Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysol

Explorer
I think that threads like this will continue to pop up on forums everywhere (and have already for years). All the debating aside, I at least hope that little by little, people from both sides of the argument will soften up to the other side's opinion. This is going to be an issue based on passion, fear, and patriotism for years to come and laws could sway either way many times.

With that said, it seems that the normal response in debate threads like this is someone stating a point and then a reason which is either a fact or personal opinion backing up their point. The point isn't the cause of frustration between posters here, it's the opinion. I feel the downfall in threads like this is when people post their opinions very quickly and hastily without reading it over a few times. It is very easy to type your opinion and accidentally offend half the people in here because of a poor choice of words.

brentbba

Explorer
. He also has extensive training, which makes me feel more comfortable about his approach to this issue.

This absolutely Christophe!

Camped with a few folks several years ago in Monache Meadows. Area know for wildlife like bears, etc. (bears is another discussion on another thread). I know both guys. I know one is a licensed FFL and certified NRA instructor. He practices what he preaches on ownership, safety, etc. and I feel very comfortable around him knowing he's carrying. The other guy is...well I won't go there and I got a little nervous when I found out he was carrying too. There are all types and two sides to the argument. Personally, I don't currently even own, much less carry, but I've been seriously considering it. Started where I personally think anyone should starting out - classes on safety, more safety and now several hours at a range learning and learning some more. I read with great interest the fantastic thread Scott wrote on his multi-day class in AZ a few months back. Learned just from reading that about things to think about and consider.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I'd put it like this. My 4Runner has 312,000 miles on it. It still has the original spare tire. It's never been out from under the truck, although I do check it for pressure on occasion. Should I just do away with it because I haven't needed it yet?

I've used my firearm as a defensive tool more than I've used my spare tire.

I don't think that a firearm is the end of all altercations, but if faced with choosing between having one as a fall back vs. hoping to talk my way out of a situation, well, I've never been a very good conversationalist.

rgallant

Adventurer
That may be a difference in predators

I still stand by my point I do not see any necessity to carry a weapon camping and I would go as far to that that the idea would be not even be considered by every person I have travelled with in Australia.

Statistics or not I thing that the Idea of carrying a handgun or semi auto centre fire rifle has more to do with the U.S. Right to carry these kinds of weapons rather then the need to carry them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is a valid and reasonable opinion particularly for your part of the world. Here in BC on an average 3 day outing I see a lot of black bears, the odd grizzly, moose, elk and at least once a cougar. All those animals with exception of the cougar range from around 500lbs for black bear to over 1500lb for a moose. All of them can be very dangerous if you are on foot and either surprise them or catch them on a off day.

Now when I see them I tend to reach for my camera, not my shotgun. As I have said before I have never needed to use the shotgun, but fly fishing around forest lakes and streams can lead to some very close encounters and I would rather have the shotgun than not.

A handgun is not option here, and even it was would not be my 1st choice both because I am simply not a good enough shot with one and they have less overall utility in taking game in the event I had to do so. The last is the same reason I don't carry a rifle, a shotgun allows me to take anything from deer to small game simply by changing ammo. My 303 has a far more limited range of use that way.

S

Squatchout

A while back I posted on another Forum a link to the "Congo" travelog here. A most amazing story. A few responded that the young couple were nuts to travel in that territory without a gun. I replied that in any given situation I'd rather have my wit's than a gun. A few experienced vets concurred. Especially in situations where you were vastly out numbered. Over the years of cycling and backpacking I've not felt much need for carrying a weapon. In the last few years I've changed a bit on that. I'm not quite the imposing hulk I was when younger. And the places I frequent have changed. Here in the east the Forest Service is so under staffed that 1 officer patrols huge amounts of national forest alone. They have enough to keep them busy with the drunk kids in the campgrounds. It seems to be way worse than in our day but that may be perspective. However bears are coming back with a big rush here in the east. But campers aren't keeping up. Out west folks take precautions. For decades here we had no need to so campers tend to be sloppy with being bear bait. The bears learn fast. And the area's we frequent lately are coming with official warnings of meth labs ect. Something that just didn't exist a few years before. Also I just like to target shoot. The couple of National Forests I frequent have nice ranges so we usually bring rifles for that reason and try to make a range day while we are there. So I at times do have a firearm with me where it is legal when camping. Though I don't normally carry for protection. In recent years though I've had more creepy and bizarre human encounters then in decades past. Enough so that a couple of times I felt better knowing we had weapons with us though they were never needed or shown. The world is getting smaller and weirder. The same social forces that are making people crazy these days in the cities seem to be spilling over into the woods.

Last edited:

Arclight

SAR guy
In many overseas places, the criminals are organized and for all practical purposes, indistinguishable from the official police/military. They might even be the same people moonlighting or fighting for the other side in a civil war. Being armed isn't going to make things better when there's overwhelming force, and possibly an antagonist that can decide they were on "official business" after the fact. In places where weapons are uncommon, it's also a huge red flag that you're one of the "combatants."

You're best off taking advantage of info from other travellers/locals/the school teacher/whomever and staying ahead of trouble. Your next best option is probably having some cash to hand over and being purposeful about leaving.

In the USA however, we have a lot of land where police can be hours away. And our problem people tend to be druggies or crazies that live in the woods. You don't have to be travelling with a personal army to dissuade most these types - you just have to be able to make a show of force and keep them from talking themselves into whatever it was they were thinking of. Having a bunch of surly-looking people (who might be armed) is ideal. When it's just you, having a weapon is the next best thing.

Arclight

A while back I posted on another Forum a link to the "Congo" travelog here. A most amazing story. A few responded that the young couple were nuts to travel in that territory without a gun. I replied that in any given situation I'd rather have my wit's than a gun. A few experienced vets concurred. Especially in situations where you were vastly out numbered. Over the years of cycling and backpacking I've not felt much need for carrying a weapon. In the last few years I've changed a bit on that. I'm not quite the imposing hulk I was when younger. And the places I frequent have changed. Here in the east the Forest Service is so under staffed that 1 officer patrols huge amounts of national forest alone. They have enough to keep them busy with the drunk kids in the campgrounds. It seems to be way worse than in our day but that may be perspective. However bears are coming back with a big rush here in the east. But campers aren't keeping up. Out west folks take precautions. For decades here we had no need to so campers tend to be sloppy with being bear bait. The bears learn fast. And the area's we frequent lately are coming with official warnings of meth labs ect. Something that just didn't exist a few years before. Also I just like to target shoot. The couple of National Forests I frequent have nice ranges so we usually bring rifles for that reason and try to make a range day while we are there. So I at times do have a firearm with me where it is legal when camping. Though I don't normally carry for protection. In recent years though I've had more creepy and bizarre human encounters then in decades past. Enough so that a couple of times I felt better knowing we had weapons with us though they were never needed or shown. The world is getting smaller and weirder. The same social forces that are making people crazy these days in the cities seem to be spilling over into the woods.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I love this thread. So many interesting responses. Me though, I'd just as soon not tell the whole world whether I do or don't.

402xjeeper

Observer
I have been in situations where being armed stopped a crime without action on my part, just the visual detergent of the gun on the hip. If you encounter bears, the last thing to do is shoot them, a hand held stun gun (not a taser, no projectiles,) makes them run like crazy just from the sound of the arc, while they often come to the sound of a gunshot looking to scavenge a hunters gut pile. Bear spray for the next step, although I have never had to use it, the stun gun worked every time so far. Guns are f [r use on people, not bears, snakes, or coyotes (unless hunting them), so choose a gun for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior