Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclovinal

I almost always carry a rifle when i'm in the forest. In Alabama there are some.... odd folks that go out to the forest to do questionable things. Many of those people would be livid and possibly violent if disturbed. I carry my Winchester 30-30 when I'm in my Jeep, usually, although I recently got a Kel-Tec Folding 9mm Carbine that I think would fit better, and take up less space. Plus being Semi-Auto would be a plus. I have always liked rifles more than pistols. They are safer and more accurate, but most importantly, I'm not 21 so I can't buy a pistol. Haha. I probably will get one once I can though. Rifles are hard to bring backpacking.

DSCF4260.jpg

(I don't have a pic of the kel-tec, but here is one from Kel-Tec's website that is what I hope mine will look like after I get the Forend in... Haha.)
sub-2000.jpg

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
he just said "my opinion". maybe he doesnt think the 2nd is currently pertinent, and should be reconsidered or amended.

While I would hate to step on someone right to express themselves, when that opinion is based on ignorance and that ignorance is allowed to vote, then it is subject to judgment. The 2nd amendment is just as pertinent now as it was when it was written, maybe more so. Do you really think our government has our best interest in mind? Do you really think that it is "okay" to relinquish our rights in the name of entitlements and supposed personal safety? The fall of the 2nd amendment is sure to precede the fall of the 1st 3rd and 4th with the 5th, 6th, and 14th to follow.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
While I would hate to step on someone right to express themselves, when that opinion is based on ignorance and that ignorance is allowed to vote, then it is subject to judgment. The 2nd amendment is just as pertinent now as it was when it was written, maybe more so. Do you really think our government has our best interest in mind? Do you really think that it is "okay" to relinquish our rights in the name of entitlements and supposed personal safety? The fall of the 2nd amendment is sure to precede the fall of the 1st 3rd and 4th with the 5th, 6th, and 14th to follow.

X2

goin camping

Explorer
I bring a pistol which is out of sight but handy and often bring rifles just for plinking. That's the beauty of living and camping in the desert. Few folks and lots of space.

grogie

Like to Camp
Last time I was camping in the Michigan U.P. last September, around 2 am I woke up to the sound of someone that walked right next to my tent. There was no reason to pass through my camping spot. Apart of my setup are bright motion detector lights, which went off as when I heard the person's shoes in the dirt (a distinctive sound when it's otherwise perfectly quiet!), I immediately opened my eyes and noticed that the lights were on and that I wasn't dreaming it. I always have a Glock at my side so I grabbed it, and bolted out of my tent. No one was around, thankfully.

I assume the lights spooked the person, if they were up to no good? That freaked me out as that's been my biggest concern about being in a tent where you can't see what's going on around you. The campsite was near several towns, where usually I camp further away from people and have never had that happen. Maybe someone was looking for stuff to grab? My wife just thought I got up to go to the bathroom, which I just let her think that. :Wow1:

I also keep a 12 gauge with a 18-1/2" barrel with me too. I grew up always having firearms around when camping or being in the woods, or just in the house too.

Kiwi-Yank

Adventurer
I sure hope nobody is planning on shooting a stranger just because they walked thru yourcampsite. I agree its bizarre behavior, but have had it happen to my own family. Some people who camp have no social skills, or just are not firing on all cylinders. That doesnt make them dangerous. Annoying maybe ... But a legitimate target - NO.

Common sense and good judgment - needed in big proportions.

K-Y

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I sure hope nobody is planning on shooting a stranger just because they walked thru yourcampsite. I agree its bizarre behavior, but have had it happen to my own family. Some people who camp have no social skills, or just are not firing on all cylinders. That doesnt make them dangerous. Annoying maybe ... But a legitimate target - NO.

K-Y

Where in any of that post did he say he as going to shoot him?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

grogie

Like to Camp

K-Y

Thanks for sharing your common sense with me, but who was planning? :jump:

Last edited:

red_5

Adventurer
I'd no more head out into the boonies without a rifle than I would without provisions, water, extra fuel, etc.

I'll share an experience I had a couple years ago where the presence of a firearm (on my part) brought a situation to peaceful conclusion that otherwise might have gone very badly for everyone involved.

This took place at a campground, somewhat off the beaten path out in the boonies, hours from the nearest emergency services and way out of cel range. There were a few other campers around, so we'd set up in a spot a distance away from other campers so as not to disturb anyone. It was after dark, and I was getting ready to bed down (my wife and young son were already in bed), my dog was leashed to a camp chair and I was cleaning up camp just after dark when I heard voices heading our way immediately followed by a couple of bocce balls coming into our camp, one nearly hitting my dog. I looked toward the voices and direction the balls came from and saw three guys headed our way like they owned the world. There was plenty of space on all sides of us, so there wasn't any good reason for them to be near our camp other than they wanted to be there. As they approached within 50 feet or so the dog started a low growl, and I politely asked them if they wouldn't mind taking there game to a part of the campground that wasn't occupied and rolled their bocce balls back their direction with my foot. One immediately started yelling at me with attitude called me an ******* with poor sportsmanship and that maybe I needed to shut up. I responded that I was merely asking them to respect the boundaries of my camp site and there was plenty of room for everyone, so if they wouldn't mind simply taking there game to an open part of the campground, I'd appreciate it. Then one of the wingmen started in on me with something about a "lesson" (all the while they were steadily approaching and about 25 feet from me). I decided at that point that since their errant bocce balls were within their reach, the dog was growling at them and they were still coming, it was their intention to do me (or my family) some 3 vs 1 harm and if they continued to pursue this course of action and came inside the boundary of my site I would be forced to draw my sidearm to address the situation before they got close enough to get hands on me (or worse, get my family involved). At this point, I was on full alert and my demeanor had shifted from polite to ready to engage. I faced them square on and told them in clear, calm voice loud enough to be heard at a distance (so that if I was forced to engage, my warning would be heard by other campers) to please stay out of my campsite and leave us alone. The first guy started running his mouth again and continued moving toward me when I saw number three look directly at my holstered side arm (I don't think they realized I was armed until they got close), look me in the face and then grab mr. mouth, telling him that they should just take their game to the other end of the campground. Three said something to mr. mouth that I couldn't hear, but it shut him up and all three were suddenly very polite, immediately moving away saying "Sorry for disturbing you", picked up their balls and left. I stayed up for a while after keeping an eye out and thinking about how close I'd come to having to point a firearm at another person and my resolve in doing whatever had to be done to ensure the safety of my family and myself. Thankfully, that was the last I saw of them.

At no time did I raise my voice (aside from the last warning), lay a hand on my sidearm or indicate that I was going to do anything but stand there and talk. I am 100% certain that if I hadn't been armed, the outcome would have been less peaceful and given the odds of three younger combatants vs myself (or my wife and child). An interesting point is that none of the three qualified as what I'd call a "Shifty looking" character. If they'd been nice, they'd have fit right into the "normal person" mold.

Obviously, this is not a typical scenario but it does demonstrate that not everyone you meet wants to be your friend and help isn't always a 911 call away. I look at carrying firearms as an insurance policy against exactly this kind of thing. There's no way to predict when you might need such a policy (hopefully never) or be entirely on your own to resolve a situation where the odds are stacked against you. Having every tool available to increase your odds is simply being prepared and prudent.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
I'd no more head out into the boonies without a rifle than I would without provisions, water, extra fuel, etc.

Your story reminds me of the adage you never need a firearm till you need one badly...
r-
Ray

hairy_apple

Adventurer
I ran into a "grow" up here in Grass Valley when I was 17.. as soon as we saw a crappy looking trailer down a road where there shouldn't have been anyone, we turned around and left quickly realizing what was there. About 10 minutes later, back on the main road we had stopped and were looking at something and the truck that had been parked next to the trailer showed up and without warning started shooting at us. I don't know how 3 of us managed to run across the road the and get in my FJ40 in about half a second but we did. The guy chased us for about 10 minutes shooting at us. It was the most scared I've ever been in my whole life. Finally we got far enough ahead of him I ducked down into a lower trail and he flew past on the main road not seeing we had gone down into the valley, I turned around and went back out the way we came in as fast as we could. I've never gone into the woods without a firearm since. Too far away from help and most people who would do you harm know that. I'm not the only person I know that's had something like that happen due to the "cash crop" that grows so well in the foothills.

And then just two years ago I had another encounter with idiots who greatly reinforced my feelings about being armed while camping. A bunch of drunk rednecks showed up at 4AM, drove through our campsite, between our two tents which were barely far enough apart for a Jeep to fit through. They started hooting and yelling about how they were here for our women and turn them over or some random crap like that. They stopped by the edge of the lake and another camp site. We climbed out of our tents and were watching them, which I guess set them off somehow... they started screaming at us about all sorts of random things. Called us bible thumpers? Don't know what they were on or if they were just nuts but it was a very scary encounter. They came over and were really acting tough.. until they saw that we were all armed. Then they just backed off back to the other camp site and sat there drinking... still talking tough, but not longer walking over to us threatening us. We just sat up by the fire all night and waited for it to get light enough to pack up and leave. I would have left right away, but it was just too dark and we had a boat floating in the lake nearby.. it was just too much stuff too spread out to get out quickly.

Between those two encounters, I do not even consider going into the woods, even for a day trip, without being armed. Just too many weird people in the world who would do harm just because they can.. or because they are hiding what THEY are doing in the woods. Sad reality but it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles