Do you have/use an oven?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Designing my interior and have come to the range vs cooktop decision. I know I want a couple burners but do I want to sacrifice the space needed for an oven? If you use your oven, what for? I don't bake often even at home but the "just add water" muffins are probably my most common use, that and pillsbury biscuits...but I just don't know if I'd ever want to make those (or something else) on a year long roadtrip through Central/South America. Input?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Designing my interior and have come to the range vs cooktop decision. I know I want a couple burners but do I want to sacrifice the space needed for an oven? If you use your oven, what for? I don't bake often even at home but the "just add water" muffins are probably my most common use, that and pillsbury biscuits...but I just don't know if I'd ever want to make those (or something else) on a year long roadtrip through Central/South America. Input?

We've never had much use for an oven. We have a micro-convection in the camper and we use the microwave (to microwave vegetables mainly) but have never use the convection part.

Biscuits are best when done in a cast iron skillet. :)

If you do not bake often, an oven does little for you that can not be accomplished on the range with proper vessels or in a convection-microwave. A convection toaster oven makes a nice travel oven for two if you have the means to power one.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've got one of the Coleman ovens that I have only used a couple of times. My camp Dutch ovens* on the other hand have been used quite a bit for everything from bread to casseroles to fish to stews to desserts to.... Heavy, awkward and space consuming but great for cooking all sorts of stuff. If I were going to drive to Central or South America I would probaby bring the ten inch one.

*Flat top type with legs for use with coals; the top is also usable as a skillet

Honu

lost on the mainland
dutch oven
since burn bans are often here we use the camp chef dome thing on a propane stove and bake with it :)

2015-05-24_(09-20-25).jpg

2014-08-29_(19-26-09).jpg

Jason911

Adventurer
12volt Brunton oven works pretty well. Doesn't get much above 250F, but is very well insulated and good for on the road use.

Tazman

Adventurer
dutch oven
since burn bans are often here we use the camp chef dome thing on a propane stove and bake with it :)

2015-05-24_(09-20-25).jpg

2014-08-29_(19-26-09).jpg

Yummy. I'm sold. Just placed an order for a Lodge model. We use Dutch ovens at home all the time, using our oven. I'm going to start practicing at home using my Webber grill as the platform. Going to start slow and work my way up to Cheff. My wife is going to get a good Camping Dutch Oven cook book. Any favorite recipices or favorites to share?

blackwood

Adventurer
oven.jpg

Saw this oven while camping in AZ a few weeks back. I guess this must have been someone's favorite spot and he built a concrete oven out there.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I did a write up on the stove cover thingy somewhere here:)

for doing breads I found at least I roll up some tin foil and coil it like a small riser space of air that I put on the bottom to keep the bread a bit away from the pan when using the camp chef dome ?
also I find I don't use the dutch oven lids when using the dome thingy :)
it took a bit of practice to get better with and it works different than my partner than what I was practicing with using my large camp chef burner at home
I do use those steel discs that go below the pot they sell to that I guess helps disperse the heat ?

any recipe one uses for dutch ovens just allows you to use propane when burn bans are in also IMHO way cleaner and of course for things like breakfast at camp no putting out coals etc..
that chicken biscuits one I know my kids love and is easy cause I cheat :)
pop open biscuit thing from the grocery store pack of chicken gravy and can of cream of chicken soup and chicken
basically brown the chicken in the pot then throw in the soup and milk and the gravy pack mix together when it thickens I think I use 1.5-2 cans or so of milk I usually kinda eye ball it :) throw the biscuit dough on and cover with lid I think about 20 minutes ? I love the sleight gooey bottom of the biscuits reminds me of dumpling my wife not so much so I often take a few biscuits before cooking and just brown one side on a pan ?
I have also used baking mix and make our own biscuit topping then drop little pieces all over easier both ways are good one has a bit more clean up making your own topping(bowl for dough) vs a touch more garbage (biscuit container) and the pop biscuit is truly a one pan meal :)

Yummy. I'm sold. Just placed an order for a Lodge model. We use Dutch ovens at home all the time, using our oven. I'm going to start practicing at home using my Webber grill as the platform. Going to start slow and work my way up to Cheff. My wife is going to get a good Camping Dutch Oven cook book. Any favorite recipices or favorites to share?

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
cool :)
I would say practice a bunch at home with the dome thing :) I did that quite a bit and burnt a lot of stuff learning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz