Do you sleep in your JK

Expedition Key

Adventurer
I'm curious if any of you guys sleep in your JK. Every time I see one I like it more and more...wish I could justify another vehicle:smiley_drive:

Any of you guys made a sleeping platform, or removed the passenger seat for sleeping area. I built several sleeping platforms in smaller vehicles over the years and I'd love to see creative solutions for the JK. Any pics?

Thanks,

Kye

Desert Dan

Explorer
Are you talking about an regular JK or an Unlimited JK?

I think Kilby make a metal box/platform that goes in the back of an Unlimited in place of the rear seat.

IceCap4runnerORP

Adventurer
5" 6", I sleep in my Unlimited all the time on a thermarest with a blanket shoved in the crease made by folding the back seat down.

AveryS

6' tall and I sleep in my 4 door JK quit a bit, well, usually 4-6 times a year. I use a 3 section 4" thick foam pad (its covered in naugahyde or something) and I sleep kind of diagonally. Its not completely flat with the rear seats folded down but it doesn't seem to bother me sleeping on my back.

On my last video foray I went down to Southern Arizona and was told by 3 different law enforcement agencies not to camp alone due to the high volume of narco traffickers in the area. I though I would be "OK" sleeping in the JK and proceeded to find what I thought was a secluded area.

At about 11:00pm I heard what sounded like some sort of spanish speakers convention about 40 feet from the Jeep. Peeking through the windows I saw men arguing with each other some of whom had odd looking backpacks on their backs and at least one guy looked like he had a rifle slung over his shoulder.

They apparently didn't notice me or maybe the they knew a dumb gringo camping alone wasn't a threat. They move off aways and I figured it was time to go.

For an old fat guy I moved fairly rapidly to the front seat and when my butt actually hit the drivers seat my right hand and right foot were simultaneously turning the key and mashing the throttle. I was out'ta there.

Anyway, sleeping in my Jeep when its cold and rainy or arriving late to the camping site, I will sleep in the back of my JK. It's surprisingly handy at times.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Reviving this thread from the dead. I currently have an ARB RTT mounted on trailer. I'm kinda over the whole trailer thing, and not sure I want the RTT up on my JK. Long term plans call for the AT Habitat. In the mean time, I'd like to see what other, "sleep in Jeep" setups people have come up with. Only half of my JK is usable because I have the AT Stage 1 drawer, and combo slide on the other side. I plan on adding the Stage 2 for a full length single person sleeping platform. I *think* Scott Brady did this exact set up in the J8 or another JK. I would also use this during the horribly rain season here in the Northwest, even when I have the Habitat. Who has some photos?

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
6' tall and I sleep in my 4 door JK quit a bit, well, usually 4-6 times a year. I use a 3 section 4" thick foam pad (its covered in naugahyde or something) and I sleep kind of diagonally. Its not completely flat with the rear seats folded down but it doesn't seem to bother me sleeping on my back.

On my last video foray I went down to Southern Arizona and was told by 3 different law enforcement agencies not to camp alone due to the high volume of narco traffickers in the area. I though I would be "OK" sleeping in the JK and proceeded to find what I thought was a secluded area.

At about 11:00pm I heard what sounded like some sort of spanish speakers convention about 40 feet from the Jeep. Peeking through the windows I saw men arguing with each other some of whom had odd looking backpacks on their backs and at least one guy looked like he had a rifle slung over his shoulder.

They apparently didn't notice me or maybe the they knew a dumb gringo camping alone wasn't a threat. They move off aways and I figured it was time to go.

For an old fat guy I moved fairly rapidly to the front seat and when my butt actually hit the drivers seat my right hand and right foot were simultaneously turning the key and mashing the throttle. I was out'ta there.

Anyway, sleeping in my Jeep when its cold and rainy or arriving late to the camping site, I will sleep in the back of my JK. It's surprisingly handy at times.

Sad state of affair in America these days.....

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:My wife and I have, when predators are present-

Sawmillllakejune12020-1.jpg

IMG_0613_zps1d968d95.jpg

IMG_0616_zps1a11ac35.jpg

I'm about 6'4" now and it's not like sleeping in my Calif. King, but safety first !

I can get 72" on the passenger side--OK

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Sandlapper3396

I have on about a half dozen occasions. Don't have a setup like the previous posts. Just an fold down the back seat and inflate an air mattress.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I tired sleeping in mine with the seat folded forward and for me, is very uncomfortable, as the seats don't lay completely flat. Here's what I'm working with (this is the NEMO JK, but I'd have the same set up). Apparently AT has advertised a flip up portion of the front part (right behind the passenger seat) to fill the gap and lengthen the sleeping platform. However, I gather from another post, it's not available or you have to special request it.

umybutat.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Judoka

Learning To Live
I am 5'10'' and I find that If I put the passenger seat all the way forward, amd stuff the holes with pillows I can sleep quite comfortably for the night. Not at all a long-term solution, but it works a couple of nights a week when I dont want to drive an hour home. Tonight in fact is one of those nights! Long term I would either build a platform or do an Ursa-Minor Or Habitat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles