Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modeler

W1DCS
You can get a Utah (even as an out of state person) CCL that covers you for 31 states (used to be 32 but one state just dropped reciprocity recently, forget which one though). I still haven't taken that class and applied yet.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
If you are overlanding, what weapon do you use? You can't carry a gun because of all of the different state laws on conceal-carry? What about bear spray? Seems that would be better than nothing.

Simply knowing the laws of the areas you will be traveling should be your first step. Many overland travelers carry their firearms. That is not to say everyone is conceal carry/ open carry all the time. ALL states in the US allow for the transport of firearms in some capacity. If you are a CC permit holder there is a large list of states that accept the permit from other states. For example a Florida CC permit is honored in 33 other states. entering other countries is another issue such as Canada. I am not 100% on their rules but I believe you are able to declare a rifle as you can with Mexico for specific things like hunting. Just be sure to get your paper work in well in advance. My father almost got into serious trouble on a hunt in Mexico when the outfitter failed to submit the proper paper work.

Bear spray is good, but like a firearm it does have it's downside. There has been instances where the user failed to use it properly but that is far and few in between. I will agree to disagree with others on the subject. My own extensive time on the outdoors, not only as a hunter but as a wildlife photographer have proven to me that not all dangerous situations can be avoided unless you stay in the truck. I choose not to do that. As I have said before I generally do not need a gun for the 4 legged variety but I have been stalked by a bear in Idaho and a cougar in California. I have also walked ********** dab into illegal pot farms that I was more than happy to know I had a firearm. It is my preference.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Old thread I know but I ALWAYS carry with me. As a CC holder I carry on a daily basis so I always at least have SOMETHING with me. My daily carry is an xds .45 and a spare mag, but I also keep a full box of ammo for it in my Jeep. I spend a significant amount of time up in the mountains where my cabin is and I would never go up there without something. Considering I go there specifically to hunt bear I know they are there. On top of seeing bear I know there is also at least one mountain lion in the area as well.

Being in that area you can easily drive hours in logging roads and never see another person which can be a great problem should you get lost, hurt, or a mechanical failure you are unable to fix right there. Sure a CB has some uses but it is not going to save your life there. That being the case I always carry at least 2 other firearms with me when I head up there. I take an AR7 (survival rifle that fits into its own stock. I keep 3 loaded magazines) in it which stays in my backpack when I go backpacking. It is a nice thing to have should I go backpacking and get stranded away from my Jeep I at least have the 24 rounds of 22lr in the gun, plus a box of 50 I keep in my bag. Lightweight but it will put food on the plate if I need it. The other gun depends on the time of year it is. That gun normally stays in my Jeep or goes with me if I know I am heading into an area where there has been a lot of game activity (say I am going into an active bear site or I am on an extended trip. Depending on the season I will either take my AR15 with me or I will take my coach gun. Being that it is a SxS 12ga it is excellent for a defensive weapon as well as an excellent choice to hunt bird or rabbit with in season. Because it has 20" barrels and a shorter stock it is easy to carry compactly in a scabbard that is mounted any of my bags and deploys much quicker than any full size shotgun. There is much less of a chance to have a weapon failure being a SxS than there is for it to be a pump, bolt, or gas operated shotgun.

It is hard to pass up a nice fresh meal during hunting seasons if you are up there enjoying yourself. Same reason I keep a fishing pole that folds up in my bag as well.

Another reason I picked those weapons is the availability of ammo and them all being very common. You can find .22, .45, .225 (in my case I use 5.56), and 12ga anywhere. Should the need come up where I do get in a situation that I am stuck out in the woods that could take days/weeks to get out of I find some comfort knowing if I had to enter a camp/cabin (a lot of people leave a window unlocked specifically for people that are lost and need food/shelter) that I will probably find at least one of those rounds in that building. Its not something that should be counted on or even put to use, but it is definitely not something that should be overlooked. Your life could depend on it one day. For what it is worth I also keep a lifestraw, a saywer mini filter, and pretty much everything else one would need to survive should something happen on me when I am out of the vehicle hiking as well as a full kit in my Jeep when I know I will be mostly driving around.

Last edited:

SunFlower

Adventurer
The OP asked "do you feel the need..."

There first word "feel" isn't debatable but the second word "need" certain is.

For me personally, I feel much better and safer when I have a gun with me while camping. However, do you really need one ?

I have been camping in the eastern Sierras in California and Montana for about 27 years. I have never had a single instance where I needed a gun.

I can say this though, for peace of mind, I like having a gun with me. Just because I haven't needed one yet doesn't mean I wont need one in the future.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Lots of good opinions here, and it's all personal preference. Many good reasons for both, but whatever makes you comfortable is most important.

I carry a gun during hunting season, when I am hunting. If I am not hunting, it's just too much to carry around.

I carry bear spray and a bear-banger/flare-launcher-pen at all times when in the back-woods, and it is within hands-reach in my truck or my tent.

Any tool you carry, make sure you are proficient in its use, and it's kept safely from others as needed.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
Lots of good opinions here, and it's all personal preference. Many good reasons for both, but whatever makes you comfortable is most important.

I carry a gun during hunting season, when I am hunting. If I am not hunting, it's just too much to carry around.

I carry bear spray and a bear-banger/flare-launcher-pen at all times when in the back-woods, and it is within hands-reach in my truck or my tent.

Any tool you carry, make sure you are proficient in its use, and it's kept safely from others as needed.

Not sure I would say during non hunting season that a gun is too much to carry around. A full sized rifle sure, but something like a ar-7, m6 scout, or a pistol (I cc so its with me anyway) takes up little extra room and I dont see it as much of a hassle. Nice to have if needed.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Not sure I would say during non hunting season that a gun is too much to carry around. A full sized rifle sure, but something like a ar-7, m6 scout, or a pistol (I cc so its with me anyway) takes up little extra room and I dont see it as much of a hassle. Nice to have if needed.

I only shoot something when I plan to eat it. So if I am not hunting I'd rather deter an animal than kill it.
When I worked in the Mackenzie River Delta for the GSC when I was in University, there were a lot of bears and we worked solo. A couple of spoons tied to your pack and a bear banger was all we carried. But then, this is Canada,
If I am way up north where Polar bears will ignore the deterrent, then I want a full sized rifle with me. I wouldn't want anything smaller that a 30.06.

And to reiterate, my approach is not the only approach. If you feel more comfortable with a firearm in the woods, that's cool. Whatever works for you. I just want everyone who is in the woods to be trained on their gear, and on their environment, whatever they bring.

To quote the Big Lebowski, "sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I only shoot something when I plan to eat it. So if I am not hunting I'd rather deter an animal than kill it.
When I worked in the Mackenzie River Delta for the GSC when I was in University, there were a lot of bears and we worked solo. A couple of spoons tied to your pack and a bear banger was all we carried. But then, this is Canada,
If I am way up north where Polar bears will ignore the deterrent, then I want a full sized rifle with me. I wouldn't want anything smaller that a 30.06.

And to reiterate, my approach is not the only approach. If you feel more comfortable with a firearm in the woods, that's cool. Whatever works for you. I just want everyone who is in the woods to be trained on their gear, and on their environment, whatever they bring.

To quote the Big Lebowski, "sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not worried about deterring bear, moose, or whatever else. My thoughts are more along the lines of what if something happens while you are out. Say you break down and you are days from a place to get help, or some other reason to end up stranded out there. An ar-7 with two loaded mags (stores in the stock) gives you 16 shots for food. I am not sure about Canadas laws but here there is always something in season to shoot that you can eat. That is the biggest reason I keep one with me, but I also keep fishing gear handy.

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
I carry in the woods while I'm out. I carry in the city while I'm out. I carry everywhere I'm allowed. I've ran into bears, snakes, mt. lions, and some rather vicious two legged predators, however I've never had to unholster my pistol in defense. I have though taken it out to deter a black bear who wondered too close for my comfort ( Inside 10yds while flyfishing ) by shooting into the ground next to me. When I lived in Alaska I carried a 3" magnum 12ga with brenneke slugs. I personally like to carry in the woods for a lot of reasons. My biggest thing is people who look down on people who do. My mindset is we all carry a lot of gear in our trucks. We use SOME of it and the rest is for a situation that is just as likely as me having to kill something or someone in self defense. Before anyone jumps out and says that it's different than carrying a deadly piece of kit, I say it's a tool for a specific situation just like all the other tools we have are for. That being said if someone chooses not to carry in the woods, awesome. I will still go fishing with you, camping, what be it, and invite you and your family to my campsite for some freshly caught trout. If having to to adjust to an extra 35oz so I feel safe as well as my family does, I'll gladly bare it on my chest rig and move on with life. I'm also a religious man, and believe when it's your time, that's it, no extra innings, so I may be carrying around a 35oz tool for nothing!

To someone who asked about overlanding and carrying. It's your responsibility to look ahead of time at what state you're going to and what you're allowed to do or carry. I've been to states that didn't accept my Ga CWL but allowed me to bring my shotgun while camping, no big deal. I accepted that fact and made provisions around it. When I moved to Alaska, I was not allowed to bring a couple of my rifles or handguns through the border of Canada (however my bolt action rifles and all shotguns were allowed, don't know current regulations so don't take my word on it), so I had to ship them via FFL where I was going and I respected that to. While I want to be as safe as I possibly can, I love fishing and camping more than I like a jail cell.

I also grew up hunting and still do. I was taught a very young age in the mountains not to shoot anything you're not willing to pack out and eat. I hunt to provide food for my family and local homeless shelters. That being said, drawing down on an intrusive animal for me will be a last resort. I will make it's life a living hell so it doesn't come back before I kill it.

Bear spray to me is like a double edged sword. Yes I have some, but don't carry it. It's around camp though. On a black bear, yea ok, I can see it working. On a charging grizzly I'm not taking chances. To me it's more of deterrent as explained to me by a game warden in Alaska. He told me he's seen it against black and brown bears. On blacks he said it was pretty effective against an angry one, however on the grizzly/brown it showed little signs of even being sprayed. That's just what I was told and have no experience with the matter, but have read similar accounts. Just like pepper spray and tazers, they don't always work. He told me one time he was up wind of a big brown that was walking towards him, he sprayed a quick shot of the bear spray in the air and the bear stopped and turned away. Once again wasn't there, can't prove it, so idk. Though I do see spray as being better than rocks and a sharp stick, and a sharp stick is pretty damn effective.

Whatever someone chooses, just be responsible, you're affecting the way the rest of us live whether you care or not. Just my .02. I've read a lot of good info on here, but my biggest thing is I hope no one looks down on someone who chooses to carry.

Have a good one, and safe travels to all, Hudsen

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I've carried a firearm everyday without fail for the last 9 years; most everyday of the 10yrs prior to that. If I have pants on-I'm packin'!! Never fired a shot in anger, but have pulled it on a few occasions in the past to deter further aggression by some of the finer members of our society. Because I choose to exercise my right, there are a multitude of places that I'm not welcome; including some cities and entire States. Fine by me as I'd rather not support those kinds of places anyway.

R.G.

Dime Trucker
I keep my Beretta with me when traveling, or camping at the very least. I also keep a 22lr pistol handy. They are to versatile not to have. If, and when I bring a rifle on a long trip its the M1 Garand now. If Martians, Zombies or Martian Bear Zombies attack wile I'm on the road I will have a long distance buffer zone, and a good punch with the 30-06. Its also not an evil rifle with an A at the beginning of its name so I shouldn't get as much hassle or "Oh dear God" reactions from any one who sees it for what ever reason.

I use to live in the ghetto, I carried a gun no mater what. I'm just use to it.

Last edited:

kpredator

Adventurer
We never used to carry a firearm. We went on a extended trip to Alaska a few years ago .carried the 300
With us on that trip.carried it while fishing silvers.was never needed.
Also going thru canada with it was easy,had paperwork already done.border guard thanked us for being prepared.

In the states we now carry a 12 gauge and .22 rifle the wife likes to plink with the .22

Like earlier posters have stated. Awareness is your best defense.

Have left some areas as it just didn't feel right

Jm2c

Kp

Coby65

Observer
Having this thread in this particular category will elicit a certain percentage of answers of a given predilection. To offer an opinion from outside this sub category, I will put my answer in the mix. This is the logic I subscribe to and by no means offer this to suggest anyone else do so as well.

While I don't care to infringe on anyone's right to carry a firearm, I have never found a need to do so, and never will. Even living in thick bear country in Alaska where encounters with huge browns was a weekly occurrence, I never felt a gun of any kind would have improved my safety beyond what was afforded by common sense and bear spray.

Statistically, roughly 750 people die of accidental shootings PER YEAR in the US. There are roughly 3 bear-related deaths per year, in NA. That dwarfs the 26 killed by dogs, or those whacked by lighting. According to a study initiated by bear expert Tom Smith over the course of two decades, there were more fatalities whereby a gun was used for bear defense than that associated with bear spray. In fact, of 133 spray-thwarted attacks, there were only three reported injuries. Of 269 gun-related defenses, there were 17 dead people as an end result. Just having a gun statistically is less safe than not having one.

Regarding the two-legged threat, again, statistics provide a powerful, and frankly pleasant report. For every one report of violence in the back county, there are millions of safe visitations to the woods.

I understand the argument that having a gun simply increases your statistical odds, but the odds of needing to augment those odds is.....you get the idea.

So, no. Count me amongst those who feel no need to carry.

I understand your view point and respect it but....................statistically in 30 years of driving (drive 50k+ miles a year) I have never had major accident but I still put my seat belt on every time I get in a vehicle!

chet6.7

Explorer
sssssssssssss.jpg
As I remember it,the fellow that took that picture was killed by that bear.Perhaps,statistically insignificant in the greater scheme of things,but,a major event in that guy's life.
Would bear spray or a firearm helped in the situation? Who knows,he could have sprayed himself in the eyes or shot himself in the foot,or,he may have been able to prevent his own death.
I used bear spray on a pit bull that was killing my neighbor's dog,it did not work as well as I believed it would.It did temporarily dive on the ground and rub it's nose in the dirt,but,it was right back up within about 10 seconds.Maybe I should have used the whole can? I thought,at the time, if it can stop a charging bear,a dog would not need a full blast.
Hitting that dog on the top of the head with a revolver stopped the attack for a few seconds as well.It was one of the few times I did not have a knife on me,that may have been the weapon of choice that day,as I was to close to inhabited buildings to legally shoot the dog.
No weapon works in all situations all the time,but,training and mindset can help sway the chance of success your way.
Being aware helps,but ,that only goes so far.I spent many years working in a place where my state stores some of it's most dangerous predatory humans,being aware does not necessarily stop attacks,it does help you from being to far behind the curve to react.

CSG

Explorer
Where it's legal, I always have a gun. Where it's not, I'm not saying. ;)

Most of my camping is dispersed and remote, not being prepared is simply foolish. That said, I've never needed the firearm I've had with me in 40+ years of camping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles