Do you leave your RTT mounted?

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
Just curious for those of you who have an RTT on a vehicle you use regularly.

During camping season, do you leave your RTT mounted or do you take it off between trips?

I go on a trip about once a month through the summer and have been considering an RTT. One issue I am concerned about is whether I end up leaving it mounted or installing and un-installing it onto the roof rack each time.

Thoughts?

enzo

Explorer
I have always left my RTTs mounted, but my trucks aren't daily driven.

Last edited:

xpdishn

Adventurer
I leave mine on all the time for 3 reasons:
1. I have a shop/garage that I can get the RTT out of the elements;
2. It's too heavy to easily take off and on; (even if I had a shop ceiling storage system, number 3 would trump taking it off)
3. My roof rack (BajaRack) is so low to the roof of my rig that's it's a PITA to get at the bolts.

And my truck is not a DD.

Last edited:

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
My rig is a DD
I do not have a garage where my rig fits
It would be a pain on the *** to take on/off all the time...
My tent in on the top year round.....

4RunAmok

Explorer
I have the Oasis II, only 40 pounds, and I use Gibraltar quick release clamps to attach it to the roof rack...

Easily removable, so I keep it in the closet when we're not camping.

If I can get a Maggiolina at a price I can afford, I might leave that on full time.

Explorer
I have a game hoist bolted up in the rafters of my garage so i can easily raise and lower my 1400 t-top. It mounts easily with 4 nuts.

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
My Jeep won't fit through a normal garage door if I add a roof rack since I'm already on 35s with 3.5" of lift. So sadly a hoist system is not an option for me.

I may have to leave it on for the summer months and just remove during the offseason.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Mounted year round. I have one that has been mounted for 6? years and other that has been on 3 years. I plan to replace covers every 2-3 years.

kramme

Observer
I have a Med Airtop that I keep on permanently on a Honda Element it does not fit into the garage to use a lift

- Very handy for last min decisions to take a trip
- Not my daily driver but I do use it alot for local running around (i forget it is there)

lrover109

I take our E-A in Nov and put it back on in May -easy to do 4 bolts and a buddy to help lift it off takes less than 20 miutes we have a low garage so have to take the rack off to get it in out of the winter rain - it is a Series Rover after all so not the most waterproof rig on the road

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
I used to take it off between trips, but what a pain. I now leave the RTT full time and it is my daily driver. If I had a good lift system, I would reconsider.

bjm206

Adventurer
My RTT is removed when not in use. The RTT has an meaningful impact on handling and fuel economy when installed. Also the loader on my tractor makes putting it on and taking it off fairly simple.

motoz

Adventurer
I leave ours mounted full time also. It's great being able to just jump in the car and go somewhere at short notice.

5udujy6u.jpg

toymaster

Explorer
Wow, more people leave there's on than I would have thought. Driving a JK, which is a rolling brick, I would think an owner would not want to make a problem worse. I guess the key is to make the chore easier and quicker. I guess this is another advantage of having a dedicated camping trailer; my RTT does live on top of the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94