickly. True, the bad guys would get my tent; but Misters Smith and Wesson may have a word or two about that.

Would another tent work as well? I doubt it. They do sell some pop up tents; it they're not very sturdy or weather proof.

Pebbledropper

TheLoneJeeper

Sleeping-in-a-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-2-Doors.jpg

I'm driving a Wrangler JK 2-Doors all year long for commercial purposes and probably sleep in the trunk 50 nights per year. It's very minimalistic, if I can say. But I don't have 2 hours to spend every day to pitch a tent and setup a campsite because for me mileage is money. I need to move fast and constantly on huge territories (Yukon, Northwest Territories, British Columbia). I'm not fond either to sleep in a tent or under a tarp when I know myself surrounded by grizzlies and even, rarely but sometimes, by polar bears.

It's more comfortable than it looks. If you want to see my current setup : How I Sleep in a JK 2-Doors

Take care everyone.

rsbmg

Observer
Just got this https://www.deepsleep4jeeps.com/ Spent last weekend in Big Bear and it is great. Very comfy, easy to set up and take down. I'm 5'5 so sleeping back there isn't a problem but a friend of mine has one and he is 6'2 sleeps on the diagonal and had no complaints. Really makes sleeping in the back ok.

tgil

This is on topic because I did take an 8-day trip through NM & CO sleeping inside. while I thought it would be easy to get to,the front seat and drive away from danger,
If I set up on the Drivers Side, I feel, I can be in my seat, ready to escape very quickly. True, the bad guys would get my tent; but Misters Smith and Wesson may have a word or two about that.

Pebbledropper
I realize this is more than a year old, so don't know if you will see it or not? Where are you spending the night where you need to be able to "drive away from danger"? I'm especially interested to know this as I plan a trip through NM and CO soon myself!

St8ton

This is on topic because I did take an 8-day trip through NM & CO sleeping inside. I decided that this was not going to work for me because: I was on a raised platform to allow me to stretch out at 6'2"; this left too little room above me to do anything but roll over; due to the cramped conditions with the other stuff inside, it was too hard and took too long to get dressed; it was too much trouble to roll the electric windows up or down; I spent too much time making and installing bug netting and privacy blackouts in the windows; there was no way to open my rear hatch from inside; it rained in one night before I woke up to close up, and then it was steamy and hot; while I thought it would be easy to get to,the front seat and drive away from danger, it was far from it; I usually had a tarp staked out that needed taking down and the seats we're full of stuff normally stowed where I was sleeping.

I thought my only solution was a roof top tent. I didn't want to do this because: I carry stuff on top in a rack; it was relatively hard for me to climb up and down; putting it down and stowing all the needed stuff took time, while not much, enough to notice; I wasn't happy with now long it would take me to get down and in the drivers seat to run away, not to mention with a big tent set up on my roof.

My solution (so far, at least) has been an Oz Tent. I stow it outside its bag making time to get it out less. I stow it on the floor under shelves and kitchen stuff with access through the rear hatch (which, by the way, acts as a rain cover while getting it out). I stow all the tents' accessories separately keeping the weight of lifting it out to a minimum. HERE'S THE BIGGIE: from the moment the tent is clear of its stow hole till the time I'm inside with the rain door zipped is 35 secs. I just lay it on the ground, spread the sides, and lift up a front ridge pole. Inside, I click two poles together; and it's up. Now, staking it down (if there's lots of wind and staking out the front patio awning take a little more. My sleeping gear and stuff needed at night live in a duffle bag that gets thrown in very quickly.

The point is, I can be out of the weather in less time than it took me to get my insides set up to sleep. I have all the room I need to sit or stand up. If I set up on the Drivers Side, I feel, I can be in my seat, ready to escape very quickly. True, the bad guys would get my tent; but Misters Smith and Wesson may have a word or two about that.

Would another tent work as well? I doubt it. They do sell some pop up tents; it they're not very sturdy or weather proof.

Pebbledropper
I'm in the exact same boat (err, Jeep, that is...)
6'3" and enjoyed sleeping inside my JKU until just recently. Same issues, spent a fair amount of time prepping the space for sleep, when I could have been popping up an Oztent and throwing gear inside. An RTT isn't in the cards for me as my garage height wouldn't allow it and we drive the Jeep in offroad situations that wouldn't be conducive to adding 150lbs to the roof. Also, my wife has recently dropped a few hints that she would like to start camping with me and going on a few trips. Hence the purchase of an Oztent RV5...waiting on it to arrive. We shall see.
A trailer setup would be ideal...down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles