Do you regret buying a base model truck?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I just went to a fleet dealer after getting frustrated that none of the local-to-me dealers had a basic reg cab, 4x4, short wheelbase truck. Fleet dudes knew exactly what I wanted and found one for me almost exactly like I wanted. The price took care of that "almost" for me.

A plow truck? Tons of f350's like that over here every fall.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
So you have to buy a plane ticket. No big deal.

Inventory is all online, for any decent dealer now.

bahn112

I've had base model vehicles in the past; '08 Sierra CCSB and a '13 JK come to mind. Pretty sure that on both of those the only option listed was A/C. Both had manual locks and manual windows. Didn't mind it all that much but have also had fairly loaded models of vehicles and never regretted having the extra niceties/options. Currently driving a '19 PowerWagon with a decent # of options and love it. Ventilated seats are awesome in Socal.

MTVR

You wanna talk "base model"? Our truck didn't even come with locking doors or a keyed starter switch.

A keyed starter switch was only $24 with free shipping, but a pair of key-locking outside door handles was $375, and I had to remove the passenger seats and several armor plates to even reach them...

NoChance3434

So before the 15 Ram 2500 Laramie that Im in now I had a 13 1500 Express/tradesman model and I wont go back. Road trips and daily driving are just so much more comfortable in the higher trim models and if Im spending everyday in a vehicle its more than worth the added costs to upgrade.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Nope. Base model truck with a couple options ******

All I’d want over the base work truck would be cruise control (for long boring drives), tilt wheel (for the short wife) and a/c. That’s it. I’d say pretty much, screw every else fancy. I never even replaced the batteries in my key fobs when they died.

I’ve very happily lived all of these many years without a nav screen (hell, I still don’t even have a smart phone), without all that lane warning stuff, without a backup camera, TPMS, without the 8+ speaker stereo with tweeters...yada, yada, yada. My wife got a new, fully loaded Outback last year and I don’t even want to drive it (and so I don’t)...it’s got way too much fancy stuff for me to learn with all of its complicated electronics.

MTVR

I am not a fan of gratuitous gadgets. I did not order the robotized headlights on my Porsche. But my wife did on her European Delivery BMW Track Pack car, and I find this video absolutely amazing:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
LMTV joke?

All I’d want over the base work truck would be cruise control (for long boring drives), tilt wheel (for the short wife) and a/c. That’s it. I’d say pretty much, screw every else fancy. I never even replaced the batteries in my key fobs when they died.

I’ve very happily lived all of these many years without a nav screen (hell, I still don’t even have a smart phone), without all that lane warning stuff, without a backup camera, TPMS, without the 8+ speaker stereo with tweeters...yada, yada, yada. My wife got a new, fully loaded Outback last year and I don’t even want to drive it (and so I don’t)...it’s got way too much fancy stuff for me to learn with all of its complicated electronics.

Base models all have cruise, AC and tilt. Fords also have telescoping steering, something the Dodges sorely lack.

For a shiny nickle, the FORD XL blah blah package adds power windows, power and heated mirrors, and power locks. After that, the only option I want is Fx4 elocker and skid plates.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
LMTV joke?

Base models all have cruise, AC and tilt. Fords also have telescoping steering, something the Dodges sorely lack.

For a shiny nickle, the FORD XL blah blah package adds power windows, power and heated mirrors, and power locks. After that, the only option I want is Fx4 elocker and skid plates.
Agreed on the telescoping wheel. I've got power adjustable pedals but a telescoping wheel would sure complete the package. What would it cost a $100/vehicle with mass production? Our 05 Honda Pilot could use it too.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
LMTV joke?

You're stuck with manual seats and their one size fits all setting. When I got my '07 Dodge I wanted the ST with power seats but had to go to the SLT in order to get them. In retrospect thugh I'm glad I did.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Power seats would be nice.

My Ford manual seat makes it to a few comfortable positions for me though. The Dodge gets close, but since the steering wheel is 3-4" too close to the dash, no luck. I think with telescopic steering it would be just as good.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
And here I thought you were kidding with the screen name? Pics or it didn't happen!

05c2065183fb2319b56dad39f4192652.jpg

MTVR

Like the truck itself, my pics are apparently too big to post here.

Our MTVR is an AMK23- it was an armored gun truck attached to a Marine special forces unit.

The Michelin radial tires are 53" tall, weigh 500 pounds each, and are beadlocked with runflat inserts. The truck weighs about 30,000 pounds empty, and is 12 feet tall (we look DOWN into 18-wheel tractor-trailer rigs). It can ford five feet of water. It's 62,200 pound GVWR gives it a payload capacity of 30,000 pounds. It is powered by an 11.9-liter (730 cubic inch) Cat turbodiesel engine with 425 horsepower and 1,550 pounds of torque. It has a heavy-duty 7-speed Allison double-overdrive automatic transmission, and with it's 58:1 crawl ratio, the transmission is programmed to start out in second gear, unless specifically commanded to go all the way down into the basement for first gear. It has a torque differentiating full-time all-wheel-drive transfer case, five selectable lockers, six wheel fully indepedent coil spring suspension (16" travel front, 13" travel rear), CTIS, ABS, traction control, power steering, adjustable air-ride seat, and even has air conditioning. It is governed to a maximum speed of 65 mph.

The U.S. government originally paid about $250,000 for it new. After putting about 3,000 miles on it (that is not a typo), they sent it to auction, where we sniped it for $15,500, which was about a $235,000 discount.

When it was delivered, I had another officer (who had served in the Marines) take a look at it- after driving it and crawling all over it to inspect it, he said that we'd basically purchased a brand-new truck.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles