Do you regret buying a base model truck?

Redheddedwonder

With the markup on some of these fancy trucks so high, it makes me wonder if it’s even worth it. I personally would enjoy a mid level truck, but some left over base models, such as 2019 Ram Tradesman for example, can be found for some really low prices. Leaving money on the table for mods, campers, etc. I know base models have less stuff which also means less to break as well.

So does anyone regret buying a base model truck? Do you wish for all the amenities? Are there any features that you wish you had? And if so can those features be added aftermarket or later on?

used trucks can be so expensive it has me comparing to these new leftover models!

Redheddedwonder

I had a loaded F150 Platinum FX4.
Loved the truck.
Did not regret it one bit. Spent a lot of time on the road and the heated / massage seats were a blessing for me and Ms Hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Glad you like it! Heated seats are a big one that we would enjoy, I prefer heated cloth seats. I have looked into aftermarket options for those so right now it’s not a deal breaker!

Explorerinil

Observer
I’ve had both, stripped down tradesman trucks, fully loaded gmc Denali duramax and now a fully loaded power wagon. I’ve heard, and used to say that I liked the lower trim trucks because there is less to go bad, I’ve found that to be total bs with the acception of the Denali, which was the single worst thing I’ve ever bought. I now prefer a loaded truck with heated and cooled seats, large gps nav, etc. it makes long trips allot more comfortabl.

as far as costs go, I bought my fully loaded power wagon, minus ramboxes for 52k... that’s not bad.

Redheddedwonder

I’ve had both, stripped down tradesman trucks, fully loaded gmc Denali duramax and now a fully loaded power wagon. I’ve heard, and used to say that I liked the lower trim trucks because there is less to go bad, I’ve found that to be total bs with the acception of the Denali, which was the single worst thing I’ve ever bought. I now prefer a loaded truck with heated and cooled seats, large gps nav, etc. it makes long trips allot more comfortabl.

as far as costs go, I bought my fully loaded power wagon, minus ramboxes for 52k... that’s not bad.

I’ve had to rent some cars recently due to the way travel is right now and the cooled seats are pretty cool! We have been using a iPad for nav, music, gps in the van and have enjoyed it, so I think we would still have that mounted somewhere for nav.
I found a 2019 Ram Tradesman 3500 Cummins for $45k. It got me thinking about this stuff. My wife’s car is loaded but it’s a daily driver, this new truck won’t be.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
The tradesman has enough to keep me happy. Air, PW, PDL, tilt, Cruise, nice radio, keyless entry. For the 20K in savings over the most loaded, I think I can manage..

To me All Dodge seats blow, they leave much to be desired on every level. Maybe the cowboy boot leather heated and cooled are comfortable? But for 20K they can stick them.
I had better seats in my 92 Z-71 than my 4th gen Ram, 10 times over.

Redheddedwonder

The tradesman has enough to keep me happy. Air, PW, PDL, tilt, Cruise, nice radio, keyless entry. For the 20K in savings over the most loaded, I think I can manage..

To me All Dodge seats blow, they leave much to be desired on every level. Maybe the cowboy boot leather heated and cooled are comfortable? But for 20K they can stick them.
I had better seats in my 92 Z-71 than my 4th gen Ram, 10 times over.

Good to know on the seats! My thoughts were to replace the seats with some aftermarket and then it really just comes down the the fancy features. I have never personally liked leather seats anyways.

Oilbrnr

With RAMs there are a fair amount of things you can add back in if you're willing to do a little work with AlfaOBD. My PW was essentially one step above a Tradesman in that it (thankfully) had the 8.2 Uconnect with NAV (NAV is a useless options on anything other than a Tesla IMHO). 8.2's can be added to a Poverty Package Tradesman but it is a bit more involved.

I've since added factory remote start (keyless is also possible), auto climate control with voice control, rear steering wheel audio controls, floorboard courteously lights, etc. Most of the pigtails for these features were already there, just taped up.

I don't buy into the whole 'more crap to break' BS either, unless your talking GM, then I agree. No 8.2 (err whatever is current) Uconnect on a RAM out of the box would be a deal breaker for me personally knowing what I do now.

Redheddedwonder

With RAMs there are a fair amount of things you can add back in if you're willing to do a little work with AlfaOBD. My PW was essentially one step above a Tradesman in that it (thankfully) had the 8.2 Uconnect with NAV (NAV is a useless options on anything other than a Tesla IMHO). 8.2's can be added to a Poverty Package Tradesman but it is a bit more involved.

I've since added factory remote start (keyless is also possible), auto climate control with voice control, rear steering wheel audio controls, floorboard courteously lights, etc. Most of the pigtails for these features were already there, just taped up.

I don't buy into the whole 'more crap to break' BS either, unless your talking GM, then I agree. No 8.2 (err whatever is current) Uconnect on a RAM out of the box would be a deal breaker for me personally knowing what I do now.
Adding factory remote start would be cool. Are you saying that those features can’t be added without the 8.2 screen added? Or just the ones related to climate control, voice control etc?

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Realistically you'll never regret having stuff you never use on your truck.

I've never heard a single person [in person] who bought a up-trimmed truck and wish they had bought something lower than it.... I mean I've seen plenty of people on forums, this one included, wax poetically about base model trucks, but at the end of the day hypotheticals and the real world are two different things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles